Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls

Bassettblowke

Some time past I posted a few pictures of a row of terraced houses made from a kit purchased off of eBay, despite a search I can’t seem to find that thread. Unfortunately a recurring theme these days. Anyway Sebastopol Terrace as it’s now known has had some recent additions and subject to planning approval will be further extended. Also from the same seller a three story house and a warehouse have recently joined the development.

I have always liked the Uncle Joe’s Mintball Tin and thought it would nice to incorporate the Victorian stylised logo on the back or side of one of the buildings  So having a spare tin to hand and a pair of tin snips the can was opened up and with the aid of a rolling pin the curved tin was flattened and then placed on the copier/printer and a copy printed off. This was then glued to the rear of the Warehouse in the hope that it would resemble one of the painted wall signs that can still be found around Liverpool. These kits are affordable and simplicity itself to build and to my mind compliment 1930’s tinplate perfectly.
Under development is Inkerman Street and Alma View and the gas works off Balaclava Road.

56ADF711-18D5-458D-B61A-D370E0BE8193.jpeg

1AA99A4B-7B60-4DC2-8B70-95DEAA3003BA.jpeg

B91F6E34-5244-43B7-A264-86A442D0A741.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Quite an attractive tin if tins are your thing and whilst wanton destruction isn’t normally my thing with this example it’s modern and still freely available. It’s also from a local manufacturer close to my neck of the woods and still situated in the Lowry type industrial landscape that is fast disappearing from the North West.

As you can see from the picture the tin is very glossy tin plate However once photo copied on the printer it came out as a Matt finish which was more suitable for the gable end of a building, if your a dab hand at weathering it could be easily finished with a  suitable industrial soot and grime effect.

here’s the Cut up tin and an intact example, the contents are nice to.

4CC0F165-3E11-40F5-A1AA-8AD05BA407EE.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 6

I've loved Uncle Joes Mint Balls ever since I saw the ad on the end of the terrace at Wigan and found out they still make them.  At one time when living in Staffordshire pre internet, I found a stall in Hanley Market where they sold them loose by the quarter pound, when they were unheard of in the Midlands, so regularly used to go up to Hanley for my fix.  Of course they are readily available on the 'net today which rather spoils the "exclusivity" of days gone by.

I'm sure Uncle Joe was the reason why I developed Type 2 diabetes in my 50s but hey ho been there, eat the sweets, got the teeshirt (literally...)

• Like 3

I agree about the taste it makes you wonder why so much of today’s confectionery contains a list of ingredients as long as your arm when something as simple as a mint ball can taste so good. Whilst diabetes is a constant worry for us sugar fiends hopefully consuming these won’t lead to us sprouting a second head any time soon. Don’t mention Smarties.

looking back at the Victorian era and the following decades many shops and commercial premises were plastered in signage, be it the vitreous enamelled style copied by Bassett Lowke and others or in some cases ceramic panels let into brickwork but my favourite has to be the painted signs. Mainly because they were mainly one offs tailored to a particular building.

Here’s one a couple of miles from me, sadly adulterated in no doubt a well meaning attempt to preserve it, however it would have been better left alone. It was hidden for many years by an adjacent building, when that was demolished the gable end was exposed and the old mural was there to be seen. When it first surfaced the colours were far more vibrant the blue in particular. Sadly as mentioned before it was over painted in modern masonry paint which if you look carefully is starting to peel showing the deeper more vivid blue it conceals. The surrounding masonry was originally bare brickwork but during the so called renovation it was given a coat of terracotta masonry paint which didn’t do it any favours. Hopefully given time it will all peel off and the original will be viewable in all its faded glory.

5C428658-125F-4321-B438-B15ECDA0507E.jpeg

• Like 3

There was an advertisement hoarding on a building in Chester years ago.

When it was taken down, a painted sign was revealed. 

BOVRIL

FOR REAL

BEEF FLAVOUR

Yellow lettering on a deep blue background...

This has been fading away for years now...No one seems interested...

https://goo.gl/maps/xXxA6trbEeFLuZVf8

You can still make out the thin white marks from the hoarding that was removed...

Also, the old painted street names...

Edited by Sarahagain
Added reference to street names
  • Like 3

Here's the real thing - I walk past here when going into town, always a delicious aroma when they're boiling up !!!

507149_3290ea0e.jpg

6959338811_f4f510cb0a_n.jpg

Even Charlie likes em !!

img?regionKey=AvcpK2Q1MyZSAJr%2Bx3ypnw==

And we have a song !!!

