Tulloch Bridge, West Highland Line, Mid 2000's - Present day, 4mm Scale

Rammstein2609

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2022 at 09:46, Rammstein2609 said:

Hi All

I’m pleased to say that Tulloch Bridge is at Model Rail Scotland this weekend!  Well, the scenic section is.

49B589A8-61B9-45CB-8A10-139C662516F2.jpeg.8240082c2076d23ae0fcaead27f5aab5.jpeg

The Scottish Modellers demo stand ended up being a lot larger than we had booked so I’ve filled a space with the scenic board where I will be working on the scenics over the course of the weekend.

Pop by and say hello if you’re at the show.  Stand C22, top left corner of the hall.

Thanks

Martin

Diverted to this by Rhys’ photos from the show :) stunning buildings and great backscene too :) 

Are the buildings your own creations?

10 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Martin,

Great to meet you today at MRS. simply stunning project! Can’t wait to start Bridge of Orchy. 

Thanks again

Rhys

Hi Rhys

Great to meet and chat with you over the weekend too.  I'm excited to see the layouts others start creating with these building kits.  The more West Highland layouts on the exhibition scene, the better in my opinion.  The response to my layout and the buildings over the weekend have given me a boost to get on with the development and get these out to market.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Diverted to this by Rhys’ photos from the show :) stunning buildings and great backscene too :) 

Are the buildings your own creations?

Thanks for your comments, I'm rather happy with how things have worked out on the layout for now.

The back scene is from ID Backscenes and I believe the photo was taken somewhere in Wales.  I think it looks good for Scotland too!

The buildings are my own creations.  I started back in 2011 when I visited Rannoch several times and physically measured up the station building and signal box.  Back then I was hoping to recreate these in 2mm scale but other things got in the way and now 11 years later I've finally managed to create these in 4mm scale.  In doing my research, I have found some subtle differences between a lot of the stations on the line which have this design of building so can potentially produce a kit for each station.  Next on my list is Crianlarich as I would quite like to make a layout based on there.  I've already made a start on the engine shed by counting bricks from photos I've taken and I managed to physically measure up all the other buildings so have plans for these too.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Rammstein2609 said:

The response to my layout and the buildings over the weekend have given me a boost to get on with the development and get these out to market.

Well please keep us informed as they are miles ahead of the basic kit I’d bought to use as a basis. With a few Bachmann 37’s and the new Accurascale one on the way I’ve got the stock and long been planning a new OO layout ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rammstein2609 said:

Next on my list is Crianlarich as I would quite like to make a layout based on there.  I've already made a start on the engine shed by counting bricks from photos I've taken and I managed to physically measure up all the other buildings so have plans for these too.

Railway Modeller for September 2014 has a set of drawings for the engine shed which may save you some brick counting.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Slow progress has been made over the last two months as and when I find time to do anything.  I've been focussing on finishing the track laying in the fiddle yard which is now complete.  Attention then turned to wiring up the whole layout so now I just have to finish off the straight fiddle yard board and scenic board which are actually the simplest boards to wire up.  Each board will feature a DCC bus, 12V DC bus and LocoNet bus.  The only wires connecting each board together will be each of these Buses and everything else like turnout control and block detection will all be kept on board with all data being transferred via DCC bus or LocoNet.  

IMG_4916.JPG.5d8eb5ce9943e2798285c5f9e2945776.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG.70665597095869a0af173b52d473afed.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG.b2d00d136f5827ad2707c4ffc9f8fc87.JPG

A few weeks ago I decided to lay the fiddle yard out on the floor and place some trains to see what would fit and I've figured I need a bigger fiddle yard!  I knew this was happen anyway and the plan was never to build a massive fiddle yard for such a small scenic section.  instead I utilised some of Tim Horn's curved baseboards I purchased a few years ago for a 2mm project which never got started.  The idea with this layout is to test block detection and automation so the fiddle yard may seem excessive but there is sound reasoning behind the madness.

IMG_4879-2.png.3774ccd4bf0d1297c6b8620d0598a9e8.png

I've also spent some time adding DCC sound into most of the fleet (only a few locos left to do).  I've used Loksound V5's with double iPhone speakers supplied by Rainbow Railways which sound great and have a good degree of playability.

Thanks
Martin

• Like 4

Hi All

Another quick update is the physical control panel I've been working on over the last week.  I like the idea of controlling the whole layout via a Raspberry Pi running JMRI but also being able to take local control via the DCC handset or a physical mimic panel.  Therefore I have developed my own plug & play system compatible with LocoNet which allows me to use push buttons to change turnouts, signals and other accessories such as platform lights and station building lights. 

