The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

14 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Great post Alastair, may your entwined lives enrich each other.

C6T.

Many thanks...Yes, they are entwined, and it's not in the least one-sided.

I hasten to add, the windowsill isn't a repository for tools being used on a job.

Living as a male singly [my choice really, rather than an imposed choice]....I don't really 'do' gucci ornaments, etc.

My idea of such clutter consists of old tools, etc liberated from a late Uncle's estate, and essentially, ''on display''....Not keen on china and stuff...

Thus, there's an old school ice pick/mountaineering hammer, a rock hammer, a new old mallet, one or two nice wood & brass tools [out of shot], and even an ex RAF air navigators''where-the-'eck-are-we'' device....

The distribution is entirely down to the cats' input.

Last night they had to 'stay out' all night.

Felix [the B&W tom] decided to go out around 8 pm..normally he's banging on the back door to be let back in, around 9-9.30....but not last night. When it came to my bedtime, [I had let the log fire die down] I called, and eventually found him just outside, oddly, very intent on watching for what I presumed to be, a scuttler of some description. He didn't want to come inside, even for a Dreamie...and Tiggy arrived downstairs, and though she'd join him in the scuttler-watch!

I did warn them I was off to bed.....to no avail.

So I locked up and went upstairs.

This morning, early doors, as I arrived down stairs I espied Tiggy in the front garden...She spotted my presence and trotted rapidly to the front door, which I opened. She then turned and hesitated, appearing to be sending ESP messages to Felix, who appeared from under the hedge....both then came in, to enjoy a freebie pouch each.

She does look after him really...Maybe it's a 'female' thing?   This, despite their ''Cato & Inspector Clouseau'' relationship. {I did notice a very Pink Panther relationship between the two.}.

Currently as I type, both ensconced in their favoured places.....Myself having lost the use of a very thick, new wooly jumper Tiggy has discovered.....upstairs. cannot use the settee as Felix is stretched out along it, in luxury....

Communication between them, and myself [and others] has developed a very strict routine.

I note, they both use their voices to communicate with me...yet not between each other.  Tiggy uses a lot of chirrups to me these days too.

Good fudd like bits of chicken, etc, or fish, are often quite growl-worthy.  I try to avoid letting them access stuff which may be salty....which doesn't stop Felix enjoying posh cheese & onion crisps,when he can get his head inside a crisp packet.

They are both ardent washer-uppers, it seems!

It now seems I have to sort out vets and medications for them....after more than a decade of not needing to. 

What will they do if I fail to wake up one morning [as oldies over 70 are prone to doing?]??   I cannot see them being happy to move to an entirely new house....they are hardly of the domesticated sort really.....not indoor cats by any means [although currently they are both dead-set on disproving my assertions!]

Will they be happy to adopt a new tenant, come the time?

Do I need to fix up a doorbell to the outside of the back door, low down by the cat flap?  

When the family visit, they are now used to getting up to open the back door when they hear the rattling of feline feet.....They find it mildly amusing that these cats actually knock on the door to be let in.

By the back door is a ''coal shed''.......[which doesn't contain coal...can't afford the stuff anyway]....the bottom of the door having a tunnel-mouth shaped hole in it.

Both Tiggz and Felix use the hole, as do two of next door's other garage cats, and probably one or two other feine visitors....Inside, besides some old new tyres and car seats being stored in the dry, are some old dust sheets....Just the job on a wet cold night for curling up on.

I notice the hole getting bigger and bigger.....as all the cats gradually grow in size!

I am not concerned about rodents and the car seats...not with so many 'hunters' hanging around almost constantly.

I am thinking of making a nice carved surround to the cat's 'hole'....making a 'feature' of it, rather than trying to block it up...which would only upset feline folk.

There is a well trodden path imprinted across my front grass [AKA, lawn?]....where next door's garage cats , over the years, have made their way through the hole in the hedge, round to my back door.

Now, one could get all snarky and uptight about all this damage [alias, adjustment?]....One could get noggity about putting up with it all..But, really, what is the point?

It's not as if I'm a ''superior being'' here....We all have to live  on this planet, and share it.  Ownership is really just a transient idea in the greater scheme of things.

Far easier just to be laid back about it all, live & let live, get on with it and enjoy it for what it is.

They haven't yet found my train stuff......Well, not really, although they have both crawled all over the various boxes and stuff.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 4

If we let Cookie out early he will eventually sit on our bedroom window cill, we live in a bungalow, and bang on the window until we let him back in.

The rest of the cats sit on the recycling bin by the back door and then stand on the handle, which if unlocked let's them into the kitchen. 

Mia and Max swing from the door handles and let themselves into the bedrooms. 

Winter who is plain lazy just meows until it gets on someone's nerves and they let her in or out.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

Unfortunately ours have found my train stuff. Walking all over the baseboard and knocking things over is great fun - I was just in time to rescue my ATSF Mogul from a fall off the baseboard onto the tiled floor the other day.... The guilty party was Rowena IIRC.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has been posted before - I had a quick skim though and couldn’t see it.

I was just browsing the Wizard Models website - link below - and this ‘test product’ came up.  Brought a smile to my face.

Test product = cat!

Edited by 4630
  • Like 6
  • Funny 9

On 27/01/2023 at 19:32, 4630 said:

Apologies if this has been posted before - I had a quick skim though and couldn’t see it.

I was just browsing the Wizard Models website - link below - and this ‘test product’ came up.  Brought a smile to my face.

Test product = cat!

Oh please can I have a ‘test product’ for my birthday 🥳 

• Funny 2