The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I don't think that would work with some of mine.  Probably use it as the morning workout before terrorising the local rodent population.

Well, you'd be surprised. Also stops other local cats from getting in. Apparently some folk in places like London use it to stop urban foxes getting in their garden.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The cats do sometimes escape into the back garden when the dog is let out to make a mess on the lawn.  We've got a 6' high fence all the way round the garden, but I've still had to put trellising on top to stop them climbing out.  Seems to be working so far.

Actually the whole decking job cost very little indeed.  We were given over £1000 worth of planking, supporting joists and balustrading on freecycle(!) - it had been offered as old timber for making raised beds on the allotment, but when I saw it I decided it was in much too good condition to use for that.  All I head to buy was decking screws, decking paint and frame hangers to secure one end of each joist to the wall of the house.

Still got the decking over 10 years later - but we gave up the allotment!

• Like 5

On 01/01/2024 at 23:59, Il Grifone said:

Geronimo has lately taken to coming on walks with me, the dogs and Whiskers. The other night I snuck out with just Whiskers  and the dogs and came back to Geronimo glowering at me, "Why did you leave me behind?!"

So I took him and of course Whiskers had to come too (less dogs). About ten metres on, I found Dylan had come as well, so I had three cats with me on a mini-walk!

We ended up with quite a routine for the evening constitutional.  The dog would decide it was due, so the duty human would change their feet and put on a coat.  Then it was a matter of finding the cat and asking if he were joining us.  Harvey could be indoors, outdoors or visiting neighbours so might join after the walk had started.  If it were just Toddy, then it would be round the block.  But if Harvey was with us, then it would be out and back as he would disappear into a garden and do what a cat has to do.  His trick was to wait on a wall and land on Toddy as he came past.  All 50 years ago.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

Is she sat in Hadleigh Road perchance Andi?

C6T.

She is sitting in the trees by the tunnel mouth behind the loco sidings. The wooden sections are the curved wall that leads from the tunnel.

A

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

She is sitting in the trees by the tunnel mouth behind the loco sidings. The wooden sections are the curved wall that leads from the tunnel.

A

Ah, Ipswich Station. (I always thought the stretch betwixt London and Hadleigh Road bridges would make a good layout.) Have you a link to a build thread?

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ah, Ipswich Station. (I always thought the stretch betwixt London and Hadleigh Road bridges would make a good layout.) Have you a link to a build thread?

C6T.

I'm building everything south of London Road to the tunnel. I get a lot of assistance from the cats.

The late Keith Wright had been planning to build East Suffolk Junction, hopefully one day someone will do it, my ESJ is part of the north end helix. 

Layout thread here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Panic this morning!

The tribe set off for their morning walk - me, Lewis and Arran (the two dogs), Whiskers and Geronimo (the two cats) plus Dylan cat. Dylan took one look at the weather (promising rain) and went back inside! (He's not stupid.*)

All went fine until we got to the top of the hill**. Everyone ignored Stella (neighbours' small dog) barking (yapping really - she's smaller than the cats!), but then the other neighbours' pack of three  medium/large dogs*** arrived barking furiously (not aggressively though - their tails were wagging furiously) and our two had to join in of course. Poor Geronimo turned tail and ran. By the time I'd broken up the barkfest, he was nowhere to be seen. Whiskers had stopped before to investigate something interesting, so missed all the excitement. I got them all home and set out to look for Geronimo, but no trace. By now the rain had set in, so back home. A second expedition was equally fruitless. Later on I took advantage of another break in the rain and took Arran with me. There was no sign of him and we were returning home, when I heard a plaintiff mew behind us and there he was trotting along. I called him and he broke into a run to catch up. Treats all round when we got home! He's now on his chair in front of the stove.

* Ex stray (most of our cats and the dogs are). He came with Whiskers, but unlike him (and Geronimo come to that), didn't wait to be invited in. I've never seen a kitten move so fast! Gate to indoors - pow!

** I thought to go looking for Toby who seems to have a second home and we suspect its one of these neighbours. (He has taken to staying away for several days at a time, but returns with a well-fed air.)

Stella (his mum) has moved next door, but is still very friendly when she sees us, but Maurice (his dad) is staying and not going anywhere.

*** One white and two black - not quite as large as our two, but big enough!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, pH said:

Do you need a programme to keep track of all the players?

That's only some of them! 🙂

In addition we have a new 'visitor'. A grey and white long haired cat has taken up residence in the cat kennel we keep on our front patio (the last inhabitant was Geronimo before his promotion to housecat). He shot out of the gate this morning, but quickly returned to scoff the food I put out for him* and a later refill disappeared too.

*It looks like a 'he', but I haven't got close enough yet to confirm.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Craigw said:

I acquired a second hand High Level Kits Armstrong - Whitworth diesel late last year and started work on it over Christmas. Guinevere was keeping a close eye on things while I was working.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_4422.JPG

Decisions,decisions. Do I have it on the floor now, or wait until it is almost finished, running sweetly and ready for paint........

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/01/2024 at 11:17, Craigw said:

IMG_4422.JPG

I think Guin' is actually multitasking here.

1) Sitting on the paper the ooman is rudely paying more attention to than me.

2) That'll look better on the floor...

C6T.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham, got any ham?

IMG_6692.jpeg

Lovely picture. My daughters cat is partial to a bit of ham, but apparently it is referred to as ‘hammy wammy’.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

48 minutes ago, big jim said:

Lola checking us out earlier (with the help of the eldest lad)

Boo!

(Ghost boo, not dislike...I hate it when I have to explain myself.)

C6T.