RMweb

RMWeb Curry Club.

C126

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2021 at 21:52, 57xx said:

Here's my variation on C126's pheasant curry.

The marinade for the meat was as per the original plus a teaspoon of Kashmiri chilli powder. I also toasted some black cumin and caraway seed and ground them up (not used in the marinade).

IMG_20210104_183447.png.772681ef190da64b8bb654ca8f4737b7.png

After browning the onions, I added a couple of chopped tomatoes and fried until the oil separated.

IMG_20210104_183422.png.2b79ba7482045cc935f81d2129829023.png

The meat was added and sealed, and then the toasted spices were added.

IMG_20210104_190707.png.7f4c99e726f31d33f7ab1535d8100118.png

The excess marinade was added along with some water for the sauce.

Served with pilau rice, pickles and chopped fresh green chilli.

IMG_20210104_194859.png.9200a0a4318afe56d6e4ba87d89e7b38.png

Sorry not to have read this sooner!  Hope you enjoyed it.  I trust it tasted good, and you will have another go?

• RMweb Gold

I have not forgotten this thread, but the recipes I hoped to post were disappointing (two Pheasant 'casserole' curries and a mediocre fresh Coriander Chutney).  However, I tried the following for the first time yester-day, and hope it might be of interest to others.  Scale up the proportions as wished.

'Indian Coleslaw'.
('Parveen's Indian Kitchen', episode 2, 27th January, 2019.)

PICT2301.JPG.fc39f713298b23bd5469ba1b8c37248e.JPG

Ingredients.

Half a small raw white cabbage, sliced to taste.
Half a red onion.
Half a large raw carrot, grated.
1tbsp. Mayonnaise.
1tbsp. Yoghurt.
1 tsp. Turmeric.
1 tsp. Nigella seeds.
2 tsp. Tamarind paste/syrup.
Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper.

Mix in a bowl the mayonnaise, yoghurt, turmeric, Nigella seeds, and seasoning.
Add chopped cabbage, chopped red onion, and grated carrot.  Drizzle over tamarind paste/syrup.  Mix thoroughly.  Serve.

If anyone experiments with the spices and proportions, do tell what the results are like.  I do not know how 'authentic' the dish is, but it provides a pleasing and unusual 'crunchy' addition to a main meal.  I used up the last of it to-day on my 'Pav Bhaji' lunch rolls (coarsely mashed left-over curried veg.).  My partner has just suggested it would be tasty in cheese sandwiches, perhaps, as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, C126 said:

Sorry not to have read this sooner!  Hope you enjoyed it.  I trust it tasted good, and you will have another go?

It did indeed, so much so I have already tried it again. :) I still have some Pheasant left in the freezer too for the future.

Last night I did a Mutton Korma (though not like a BIR korma) and can post up a link to the video I took it from if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 57xx said:

Last night I did a Mutton Korma (though not like a BIR korma) and can post up a link to the video I took it from if anyone is interested.

Yes please, at your convenience!  I am pondering trying mutton, and scouring www outlets as none local.  Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2021 at 09:10, C126 said:

Yes please, at your convenience!  I am pondering trying mutton, and scouring www outlets as none local.  Many thanks.

Still unable to source goat vindaloo within delivery / collection distance.  Also unable to source goat meat for home-currying.  Any ideas?  TW1 / TW2 area.  

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

Depending how much you need, you can get it from several places online e.g.

Enough for one.  With the option that if a minimum order is a greater amount that I have the option to readily portion and freeze the rest.  Dr. SWMBO won't go near anything hotter than a korma and while she will eat goat it is a meat which tends to take the hotter bases better in my opinion.  

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2021 at 11:14, 57xx said:

Completely forgot to add that link for you. Here you go:

Many thanks for that; the Urdu(?) commentary is delightful, and gets you 'in the mood'.  I was surprised at the 'thinness' of the sauce/gravy, and the amount of salt...  Also, the garam masaala was simmered in for only two minutes: I thought one left it for 5-10 mins.  Lots to ponder.

Despite my efforts over the last month, the 'curry freezer' still lacks space, but I hope to get some mutton a.s.a.p.  Thanks and best wishes to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enquiring of my local butcher's as to mutton last weekend, I was ridiculously pleased he said he had some diced Goat instead: one Kg. for eight quid.  I have looked out several recipes to try (a couple "Afghan"), and when they have matured in the freezer for a month I hope to post the results here.