IMG_4985.JPG.426c8639c1de4b0e3aa35f98aa999431.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG.62cd14633b20296f13ecacb9ee325e27.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG.7857213cfc17a8918243ce75521657ac.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG.e365758b3ff4f9aa02e1ff310905f6ef.JPG

The only two cables required from the layout to the control panel are a power cable and LocoNet cable, everything is kept inside the control panel to reduce complexity.  I have uploaded a short video to YouTube showing me cycling through the push buttons then showing how the panel reacts when the turnouts are switched via the DCC handset: 

I have also incorporated some push buttons in the middle of the fiddle yard roads which will be used for route setting.  All I need to do with this system is add the physical buttons to the control panel and program a DCC address to each.  This is then assigned to the appropriate route which is set up in JMRI meaning all I need to use is a single DCC address to set each of the routes.  This also means that any adjustments can be made in software meaning I don't need to change the physical panel.

IMG_4989.JPG.e1dc67d09244788252edebf50a7bc98c.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG.3994bb59bdb088b6d9a774b1bd33ebad.JPG

So far the system works as intended so I'm happy.  A few clearance issues with the DuPont connectors have crept up so I will modify future versions of my PCB's to take this into account.

Thanks
Martin

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately a bit too far to get back for a 3pm shift but have fun. Appreciate the same general busyness will have delayed progress but how are the buildings going? 

Edited by PaulRhB

13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Unfortunately a bit too far to get back for a 3pm shift but have fun. Appreciate the same general busyness will have delayed progress but how are the buildings going? 

Yeah normal day job stuff has majorly slowed things down then I was trying to get the layout done before this weekend.  I reckon I’m a few weeks away now.  Just need to cut a kits worth of parts for a final test build then should be good to go.  I’ve got all the packaging ready to go too so not long now.

I’ll keep you updated when the buildings are ready to go.

Thanks

Martin

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, shed64a said:

Would love to know more about the control panel and how it all works.

Hi

It would have been good to speak to you at St Andrews but the layout proved to be more popular than I expected so most of the weekend was spent speaking to people about its construction - this is the reason I operate from the front as it gives everyone the chance to ask questions and gain ideas.

The control panel has been a long process to get to where I am but now I have a process I will be using this on all of my layouts going forward.  Before I try to explain how I built it, I think it may help to explain the main reason why I've gone down the route I have.  I operate my layouts using DCC and really like the idea of adding a degree of automation to everything so the computer can drive trains and signals and all I have to do is focus on driving my train.  In order to do this, I want to be able to change turnouts, signals and accessories using either the DCC handset, physical control panel or touchscreen.  If I use one particular method I want everything else to be automatically updated across the whole layout so there is no conflict.

In order to achieve this with a physical control panel I had to find a way to incorporate push buttons rather than toggle switches.  I stumbled across this website describing how to build various open source LocoNet compatible boards to control many things on a layout: http://www.lucadentella.it/en/2021/05/14/impariamo-insieme-lncontrolpanel/

I have taken this idea a step further by incorporating the Microprocessor and inputs/outputs onto a single PCB which then has a box built around it and a reverse engraved front panel is added to the front to finish it all off, producing a very nice and professional looking panel.  Once the panel is built, the software is loaded onto the microprocessor then I plug in a serial programmer where I can program what each input/output does.  I have simply set these to Turnouts, inputs are push buttons and outputs are display LED's.  Each input/output has a DCC address programmed to it so the PCB itself is basically just an accessory interface which tells the command station that something has happened and the command station does the rest.  I have also incorporated buttons to trigger routes which are set in JMRI and accessories such as station and platform lights.  This is done in the Arduino IDE serial monitor and is very easy to complete.

IMG_5097.JPG.a716ec0dccf8442e2349d0e2b3fd4bbc.JPG

This is the back of the PCB.  All power, processor and communication circuits are on the left and all resistors for the LED's are SMD to easy construction.

IMG_5100.JPG.20b89093fa50d329cd5af0f4041986ea.JPG

The front of the PCB during testing.  The LED's illuminate which route has been set.  The DCC addresses for accessories and routes are also visible.

1972778924_LocoNetpanelserialmonitorscreen2.png.8aeec08b378e283a7fc7e105531a7af9.png

This is the menu when you connect the control panel to the Arduino IDE serial monitor.  As you can see, IO can be set to be used as a turnout or a sensor and the individual pins can have their own DCC address.

