The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Curry Club.

C126

• RMweb Gold

Just consulted 'Mellors' in the Potting Shed, and confirmed with my Beloved, that 2019's and 2020's success was 'Lautrec', and also 2020 grown for the first time, 'Lyubajha'.  The latter appears to not be sold at the moment, but the former is thus:

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product/lautrec-wight-seed-x-4-bulbs

May I recommend an alternative to the milder Iranian 'raita' _Mast-o-mosir_ (which uses rehydrated shallots finely chopped), being a 'garlic raita'?  Chop a clove of raw garlic and stir into a few tbsps of thick yoghurt (and let stand for a few hours): a 'bold' flavour, but to those who like their garlic quite wonderful.  Just do not breathe over anyone else for the next three days.  One could use roasted garlic for a milder flavour, but I have not tried this yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A little something to accompany your curry, Curd Rice.

It's a simple dish of Rice, yoghurt and an oil temper.

Firstly, boil your basmati rice. when cooked stir through some yoghurt. I did 3oz rice and used 3 dessert spoons of yoghurt. IMG_20200907_191009.jpg.c5f5f04af9dc96e021a22700d5e4125e.jpg

Then make the temper. This contains 1/2 tsp Cumin seed, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, some chopped dried red chilli, grated ginger, curry leaves and a pinch of asofotida. For the oil I used about a dessert spoon (maybe a bit more, I do it by eye) of 50/50 veg oil and mustard oil*.

IMG_20200907_185906.jpg.43ee29159fef73cdda00f992877eaedb.jpg

Simply heat the oil and fry the spices.

IMG_20200907_191357.jpg.16442e50a7400b58fbbfdc3a0416caa1.jpg

Pour over your rice

IMG_20200907_191500.jpg.97551f6ae5c89fd7df78e167a3e74960.jpg

Mix it in and serve.

IMG_20200907_191622.jpg.cad255b5695b9e9599caba007eaa804a.jpg

*Mustard oil is actually banned by the EU for culinary use as it has very high Erucic acid levels. You can still get it from Indian grocers but the bottles are labelled "For external use only". The flavour it imparts makes it worth using in small amounts.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 10:31, APOLLO said:

Yes Yellow curry is a recognised Thai dish,

image.png.c92391443d49a8b8374f67fdef57915a.png

Thai curry is sold as a paste, never powder. We have two thai food shops here in Wigan which sell all sorts of goodies. If you have a more common Chinese food shop / supermarket near they usually stock Thai curry pastes, made in Thailand so the real McCoy.

This one is nice if you can find it.

Brit15

My 1kg tub of Mae Ploy arrived and I made a curry according to the directions on the back. It was really tasty but....... It wasn't yellow!, not like the Yellow Curry sold by the Annie's Thai Restaurant in March. I wonder if she adds Turmeric? The Mae Ploy has more heat too, and is thicker. Ate a second bowl of it tonight and I can see a third on the horizon pretty soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As it is Saturday, and I am still clearing out the freezer to make way for some 'new cooking' to demonstrate and post, I thought I might have a little silly/pretentious fun, and compose a 'curry banquet menu' as mentioned flippantly in my initial message a few months ago.  I do not mean to condone gluttony - I could not eat all the following - but I thought it might be amusing to list a meal with as many different kinds of Indian dishes in series as possible.  There was a web-page somewhere listing the 'Classic French' order of courses I found a while ago, and I read Sir Roy Strong's 'Feast' recently, which got me writing this:

1. Bombay Mix, Ginger Wine aperitif.
2. Hors d'OEuvre: Pakoras and Samosas.
3. Soup: Mulligatawny.
4. Curried Eggs and Dhaal (I have a recipe where they go nicely together).
5. Fish: Curried Salmon, Brown Basmati Rice, Cucumber.
6. Entree: Chicken on the bone Tandoori, Raita, Naan, Salad.
7. Joint: Turkey Korma, Chick-peas, Matar Paneer, veg., spiced Basmati.
8. Lemon Sorbet.
9. Roast Game: Pheasant, Dhaal, Red peppers and Paneer, spiced Basmati.
10. Veg.: dry-roast curried cauliflower.
11. Mutton Biriyani.
12. Cold: Beef mince ("Shami"?) kebabs.
13. Pudding: Gulab Jamon, Rassomalai.
14. Cheese & Biscuits.
15. Kulfi ice-cream.
16. Dessert: Iranian (I prefer them) dates, crystallised ginger, nuts.
17. Coffee, mints, liqueurs.
18. Paan.
19. Darjeeling tea and Digestive biscuit.
20. ENO's Fruit Salts.

If anyone has cooked mutton, I would be interested in hearing how s/he got on.

Feel free to suggest any types of dishes I have missed: I hope there is a good representation of types (dry roasts, thickly sauced, minced kebabs, etc.).  Probably best not to try this at home though. :smile_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have any room left then I would also add...

