Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Guest WM183

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, WM183 said:

Does anyone know if a company makes these type buffers, and what they may be called?

YZtXlh2.jpg

Might these be them?

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SLA7906%2F

Just guessing, but they look like “009 Collett parallel buffers” available from Warren Shepherd.

edit: which appear to exactly the same style as those you linked to, and Hal beat me to it!

Edited by GWR57xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2022 at 21:57, WM183 said:

I am ready to throw all this train crap in the garbage. How much money does one have to pay to get a kit that... you know, builds from the box?

There are various incarnations of the 1366 and I think they are all notoriously bad unfortunately. Finney, Mitchell, MOK, Connoisseur kits are all well regarded, to name a few. 

With the massive rise of r-t-r I suspect these will become scarcer and that's a shame. Referencing your van, Slaters kits make much more refined looking models than Dapol's versions for my money but I doubt they are selling that many now.

Using a sharpie on wheel rims is portrayed as cutting edge modelling let alone anything as involved as gluing plastic together!

Edited by Hal Nail

• Guest changed the title to Amanda's 7mm Stuff - A 1366T takes shape - and runs!

Amanda,  is the worm gear metal ? looks to be in the picture you posted.  I have found the nylon/plastic worm and brass axle gear to be a quiet combination with a Mashima motor. The metal gears rely on being absolutely square to each other - I have usually just set up the mesh/backlash by feel to the point where there is almost none.

In a thread on another forum relating to vintage and modern 'vintage style' tinplate trains, a short 'running in' period using toothpaste as a fine grinding compound has been suggested for a noisy gearbox - toothpaste to be washed out after running in period, of course !

Andi

Edited by andi4x4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Today saw the installation of the motor and gearbox. The motor is a Mashima 1833 that is silent as the grave. The gearbox is a Roxey mouldings 40:1 unit that... isn't. I hope it will quiet down some, it's loud as. I did get a bit over eager with my reamer when fitting the bearings where the axle goes through the box, and there is a bit of play. Could that be the cause of the sound? The gear lash feels good to me - no loading on the motor shaft, a bit (Just a bit) of lash in the axle gear to worm. The poor motor had to surrender most of one of its shafts to fit in the firebox, but it fits and it runs!

8t4M0oD.jpg

Just noticed no flange on the centre wheel set, does it really need those, just saying as when I was building a J72 (a long time ago) it had all wheel flanges and even on 36” radius it wasn’t a problem, just saying because it looks so much better.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, it’ll looks so much better. They must had envisaged some really tight corners on their layout!

On the gears issue as above sometimes they can be made a bit quieter by bedding in, on particularly noisy gear sets I have used fine automotive valve seat grinding paste first, it is obviously made for the job of “surfacing” and you can always finish off with toothpaste (but bare in mind a lot of toothpastes nowadays have not so aggressive abrasive properties) , as an alternative you could try automotive T-Cut.

• Agree 1

Perhaps you have already done this but I leave the gearwheel loose on the axle and run the motor so the gearwheel finds its own 'happy' position on the worm before nipping up the grub screw.   A bit of metal polish e.g. Brasso also helps bed in the gears. 

Ray.

On 28/10/2022 at 10:27, andi4x4 said:

Amanda,  is the worm gear metal ? looks to be in the picture you posted.  I have found the nylon/plastic worm and brass axle gear to be a quiet combination with a Mashima motor. The metal gears rely on being absolutely square to each other - I have usually just set up the mesh/backlash by feel to the point where there is almost none.

In a thread on another forum relating to vintage and modern 'vintage style' tinplate trains, a short 'running in' period using toothpaste as a fine grinding compound has been suggested for a noisy gearbox - toothpaste to be washed out after running in period, of course !

Andi

I also replaced most of my steel worms with nylon, and the locos quieted down nicely.

• Like 1

Hi Amanda,the only other controls I can think of are: Blower,Injector steam feeds,Vacuum ejector,don't know if 13xxs had steam heat.

ATB

Phil