RMweb

On Cats

didcot

39 minutes ago, JZ said:

She did put me in A&E once. She absolutely hates having her spot on flea treatment and she tore a big  cut into the palm of my hand. Often it takes two of us to get it on. My daughter wraps her in her motorcycle jacket while I put it on. Or I try to catch her unaware.

Yuh, I see the necessity but unfortunately mog doesn't, and it'll do nothing for her confidence not to mention leading to an inherent distrust of leather jackets.

There are alternatives to the owner applied spot-on treatment however and I just wish the jab was around when I had Roxanne. Poor little girl hated the spot-on and I hated having to give it to her.

C6T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Yuh, I see the necessity but unfortunately mog doesn't, and it'll do nothing for her confidence not to mention leading to an inherent distrust of leather jackets.

There are alternatives to the owner applied spot-on treatment however and I just wish the jab was around when I had Roxanne. Poor little girl hated the spot-on and I hated having to give it to her.

C6T.

The other can be given it when he is eating, or even just lying around, he really doesn't mind and neither did my previous ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At "application time" I show my pet/master* the offending article and wait for it to calm down**.

When it's asleep/settled, (and really can't be ar$ed), I apply it in three drops down the neck - as deep into the fur as possible.

He's not happy, but this is now much easier, and just prefers to get it over with***.

Kev.

*delete as applicable...

**This used to take a day or so - is now down to 20 minutes!

***Sometimes going into full pi$$ed wet through routine by running around rubbing itself on as many textile surfaces possible.

Edit, to add the word "through".

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A really cute little dark grey kitten appeared a couple of days ago. It seemed to be on good terms with the other visitors, especially Geronimo, but has disappeared again. Hopefully it's returned home as it looked well cared for.

The weather seems to have turned autumnal today - only 20 degrees and a bit rainy. There seems to be a general, "we want to come in!". Toby has just appeared - he is usually out and about when it isn't food time. Likewise Raphael (large Siamese) who is curled up in a tiny box on the kitchen table.

There a John Wayne western on TV. It looked interesting with an American 4-4-0 on screen, but that didn't last long....

The visitors will need their shots if they become housecats.  (Help!)  My left index finger is almost recovered from trying to get  Marina in her carrier for a trip to the vet a couple of weeks ago. it required a course of antibiotics and the swelling has still not quite gone down.

Don't get me started on the delights of applying Spot-on!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Jabs are the way for flea treatment. The cat already hates the vet anyway!

Sure they aren't happy you took them down there, but how were you to know the nasty white coat bastard was going to be so mean?

Here's some Dreamies...bestie.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Elvis* is a very picky feeder, but Dreamies are always accepted....

*Originally Citrullo (a dialect word - look it up for meaning. it wasn't altogether wrong!)  and not officially our cat (though he now thinks he is) as we are looking after him for the local refuge centre. He came to us scared of his own shadow and would go into hiding when we appeared to feed him. Cat treats made him think that perhaps these hoomans weren't trying to eat him after all* and now he's integrated with the other cats (and dogs) and adores being made a fuss of - a complete turn round, and meritorious of a proper name.

* Creatures who will share these can't be all bad!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 16/10/2023 at 22:45, Il Grifone said:

Elvis* is a very picky feeder, but Dreamies are always accepted....

*Originally Citrullo (a dialect word - look it up for meaning. it wasn't altogether wrong!)  and not officially our cat (though he now thinks he is) as we are looking after him for the local refuge centre. He came to us scared of his own shadow and would go into hiding when we appeared to feed him. Cat treats made him think that perhaps these hoomans weren't trying to eat him after all* and now he's integrated with the other cats (and dogs) and adores being made a fuss of - a complete turn round, and meritorious of a proper name.

* Creatures who will share these can't be all bad!

Pretty much the same as doilum then.......

1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Owing to storm Babet Tilly decided to dispense with the patrolling the boundaries part of the morning routine and by mutual agreement go direct to opening of the tin of catfood for breakfast today.

Gizmo seems to be fairly impermeable - no sign of him at bedtime last night even though it was chucking it down.  I worried enough to come down later and he was curled up on the sofa as usual.  Possibly he doesn't realise it's raining until the water has found its way through his very long hair.  

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 18/10/2023 at 22:03, amdaley said:

Imagine trying to teach a puppy simple commands is fun with 5 cats to distract here 😏

Spot has around a dozen feline distractions and a pair of large canine ones. Despite these, he has learnt 'Sit', 'Down', 'Come/Get out of the kitchen!' and, 'Pappa' ('food' - no problem with this last  one of course!). I am told these should be 'Seduto', 'Giù', Vieni/Vai fuori della cucina!, but I have my doubts here - he certainly thinks he has found his forever home (as in stretched out on the divan!). As also have the visitors - I had all three kittens following Whiskers, Lewis, and me on the walk last night, tails held high.

With reference to the recent griffon spottings*, one would appear to be Doglia.

http://www.lifeundergriffonwings.eu/it/dati-scientifici/mappa-grifoni-gps/doglia

Not exactly overhead, but they tend to fly in circles looking for carrion rather than straight lines and a few kilometres are nothing to a griffon in any case ("Damn it's time to flick my wing-tips again!").

*Here or on the 'On Dogs' thread.

Edited by Il Grifone

One step up from a box:

IMG_8553.jpeg.7091254ddeb2c0f05af83fc6ac9b5130.jpeg

This is the Stanley Cup - the championship trophy for the National Hockey League.

Every year, each member of the winning team gets to take the Cup for a day to their home town.

My son and his family got their photo taken with it when it was brought to the town they live in last week. Our grandson has to bring a picture of a pet to school next week. So a quick photoshop added Nou-nou to the photo - job done!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2023 at 21:03, amdaley said:

4 months old Toffee, a Cavapoo.

Cavapoo's are the sweetest little dogs, they're also incredibly smart little dogs.  My dad has one and I am totally in love with her.  They love to chew, so Lilly gets lots of Yak milk "bones" to distract from the furniture 😜

IMG_20231014_1635205202.jpg.e5c37738a6c99befb148275a613440bd.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1