Small guillotine

On 26/07/2020 at 12:17, AY Mod said:

No need to pay that much https://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/hand-tools/cutting-hand-tools/the-chopper-ii.html

Used one for years; recommended.

There's a similar-priced Proses cutter but with more plastic than good old-fashioned metal.

Another vote for the NWSL Chopper 2 from me. Had it for years and being cast metal, it seems sturdy enough for many more. With these tools, you get what you pay for.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Out of the blue, I was approached by a colleague at work and offered a loan of a NorthWest Short lines Chopper. I didn't even know he was a modeller. Just came up and said that he saw my post on here and would I like to try his before buying. So cheers Ken, but I don't know your user name. And thanks for the offer Jack Benson, but I won't be needing to take up your offer of a loan of yours.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JZ said:

Out of the blue, I was approached by a colleague at work and offered a loan of a NorthWest Short lines Chopper. I didn't even know he was a modeller. Just came up and said that he saw my post on here and would I like to try his before buying. So cheers Ken, but I don't know your user name. And thanks for the offer Jack Benson, but I won't be needing to take up your offer of a loan of yours.

That was good of him. Let us know what you think JZ. 

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

That was good of him. Let us know what you think JZ. 

Turns out we both have cover turns on Tuesday morning, so I'm going to take a few bits in with me to trial.

• Like 1

These are my modifications to the cheap plastic one

Add a green resilient cutting mat - I also needed to shim the angle of the blade to compensate for the slight change in geometry.

Added an endstop - I think this is pretty much essential, I initially used a plastic setsquare, but have moved onto this piece of 2mm brass.

I've also added a brass extension to the left hand guide, I found oblique cuts in thin materials without some support nearer the blade, the material tried to shy away from the blade.

Jon

IMG_20200802_184526.jpg

IMG_20200802_184532.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, jonhall said:

These are my modifications to the cheap plastic one

Add a green resilient cutting mat - I also needed to shim the angle of the blade to compensate for the slight change in geometry.

Added an endstop - I think this is pretty much essential, I initially used a plastic setsquare, but have moved onto this piece of 2mm brass.

I've also added a brass extension to the left hand guide, I found oblique cuts in thin materials without some support nearer the blade, the material tried to shy away from the blade.

Jon

I think by the time I've arsed about with the mods to this, it would have been more worthwhile buying the North West short Lines one anyway.

No offence meant.

• Like 1

The depth stop idea could also be a useful addition to the NWSL one.  I do find on occasion that the 'proper' ones can slip on occasion especially with long runs of cutting.  Thinking Cap now securely applied to cranium.............

• Like 1

Ken has his Chopper, with a new blade, in the car and I have some bits of wood and plastic in mine. Neither of us have yet to pick up anything, so hopefully by 5am tomorrow, I can hit the purchase button on my phone to get my very own one winging it's way to me.

8 hours ago, 5050 said:

The depth stop idea could also be a useful addition to the NWSL one.  I do find on occasion that the 'proper' ones can slip on occasion especially with long runs of cutting.  Thinking Cap now securely applied to cranium.............

I've often meant to try a modification that was written up in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette about 30 years ago - to fix one jaw of a digital caliper to the bed of the guillotine, and the other to an end-stop, so you could just dial in the length you wanted - with cheap plastic calipers under a tenner these days, I think that would be an interesting improvement.

Jon

Suitably impressed with the cutting. Did a few pieces of flat Plastruct and some wood of various thicknesses. Didn't get a lot of time as he had to go and drive a train. But one has now been ordered.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

Ordered at about 05:00 on Tuesday morning, email confirmation that it had been collected by DHL Global at 22:00 same day. Delivered at 10:45 this morning, Thursday. Seller was in Arizona, 5100 miles away. To say I was shocked by the speed of it's delivery is an understatement.

20200806_113017_resized.jpg.dd767c08ed9c11ebcf492d17e390c448.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Did it work out cheaper getting it from the States?  Was it actually sent from there, or perhaps a UK address?  And if it came from the states did you get stung for import duty?

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Did it work out cheaper getting it from the States?  Was it actually sent from there, or perhaps a UK address?  And if it came from the states did you get stung for import duty?

Bought it through Amazon. Yes it was sent  from The US . It was £4 cheaper and postage was free. No, I didn't get stung for duty/VAT. And apologies, it was from Michigan, not Arizona. That was something else I bought.

20200806_131425.jpg.8ceca9f9b93c001a8177dc0577ac0ba0.jpg

Original mailing label.

20200806_131647_resized.jpg.ce219b371a6b208c2ae9da5314831334.jpg

Labelled by Yodel in UK.

Link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northwest-Short-Line-Chopper-II/dp/B004P3SRI0

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teaky said:

Gosh darn it (as they say in westerns).  I ordered one the day before from the same seller but via eBay and it is still with DHL in Illinois!

Bought my daughter's boyfriend a t-shirt from a shop in Texas. It was sent DHL priority. Took 10 days to reach Chicago, where it sat for two weeks before being shipped to UK.

9 hours ago, teaky said:

You know how to cheer a guy up! :no:

At least buying from Galactic Toys, your UK duty is paid up front and free postage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Chopper II turned up this morning.  Nice bit of kit.  I'm pleased with my choice.

Despite my earlier posts I wasn't actually too fussed about delivery taking longer than JZ's and in the end it arrived on the very first day of the delivery window specified on eBay.  The only reason I chose eBay over Amazon was that I received some Nectar points.  Otherwise the price was the same.