Meanwhile, as the second recipe simmers for another two hours while I type, I have looked out some suitable head-wear and reading material..

PICT2394EDIT.jpg.81f045e3d869eebd342a4d2b818d3c9f.jpg

Edited by C126
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Re, Pheasant casserole curry attempts failing.

I mentioned above a while ago a couple of attempts at doing a spiced pheasant curry, based on seeing Mary Berry cook whole breasts in a sauce.  However, when I attempted to add spices, these did not seem to have made any beneficial difference to the taste.  Talking this over with a gourmand boss of mine, we wondered if this is because pheasant is so lean, there is no fat to act as a 'carrier' for the spice oils.  Hence one must marinate it, to get the flavours to permeate.

Does this sound sensible to anyone else?  Any other theories for this failure?  It could just be my incompetence, of course!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, C126 said:

Enquiring of my local butcher's as to mutton last weekend, I was ridiculously pleased he said he had some diced Goat instead: one Kg. for eight quid.

Was that on-the-bone or off-the-bone? Sounds like a very good price!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 57xx said:

Was that on-the-bone or off-the-bone? Sounds like a very good price!

This was what may be called politely "asymmetric lumps", I assume cut while frozen to include small bones at all angles, plus quite a bit of fat in places as well.  He gets it in from a wholesaler, he mentioned.  Will see if I can take a photo of the second two batches, cooking to-day.

• RMweb Gold

Herewith the second two 250g. portions, as you can see with varying degrees of bone and fat.  However, this makes for an excellent sauce...

PICT2397.JPG.f6a5a4e6fcdc43aa57ac6fe9004bc407.JPG

Knowing now the proportion of lean meat in each portion, I would have used 500g. per two-person portion in this experiment, as last night I had less than when I make mattar-paneer, for example.  However, I could do with losing weight, and had a tasty naan, salad, and pickles and chutneys to go with the goat, plus a glass of Rioja which tasted good.  Hope this is of interest.  Sorry the picture is rather 'lurid' for a Sunday morning!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not forgotten this thread, and have a few projects 'maturing' as I type: four goat curry recipes to compare (initial results from two - under-spiced!), and three large jars of the following improvised Chutney.  My partner picked up a copy of:

PICT2460.JPG.a1dc84e0d140964591d26ac2c37d7dae.JPG

PICT2461.JPG.034c0229419a01f025c56e23dbef1770.JPG

in a charity shop last week, and I recommend it, although have read only a few chapters so far.  Please be aware it mentions the 'unsavoury' attitudes of the time to the Indian population and servants in particular, quoting liberally from contemporary printed sources.  But generally, I am finding it a good read - laugh out loud at times - and certainly wish I had been employed out there in the 18th-century, when food was served to obscene excess, and I could have eaten curry three times a day for the whole of my consequently short, gluttonous life.

I was gazing at a jar of shop-bought 'Premium Lime and Green Chilli Chutney' a few months ago, and wondered suddenly, 'Why don't I try making my own?'  To my surprise, there are no recipes on the internet (although plenty for pickle) nor in a few books to hand, so I adapted one from Dame Marguerite Patten's 'The basic basics jams, preserves, and chutneys' (2001, rev. ed.), "Orange and Lemon Chutney".  Please be warned I have tried only a tsp. straight after making it.  Initial thoughts were: 'under-spiced, lime flavour and sharpness dominate, peel still al dente'.  However, I hope to taste it 'properly' after a month's maturing, when the spices will have permeated and the balance settled.  In the mean-time, I hope this recipe will be of use to others.  Please let us know here how you get on, especially if changing the ingredients.

Prototype Lime & Green Chilli Chutney.

N.b., a 'two-stage' recipe, needing first stage to macerate for at least six hours, perhaps better over-night.

Ten limes (760 g. total).
7 whole green chillies (167 g. total), de-seeded and finely chopped.
1 pint white malt vinegar.
1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger.
8 oz. red onions, finely chopped.
1 lb. white caster/granulated sugar.
6 oz. sultanas.
Seasoning: pinch each.

Spices:
8x Green Cardamom seeds.
2x Bay leaves.
1 tsp black Mustard seeds.
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds.
8 whole Cloves.
1 tsp Coriander seeds.
1 tsp. Pepper-corns.
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon.
Pinch crushed Red Chilli flakes.