...Lady Finger (Okra), Chicken Chaat or Aloo Chaat.

Kev.

(A wafer thin Mint Sir?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I just wanted to supplement my 'thumbs up' to the above Curd Rice by mentioning I made it for the first time last night, and found it very tasty.  I must confess I have no asafoetida, so used a pinch of chopped fresh garlic clove, and minced ginger from a jar...

A different way of eating spiced rice, I hope others will give this a go, and it also means I need not make a raita.  Can anyone recommend a 'classic pairing' to go with Curd Rice: perhaps a 'dry roasted veg./meat'?  I assume something in a sauce or yoghurt marinade would be over-doing the rich yoghurt of the meal.  Does anyone know if it is from south India?  Further east?

Many thanks to you all for this and all your contributions.  Bon appetit!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2020 at 11:16, SHMD said:

If you have any room left then I would also add...

...Lady Finger (Okra), Chicken Chaat or Aloo Chaat.

Kev.

(A wafer thin Mint Sir?)

I have never been able to cook Lady Finger/Okra like the restaurants - who manage to get it to maintain a texture - my attempts many years ago ended up with an unappetising slime, so I gave up.  I have tried a few chaat recipes over the Confinement for lunch, and very nice they are too (Bhel Puri, Channa and Yoghurt salad mix).  Will give the Aloo Chaat a try.  They sell the masaala at Waitrose now, so we must be 'on trend'. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

White cabbage, Potato, and Pea curry.
------------------------------------------------------

I hope I am allowed to post a transcribed (and slightly modified) recipe here; please delete if this is against Copyright Law.

My partner tried this recipe for the first time last week, cabbage being an unusual ingredient (to me) for curry.  It being so tasty, I hope it might be of interest to others.  Taken from Hansa Dabhi - 'Hansa's Indian vegetarian cookbook', Leeds, 2000.  P.61.  Serves 4-5.

2lb./900g. Cabbage (we used 'Sweet heart'?) shredded to taste.
1lb./450g. Frozen peas.
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into 'bites' ('tikkas').
2 tsp. ginger crushed.
1 tsp. garlic crushed.
2 tsp. green chillies crushed.
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder (we used 1 tsp.).
1 tsp. ground cummin.
1 tsp. ground coriander.
1+1/2 tsp. mustard seeds.
8 tbsp. cooking oil.
2 tsp. salt (we used less).
3 sprigs fresh coriander to garnish.

- Heat the oil in your wok/pan.  Add mustard seeds and fry.  When they start to pop, reduce heat and add cabbage, potato, and peas.

- Add rest of spices, stir and mix well.

- Cover the wok/pan and simmer on low heat for 20-25 mins., stirring regularly until the potatoes are tender.  Prod with fork/skewer to check.

- Garnish with fresh coriander to serve.

------------------------------------------

Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.  Any other cabbage recipes/ideas gratefully received.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am delighted to report to all curry-lovers that the Curry Corner in Penzance has survived the Covid lockdown and is trading as usual.  This quite modest and, at first sight, slightly shabby establishment at the top of trendy Chapel Street has been there for over 25 years now and has survived everything.  Under the same ownership and the same female chef as always.  

They are a little tricky to find online with no obvious web presence and only second-hand references via other sites and social media.  The menu is somewhat more extensive than many other places offer, they deliver within a 6-mile radius and are otherwise take-away and cash-only.  A handful of eat-in seats is available but not in use until restrictions are lifted.  

Please drop in if in the area. It's not fast food - it's good food.  We had the lamb biryani (comes with a vegetable curry) and chicken korma this time around which were superb.  I have enjoyed the meat phal and many other dishes over the years and cannot get close to her sag aloo with my own efforts.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Distracted from this 'string' by, to my surprise, building a model railway, the results of two previous recipes were either unattractive (my partner's three-veg. roast) or unappetising (a game casserole experiment) so I have waited to post my recent enthusiasm...

PHEASANT CURRY.
--------------

Healthier than chicken, the ideal meat for marinating, with a history in India (especially Rajputana, I think), do not be put off by the 'toff' image.  Waitrose does a 'three packs for a tenner' offer, and as I find each 75g. (approx.) breast is rich enough for one, this gives six breasts for GBP1.67 each, which is cheap enough for me to treat myself occasionally.  However, do stock up now: the 'Season' runs only from 1st October to 31st January, so I like to get a few packs in the freezer before February.

This recipe has been cooked about four times, other variations not as successful I thought, and is an amalgamation of some from the internet and a couple of recipe books, all rolled into one.  I hope you enjoy it.  If you discover a better variation, please write here to tell us.  For example, should one add vinegar or lime juice to the marinade?  Start the recipe the day before eating, so it has a whole 24 hours to marinate.  And apologies for the horrible, lurid, 'Beige-o-rama' colour of the pics.

