Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On Cats

didcot

4 hours ago, Craigw said:

My Sister in law contacted me last week with a problem. One of her cats was being bullied by her other 3 and she wanted to know if I could give her a home. Failing that, could I assist in finding her a new home that better suited her.

She arrived at our house yesterday and was a little unsettled at first and hid. By the time I went to bed last night, she was sitting beside me and today she has started exploring the house. No issues with our other cats or our Cavalier King Charles. All I have to do now is work on my dear wife who is grudgingly accepting she will stay with us. One of our foster kittens goes to his new home next weekend, so the numbers will stay the same!

So, please say hello to our new family member Sassy, the Maine .

Regards,

Craig W

2023-02-04 19.34.54.jpg

Welcome to the world of MaineCoon .  They are wonderful.  My MaineCoon Tilly sends greetings to Sassy.

Edited by eastglosmog
Dealling with that pesky policing program that does not know that MaineCoons are cats
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I’m guessing the software is censoring the full name of the breed? 

My mum has Maine , big softies with enormous tails. 

Andi

Initially I thought I had made a typo and went back to correct it. I saw the word go in but the thought police behind the software decided that some  cat breeds are apparently Vertboten. 

Regards,

Craig W

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Well, makes as much sense as the theory they are a result of interbreeding between cats and racoons!

🤣

Before that get's "legs", a quick search would seem to indicate that the Vikings were responsible! 

"Genetic testing suggests the Maine is a descendant of both the Norwegian Forest cat and a mysterious extinct domestic breed, so it's likely the Vikings are responsible."

Whether that's true or not I'll leave to you!

Also:

https://petskb.com/is-a-maine--part-raccoon/

Edited by Hobby

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

🤣

Before that get's "legs", a quick search would seem to indicate that the Vikings were responsible! 

"Genetic testing suggests the Maine is a descendant of both the Norwegian Forest cat and a mysterious extinct domestic breed, so it's likely the Vikings are responsible."

Whether that's true or not I'll leave to you!

Also:

https://petskb.com/is-a-maine--part-raccoon/

Afraid you're a bit late about the legs - that theory gets quoted in most Mainecoon books (in spite of being biologically impossible and debunked at least 140 years ago)!

As the origins of the Norwegian Forest Cat are as obscure as the Mainecoon, saying Mainecoons are descendants of Norwegian Forest cats doesn't get you much further!

Doubt if the Vikings as such were responsible, the Viking settlements in Newfoundland were rather short lived and before the probable date of development  of the Norwegian Forest cat.  Only thing for sure about both breeds is that they are descendants of a male and a female cat.

Going backwards a little... Racoons, they're funny sods. So what's their genus? Initially I was thinking Badgers or Canine/Foxes. But those dexterous front paws lean me towards Bears?

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Well my Tom cat is off for a minor surgery this morning, currently politely reminding me I seem to have accidentally taken his food away last night, and it’s breakfast time…

Does ceasing to be a Tom cat count as minor surgery? 

I think Tom knows the answer to that.

Best wishes for the op

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't be fooled by that sign into thinking he's one of the hospital cleaners - that's a job for dogs as illustrated on the sign.

Robotic dogs too - that's K-9 on the sign isn't it!

• Agree 4