Method.
- Halve limes, squeeze out juice and reserve in 'fridge, then chop finely.
- Dry roast whole spices, then crush in pestle and mortar.
- Simmer vinegar for five minutes with crushed spices and fresh grated ginger.
- Add chopped, de-juiced limes and 1/2tsp. ground cinnamon to simmering vinegar and spices, and continue simmering for 15 mins.
- Turn out heat, transfer to glass bowl, and leave to cool and macerate for min. six hours (I did 6.5), but probably best over-night.
- Return to saucepan, add reserved lime juice, chopped green chillies, and chopped onion.  Simmer for an hour.
- Put jars into oven to sterilise (15 mins. from cold at 120 Deg.C.).
- Add sugar, stir till dissolved.  Add sultanas.  Simmer 15 mins. until like jam thickness.  Bottle in hot jars.

I was unsure whether to treat the mixture like jam and bring to a rapid roaring boil above 222 Deg.F., but did not.  It has set nicely despite this.  Perhaps could be simmered for longer to soften the lime peel, but I worried this would reduce the flavour.  Initial results as above.  Hope others have success trying it.  Bon appetit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My partner found the following in a charity shop last week, and I had to share (no commercial link/ interest in the co. or product):

PICT2500.JPG.7969ada3959804be07604705f6b817d9.JPG

To a born Librarian, you will have guessed I had a happy time yester-day assembling it (cleaning off flashing on joints) and re-arranging my spice cupboard.  However, as my cupboard is so wide, I had to place the 'C' shelf units side by side, and on the higher 'props' to clear the hinge on the left-handed door.

Before:

PICT2506.JPG.813a944d6215beeb4523d357800bd52f.JPG

(please forgive the pretentious jar labels, from when I was trying to learn Farsi/Persian)

... and after:

PICT2512.JPG.18cd84ccb74e1c1dc557fe3c247556dc.JPG

I am still pondering the arrangement, and the projecting 'middle shelf' will take getting used to, but it has increased capacity.  I can not wait to watch the accompanying video advertised on the packaging!  Best wishes to you all, and 'bon appetit'.

Edited by C126
Restore photos.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do like the spice rack but i think I will make one - now I've been given the seed of an idea.

Thanks for showing the book "THE RAJ AT TABLE". I went straight online and ordered a copy, £6.75 for a good copy, and am about half way through it but I really wish I had bought it new at the time! It would have been really useful.

I've found it fascinating as it is full of little anecdotes that I can relate to. (My grandfather was born in India to a British Sargent Major, in Poona.

I installed/visited several machines in the Punjab, Rajasthan, Bombay, Chandigarh, New Delhi, and somewhere way out of Cumilla...)

At three of these sites I did not stay in a Hotel, (the new factories were built on plots of land built "literally" in the middle of nowhere hours away form a city by car). There I either stayed in some specially built rooms, in the corner of the factory, or at the guest house built near the entrance to the factory compound.

Things were very different to what I was used to. The rooms "magically" cleaned themselves and the food was fantastic, (as in hotels), but as more and more time passed, I became aware of the many people dotted around the place that made it all work - the cook, the man in the house, the man looking after the garden, the old lady looking after the chickens, the driver, the cooks assistant, the go-for, the laundry people, the handyman, etc. I never realised they would all have specific roles and job titles, that went way back in time, even if I was dully aware of some sort of hierarchy being "strictly" in place!

At one site I was even guarded, day and night, by a platoon of soldiers armed with Lee-Enfield rifles with each soldier having one round each!

The book tells lots of history of meals and customs starting with the origins, the peak of popularity, and how they gradually morphed over time.

Some of these were stated to be still in common use today (1994) and when I come across these references, a big smile appears on my face as I recall the exact same thing happening/being witnessed by me.

My Great grandfather, the Sargent Major, came back to England and my Father tells me of some things about him. Like the time that my dad was courting my mum and would stay at the "Sargent Majors House" - where the garden walls were all whitewashed, all the meal times were strictly adhered to, everyone got up ridiculously early, he shouted a lot, and everyone was scared of him.