376255800_LocoNetpanelserialmonitorscreen3.png.07644d2651ba788d33ce5a9670cf3932.png

This shows the screen after you have programmed all of you IO.  These are the DCC addresses I'm using for Tulloch Bridge.

I have tested the expandability of the software and can reliably get a panel with up to 112 inputs/outputs working on an ATmega328 processor.  It starts to run out of memory at this point so if you want to incorporate up to 128 inputs/outputs you need to upgrade to something like an ATmega2560.  The 128 inputs/outputs is a physical restriction of the I2C bus I believe as each of the MCP23017 IO expanders needs to have its own address which is physically assigned on the PCB so can't be changed in software later.

IMG_5496.JPG.44834e97e55d6df9d057ebf976c92969.JPG

The PCB is built into a laser cut box which produces a solid control panel.

IMG_5497.JPG.2c6bc50766149b418f0ecaf10bf7f699.JPG

The whole control panel is only 30mm thick.  The only ports are on the right hand side, these are for power and LocoNet.

IMG_5498.JPG.c5b7a1c9dfd53b26fc173336094e4f4c.JPG

This is the front of the panel once the reverse engraved panel has been added.

IMG_5465.JPG.ce0f1d83c0d9b97b5cebc595e271505e.JPG

A photo of the layout with the control panel attached to the front of the layout.  This isn't a very good way of attaching the panel to the layout but I finished the panel on the day of setup for the St Andrews show so had to quickly attach it somehow.  I will develop a better way of attaching it to the layout.

The end result is a sleek looking control panel which only required a power cable and 6pin telephone cable to connect it to the layout.  There is no need to run hundreds of wires to and from the layout to switches and LED's.  The beauty of this system is its  modularity.  If you have a large layout you could use several small localised control panels positioned around the layout rather than have a single large control panel.  Or you could have one large master panel and lots of smaller localised panels for depots, yards, etc.  

I hope that helps, if not please let me know and I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Rammstein2609
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 7 months later...

Hi All

It's been a while since I've updated this topic but I have been slowly working away on some rolling stock in preparation for several shows this year.  I had a quick photo session outside in the garden tonight before the light disappeared and thought I would share them to show some work is happening behind the scenes.  The layout still needs parts finished before everything will be weathered together.  Not all of the rolling stock is ready for photos yet so I've borrowed a rake of TTA's and OTA's from @MRDBLUE17 for these photos.

DSC_0737.JPG.643fdd5064df9a99b090c78df76a8074.JPG

DSC_0741.JPG.7fc67447685b982b711957dfcf812815.JPG

DSC_0743.JPG.5bbd38b257a5c4d2ac0383a7b0c83a7d.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG.d8e6ff497e3a9bfcb9a281264001e892.JPG

DSC_0752.JPG.fc8daf811c14c7b93bfc553f0ee1b187.JPG

DSC_0753.JPG.dcb6e80771ec40f7aeeccdad59f958f6.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2023 at 20:48, rob D2 said:

Great photos ! 
I don’t think the sleeper passengers would like the choice of 37174, be freezing their asses off !

Just need an ETHEL.

Paul.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Some work has taken place on the layout in preparation for this weekends DEMU ShowCase where Tulloch Bridge will be appearing.

A couple of new control panels have been made since the original was a little too large.  These have used the same construction methods as before, custom PCB built into a box with laser engraved front panel and 0.8mm plywood veneer.  These only require a LocoNet cable and 12V DC power cable, everything else is handled by the onboard microcontroller.

IMG_6707.JPG.d5314a158883040782dcc1e41b946767.JPG

IMG_6654.JPG.3da7510c2369f55034c9c2aae4257593.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG.a569259c4cf58f7b3a7869f79e6b3808.JPG

I also like the idea of having information boards on either side of the layout so have drawn up the below in Photoshop and had them professionally printed onto 5mm foamex.  These have been attached to a plywood frame which simply screws/unscrews onto either side of the layout.  They also act as a small scenic break from the fiddle yard so the next train passing through is a surprise.

IMG_6709.JPG.d54d82a1d9ce24e0690269b4225d0d30.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG.6a25f5a5191b0845e99ecc0cddda4e07.JPG

Lastly, most of the work has taken place on the rolling stock.  I have been weathering everything, cleaning wheels and changing speed tables to allow me to thrash the locos which have sound fitted.  The below shot is a favourite of mine since these autoballasters took two days to weather and I thought I had ruined them half way through.  I've got them to a point I'm really pleased with.

IMG_6740.JPG.b587d73624b578af3a230c196654c748.JPG

As mentioned above, Tulloch Bridge will be at DEMU Showcase this weekend so pop by for a chat and a look at the layout.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1