Ingredients (Serves four).

4 Pheasant breasts.
1 Red onion.
Garlic (2 cloves or to taste, chopped finely).
Ginger (1" or to taste, grated).
Yoghurt 1 heaped tbsp.  (I discovered we had run out, so used Creme Fraiche instead.)
Cooking oil 1 tbsp.
Pasata.

Masaala:
Coriander, ground, 1 tsp.
Cummin, ground, 1 tsp.
Cinnamon, ground, 0.5 tsp.
Turmeric, dried and ground, 1 tsp.
Fennel seed, ground, 1 tsp.
Green cardamom, shelled and ground, 0.5 tsp.

PICT2243.JPG.5328c8cbe13499521b649d28b31d64e0.JPG

(1) Dry roast and crush in a pestle and mortar the Fennel seed and shelled green cardamom (my bottle is of the ready-shelled variety, hence the lack of green).

(2) In a glass bowl, mix the marinade: yoghurt, garlic, ginger, masaala, pheasant breasts chopped into approx. 1" squares.

PICT2246.JPG.ab41ebea39fc4351c31f7776985328fd.JPG

(3) Stir well to coat all the meat tikkas, cover with cling-film, and put in the 'fridge for 24 hours.

The next day...

(4) An hour before cooking, take the marinated pheasant out of the 'fridge.

(5) Chop the onion finely, and fry on a low heat until it starts to brown (takes approx. 10-15 mins.).

PICT2250.JPG.f1e840c25ff8734fb5d2bdabd951691c.JPG

(6) Turn the heat up to medium, tip the pheasant mixture into the wok with the onions, and stir to seal the meat, browning the surfaces.

PICT2256.JPG.c521c128be24554979dbaea4d2cfeb05.JPG

(7) Add pasata to form a sauce, to taste.  In the photos, not only have I added too much pasata, but the yoghurt has separated (the little white specks).  This does not affect the taste.  All advice on how to avoid this gratefully received...

(8) Stir the mixture for a few minutes to coat and mix thoroughly.  Turn down heat to low, and simmer with the lid on.  Stir every 5-10 mins. to ensure the meat does not stick.

PICT2258.JPG.46c81499dd70a0384f012367744d59b6.JPG

I serve with either lemon rice, or pilau containing six spices (cummin, fennel seed, mustard seed, green cardamom seeds, whole cloves, cinnamon) and a bay leaf, and a full-bodied red wine (last night's was a Rioja).  Alas, again the oil leaching out does nothing to enhance its attraction, but I urge readers to give it a go!

PICT2259.JPG.9813e37463ecee1a06622a4e46dab89f.JPG

Bon appetit.

Edited by C126
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Excellent.  I have never been game enough to try currying pheasant. 

Coat

Hat 

Gone 

;) 

Thanks, Gwiwer.  Let us know how you get on.  I forgot to include "simmer for approx. 30 mins."!  Rather important info...  Sorry about that.  Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

Very similar to my treat for tomorrow night based on a Josceline Dimbleby recipe first spotted in a Sainsbury's cookery book "A Traveller's Tastes".  This is just about it https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/60705/josceline-dimblebys-rich-red-quail-curry-.   Having an aversion to picking out small bones from little birds I always use pheasant breast meat although tomorrow I will have to mix in some partridge breasts to make up the quantity.  The recipe suits turkey meat works as well.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks very nice @C126. Nice tip on the pheasant at Waitrose too!

Regarding stopping the yoghurt separating, try turning the heat down low or take the kadai/wok off the heat when you add anything with yoghurt (e.g. marinated meat or when adding more yoghurt for the sauce). You can then boost the heat back up for sealing etc. Not sure if it's possibly to do with using creme fraiche rather than yoghurt. I tend to use plain yoghurt, usually the thick Greek style because I like the taste/texture when used on it's own as well.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 57xx said:

That looks very nice @C126. Nice tip on the pheasant at Waitrose too!

Regarding stopping the yoghurt separating, try turning the heat down low or take the kadai/wok off the heat when you add anything with yoghurt (e.g. marinated meat or when adding more yoghurt for the sauce). You can then boost the heat back up for sealing etc. Not sure if it's possibly to do with using creme fraiche rather than yoghurt. I tend to use plain yoghurt, usually the thick Greek style because I like the taste/texture when used on it's own as well.

Thanks for the tip, 57xx.  I did wonder if it was because it was not pukka yoghurt.  I will try and remember it for next time.  Happy New Year to you all, as well!

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2020 at 10:32, C126 said:

If anyone has cooked mutton, I would be interested in hearing how s/he got on.