One night my father came back very late from some errands and didn't get to bed until past 2am. Come 6am, along comes the Sargent Major rousing / shouting and being very regimental to which my father instantly gave back an earful - having been in the forces himself he knew just what level / insults to use! After that, the Sargent Major and my Father got along famously - everyone else still being scared of him. My Great Grandfather lived to 99 where he was still active colleting for the Poppy Appeal.

One little piece of enlightenment, from the book, is how very fresh ALL the ingredients are/have to be. 

I have an eye on a couple of recipes, from the book, but I wont be trying the "Poona Sausages" anytime soon!

(I'll probably avoid the toast, as well, if it is prepared using a real fire!!!)

Again, thanks for the book reference.

Kev.

(Edit - to spell Cumilla correctly)

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Australian Sausage Curry" was presented for dinner on Friday.  Basically chopped sausages, fried onions, Keen's Curry Powder and instant Bisto all cooked out together.  Not at all bad, actually.  

Last night we indulged in delivered fish & chips and as is her norm SWMBO ordered a portion of curry sauce.  I had a little on the chips but prefer salt and mayonnaise.  

With all this (ver non-Indian) curry I hope we don't do down with the Indian Delta Variant :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SHMD said:

I do like the spice rack but i think I will make one - now I've been given the seed of an idea.

Thanks for showing the book "THE RAJ AT TABLE". I went straight online and ordered a copy, £6.75 for a good copy, and am about half way through it but I really wish I had bought it new at the time! It would have been really useful.

I've found it fascinating as it is full of little anecdotes that I can relate to. (My grandfather was born in India to a British Sargent Major, in Poona.

I installed/visited several machines in the Punjab, Rajasthan, Bombay, Chandigarh, New Delhi, and somewhere way out of Cumilla...)

At three of these sites I did not stay in a Hotel, (the new factories were built on plots of land built "literally" in the middle of nowhere hours away form a city by car). There I either stayed in some specially built rooms, in the corner of the factory, or at the guest house built near the entrance to the factory compound.

Things were very different to what I was used to. The rooms "magically" cleaned themselves and the food was fantastic, (as in hotels), but as more and more time passed, I became aware of the many people dotted around the place that made it all work - the cook, the man in the house, the man looking after the garden, the old lady looking after the chickens, the driver, the cooks assistant, the go-for, the laundry people, the handyman, etc. I never realised they would all have specific roles and job titles, that went way back in time, even if I was dully aware of some sort of hierarchy being "strictly" in place!

At one site I was even guarded, day and night, by a platoon of soldiers armed with Lee-Enfield rifles with each soldier having one round each!

The book tells lots of history of meals and customs starting with the origins, the peak of popularity, and how they gradually morphed over time.

Some of these were stated to be still in common use today (1994) and when I come across these references, a big smile appears on my face as I recall the exact same thing happening/being witnessed by me.

My Great grandfather, the Sargent Major, came back to England and my Father tells me of some things about him. Like the time that my dad was courting my mum and would stay at the "Sargent Majors House" - where the garden walls were all whitewashed, all the meal times were strictly adhered to, everyone got up ridiculously early, he shouted a lot, and everyone was scared of him.

One night my father came back very late from some errands and didn't get to bed until past 2am. Come 6am, along comes the Sargent Major rousing / shouting and being very regimental to which my father instantly gave back an earful - having been in the forces himself he knew just what level / insults to use! After that, the Sargent Major and my Father got along famously - everyone else still being scared of him. My Great Grandfather lived to 99 where he was still active colleting for the Poppy Appeal.

One little piece of enlightenment, from the book, is how very fresh ALL the ingredients are/have to be. 

I have an eye on a couple of recipes, from the book, but I wont be trying the "Poona Sausages" anytime soon!

(I'll probably avoid the toast, as well, if it is prepared using a real fire!!!)

Again, thanks for the book reference.

Kev.

(Edit - to spell Cumilla correctly)

A 'thumbs up like' is not really an adequate thank-you for sharing this with us.  It is heartening and moving to hear of such reminscences, and I do hope you persuaded Great-Grandfather to share memories of his early years and perhaps even commit some to paper.  Do keep us posted with progress on your home-made effort.  You will be able to make the 'upper deck'/'gallery' shelf the right width for your containers; the 'Spicy Shelf' along the sides is aimed more at the slim 'Schwartz' jars.  Phir milenge.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a few words on the above Lime and Chilli Chutney recipe and the goat curries, now they have 'matured'.