Brit15

• Like 7

93076FD0-3661-4CB1-B0E7-F46514ADA6EB.jpeg.0366f8a69737492565952c4c129a5adf.jpegThey are available in several scales not just 7mm, the guy trades on eBay as fair-price-models and he also has his own website the name of which eludes me at the moment. It’s cheaper buying direct and for repeat purchases he offers a 10% discount. I will see if I can rustle up his website name and get back to you.

and the answer is......

Modelrailwaystation.com

Which when I checked didn’t seem to be working, now that’s not very helpful.

Edited by Bassettblowke
Omission
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2020 at 22:57, sir douglas said:

when i first heard the song a few years ago on the radio and had never heard of this before i thought it was meat balls

Sam, there's a Bentley's Bitter advert been revealed on the end wall of the pub that's being 'renovated' down Thornes Lane (The Nelson??) by the viaduct.  Well worth a photo I reckon.

• Like 1

Nice to see this more elaborate version of the sign and the differences in the building, primarily the windows on the ground floor which have been subsequently bricked up. Also on the pavement is a concrete lamp post now replaced with a tall skinny steel one no doubt the original lighting would have been gas on a cast iron post. The one constant being the product itself.

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Like 1

A similar style of building Situated on Mount Pleasant in central Liverpool dating from the early 1800’s, given the nature of schooling back then the name board might be a bit of a misnomer. The factory kit marketed by fair price models would lend itself to both subjects be it a toffee factory  or a School.

DC9CF2FD-C0B0-4970-94F0-1BF3048CC7F4.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Never heard of Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls before this thread so I obtained a tin of them.  Very nice they are too.

Cheers

Darius

Keep em away from your grandma !!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Never heard of Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls before this thread so I obtained a tin of them.  Very nice they are too.

Cheers

Darius

Actually it encouraged me to get a large bag (2 Kg....) of them as well, as the last time I had any prior to now was a good 5 years ago at least!

Rather like the new style individual wrappings, rather than the ones they used to have in the past. I remember when the ones supplied in tins weren't even wrapped.....

Used to be a regular thing to bring back after visiting my Mothers parents (in Burtonwood) from the late 60's through to the early 1990's, as you couldn't buy them out of the "area" (North West) back then.

• Like 3

Another survivor from a bygone age when Coal was King and Wigan possessed a heavy Industrial base. This is a simple Coal order office a short distance from Waterloo station on the old LYR line from Liverpool to Southport. Over the years it’s had many incarnations but recently the signage was removed to reveal its original sign board, Aged and faded it still proudly proclaims WIGAN COAL & IRON COMPANY.

• Like 2

Another piece of history this humble bollard which has miraculously survived the plague of metal thieves that descended on the local area about 10 years ago. Sadly the cast street name fell victim to them so here it is, a thing of beauty in my eyes, it’s sat in the back alley for the last 105 years  at least and still looks good for another centuary. Also included is another rare survivor the gas lamp standard half way down the alley now employed as a line post by the adjacent property.
1FBC96F7-4550-4D04-8174-4239E498EC49.jpeg.c3e4170a3c8eaba3365f50d9a02fe15f.jpeg

DAA1C746-B578-4067-98A3-776E51712D76.jpeg

6581E735-4AD4-44C5-BF40-5C030CB4667F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

F47A038E-0779-4E0A-8557-E2F479914F2A.jpeg.d43894f3bbd3c7cb602c183ab28f8f68.jpegOften when building a kit such as the ones mentioned in this thread I have to struggle to resist the urge to make “the perfect model” in reality perfection isn’t often found in the real world. Slipped slates, leaning chimney stacks, peeling paint and general decay are often more the norm  especially in industrialised areas.

how bad can you build a model is often a thought when I look around the North Liverpool Dock area that was virtually reduced to rubble by the Luftwaffe. Here’s an example of a badly damaged building, partially repaired and still in use today.
once upon a time a three story building now two and a half. To give some context, this is the state of the local area once the main road  into the city had been cleared. To the left of centre are the three sisters, the local name for the three chimneys at Clarence dock power station and the enormous crane further to the left is Mammoth a floating crane self propelled and capable of lifting 200 tons97F8827C-0DCF-49D9-92A2-3950FA2854B5.jpeg.c425511d633eaa02e04625e46a85a10f.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
Spelling
  • Like 4