I missed this in your earlier post. I bought 1kg of mutton from a local farm shop a few months back, specifically to make mutton Biriyani. It worked brilliantly and had plenty to make some other mutton curry dishes. If you're worried bout it being tough, the stuff I got was absolutely fine and tasted great.

Edited by 57xx

I'm a big fan of curry of most sorts (Japanese curry is every bit as good as Indian food). Since meeting my wife (who is vegan) I've learnt a whole bunch of new recipes. And I'm completely obsessed with dahl. Also discovered that tofu can be tikka-ed and does a passable impression of Paneer, and mushroom "keema" is also excellent.

But more than that, I've learnt to make fantastic naan bread. The key is cooking with direct heat - I don't have a tandoor, but I do have a frying pan, and that's transformed the results. You're welcome.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

I don't have a tandoor, but I do have a frying pan

My 15" cast Le Creuset frying pan gets a workout every time we make Indian-style breads.  Dry heat only but make sure it's as hot as possible first.  It's a fair substitute for a tandoor.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/10/2020 at 11:19, C126 said:

I just wanted to supplement my 'thumbs up' to the above Curd Rice by mentioning I made it for the first time last night, and found it very tasty.  I must confess I have no asafoetida, so used a pinch of chopped fresh garlic clove, and minced ginger from a jar...

A different way of eating spiced rice, I hope others will give this a go, and it also means I need not make a raita.  Can anyone recommend a 'classic pairing' to go with Curd Rice: perhaps a 'dry roasted veg./meat'?  I assume something in a sauce or yoghurt marinade would be over-doing the rich yoghurt of the meal.  Does anyone know if it is from south India?  Further east?

Many thanks to you all for this and all your contributions.  Bon appetit!

Regarding the BIB - It is a South Indian dish. 'Classic pairing' is just the rice with pickles or at the end of a meal. When I fist got introduced to it, my work colleague was having it on it's own for her lunch. I like it with a curry, but do find a saucy one makes it all too sloppy so try and do a dry curry to go with it.

I have some pheasant marinating at the moment. Will post up the variation I did and how it turns out later!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 16:47, 57xx said:

I missed this in your earlier post. I bought 1kg of mutton from a local farm shop a few months back, specifically to make mutton Biriyani. It worked brilliantly and had plenty to make some other mutton curry dishes. If you're worried bout it being tough, the stuff I got was absolutely fine and tasted great.

Many thanks for all your contributions 57xx, and picking up my 'ponder' from a while back.  It is something that has been nagging me to try for a few years, and I just need the 'oomph' to find some and try cooking it.  I think I read (or perhaps heard on a foodie programme) when one sees "mutton", it is often a synonym for 'goat'.  I will have a browse among the recipe books and compose a recipe to try.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 21:09, Gwiwer said:

My 15" cast Le Creuset frying pan gets a workout every time we make Indian-style breads.  Dry heat only but make sure it's as hot as possible first.  It's a fair substitute for a tandoor.  

Thanks for this tip.  I have lusted after a Tandoor for years (the more impractical charcoal-fired the better!), knowing full well there is no way we can get one (gas fired) fitted, and I do not eat naan often enough to warrant it.  Mind you, making it fresh, knowing it will be cooked properly (rather than just a ready-made Supermarket naan drizzled and grilled) might make me try.  Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, C126 said:

I think I read (or perhaps heard on a foodie programme) when one sees "mutton", it is often a synonym for 'goat'. 

It depends on where you shop as to how people are subverting age old names/definitions. I have a European food shop in my town, it is great for all sorts of things and has a fresh meat counter too. I first used it to buy some "goat" for a Caribbean curry. It was very boney and didn't taste that goaty. I then later went for some mutton, I got exactly the same meat as I was given under the guise of "goat". I've no idea what meat it actually was/is.

Cut to last year when I phoned the farm shop about their mutton off the bone, I also asked if they did goat, to which they replied no. So at least I know this time I have definitely got mutton! I found a place online that exclusively sells goat meat, but it's a bit pricey and I'd need to clear freezer space before ordering.

• RMweb Gold

Here's my variation on C126's pheasant curry.

The marinade for the meat was as per the original plus a teaspoon of Kashmiri chilli powder. I also toasted some black cumin and caraway seed and ground them up (not used in the marinade).

IMG_20210104_183447.png.772681ef190da64b8bb654ca8f4737b7.png

After browning the onions, I added a couple of chopped tomatoes and fried until the oil separated.

IMG_20210104_183422.png.2b79ba7482045cc935f81d2129829023.png

The meat was added and sealed, and then the toasted spices were added.

IMG_20210104_190707.png.7f4c99e726f31d33f7ab1535d8100118.png

The excess marinade was added along with some water for the sauce.

Served with pilau rice, pickles and chopped fresh green chilli.

IMG_20210104_194859.png.9200a0a4318afe56d6e4ba87d89e7b38.png

• Like 3