First, the chutney: the above made three 1lb jars (Garner's pickled onions), and was tried six weeks after making.  The peel had softened (so one did not think 'this is candied peel'), and the mixture tasted sweeter but still tangy and of lime.  However, there was little evidence, I thought, of spices, so when making I will double the quantities as listed above.  Or I could just be losing my sense of taste.  As it made three lbs. weight, if this were meat it would be about ten portions, so this could be why it needs more spices.

Second, the goat curries.  I modified four recipes to the quantity of meat cooked (8oz./250g. portions for each):

Aini Amin's Afghani Meat Karahi

Sumayya Usmani's Afghani-style Mutton Chop Karhai...

Rav Singh Ubhi's (B.B.C.) Goat Curry

Mimes Mehic's (Marigold Maison) Punjabi Goat Curry

The last calls for 5lb.(!) of goat, yet quantities of spices I would associate with a quarter of the weight; I proportioned the spices accordingly in the other recipes.  All were simmered for between two and three hours, the cut of meat as photographed in a post earlier in this thread: large cubes of mixed meat/fat/bone.

Alas, all were 'underspiced' in flavour, but very tender, with a rich, dark sauce, and strong meaty flavour I had not tasted for many a year (I eat little red meat now).  I do not know if the long cooking time 'wipes out' the spice flavours (so add towards the end instead?) or the strong meat flavour has swamped the spices.  I will double the quantity of spices next time, and also see if I can find a leaner cut of goat to add.  Beware; it is a meat that gets trapped in one's teeth if you suffer from this.

I hope this does not put off others, and look forward to reading how you get on and any other recipes enjoyed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven’t dipped into this thread for a bit now. And it’s always pleasant to catch up on the various culinary endeavours of my fellow RMWeb denizens.

Although I have not gone back to the beginning of the thread to read all the recipes, IIRC the majority are for curries from the Indian subcontinent (authentic or “interpreted“). And as much as I enjoy a good Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi curry I also enjoy curries from the rest of the world.

But why do I mention this? Because tomorrow I will be trying my hand (again) at making a Jamaican goat curry (JGC), but because it is difficult to find goat around here, I will be substituting lamb. Not optimal but it will do. And if all goes well, I will be sharing the results on this thread (well, at least the photographs thereof).

Perhaps my tastebuds are wearing out (I am an old geezer now) or maybe the chilies that I can buy around here are just not hot enough. But I have yet to get some really good “oomph“ from my attempts at a JGC. 

I would be more than happy to “try my hand“ at improving the quality of my goat curry on a regular basis. Sadly, Mrs iD doesn’t like it hot nor does she like kidney beans - two of the three great things of JGC! So only when she is away with the family can I indulge. But perhaps it’s the wait and the anticipation that make a JGC so much appreciated

iD

• Like 6

As promised, although a couple of days late, the photographic evidence of the Jamaican Goat Curry:4958EF12-C7A4-48F9-97C0-1CCFC6EC21C4.jpeg.c5031dbf6e49e8b074ebfab673026f6c.jpegI was quite pleased the way it turned out although it was by no means as fiery as I had wished. In the absence of Scotch Bonnets, I ended up using about eight long, thin, green and red chilies. Mrs ID would’ve found it, quite literally, eye-wateringly hot. But for me it was just a mild buzz.

One of these days I will be able to find both goat on the bone and Scotch Bonnets and then I will see if I can make a JGC that really packs a punch.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As promised, although a couple of days late, the photographic evidence of the Jamaican Goat Curry:4958EF12-C7A4-48F9-97C0-1CCFC6EC21C4.jpeg.c5031dbf6e49e8b074ebfab673026f6c.jpegI was quite pleased the way it turned out although it was by no means as fiery as I had wished. In the absence of Scotch Bonnets, I ended up using about eight long, thin, green and red chilies. Mrs ID would’ve found it, quite literally, eye-wateringly hot. But for me it was just a mild buzz.

One of these days I will be able to find both goat on the bone and Scotch Bonnets and then I will see if I can make a JGC that really packs a punch.

I do like Curried Goat, especially with rice 'n' peas! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see someone tackling spiced goat, and with a long-proven recipe @iL Dottore .  May I ask what spices you use, or is it just fresh hot chillies?  After my first attempts, I am looking to try and balance the strong flavour of the goat with the spices added.  All advice received with gratitude.