Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Hi Jeff, this is brilliant stuff, very evocative. 

You mention recycling the dry stone walls from your previous layout(s) but I can't remember what happened to the previous viaducts (whose construction I followed avidly at the time, and subsequently made a poor imitation). Can you remind me please. Apologies if this has recently been answered - it's the age you know. Please tell me they didn't go in the skip. 

Regards, 

Brian. 

Evening Brian.

Don't worry about your age - we all know what happens when we reach 30, which both of us will attain next year (of course!). Actually, I don't think I've ever mentioned the "fate" of the 2 earlier viaducts.

The single track viaduct, built in 2012 to, supposedly, carry a local line - and never used (about page 20, original KL thread) - was given to a friend in 2016 to use as part of a static diorama.

The larger viaduct, built at the same time and used in both KL and KL2, is in my loft, sealed in bubble-wrap. It may come in useful at some stage. If I had the space I'd incorporate it into a small OO gauge test track, to exercise my locos.

So there you have it.....

Jeff

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Brian.

Don't worry about your age - we all know what happens when we reach 30, which both of us will attain next year (of course!). Actually, I don't think I've ever mentioned the "fate" of the 2 earlier viaducts.

The single track viaduct, built in 2012 to, supposedly, carry a local line - and never used (about page 20, original KL thread) - was given to a friend in 2016 to use as part of a static diorama.

The larger viaduct, built at the same time and used in both KL and KL2, is in my loft, sealed in bubble-wrap. It may come in useful at some stage. If I had the space I'd incorporate it into a small OO gauge test track, to exercise my locos.

So there you have it.....

Jeff

Around the Garden.:D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Around the Garden.:D

Evening Andy.

A quick look on RMW then I'm off to take pics of the Moon. Telescope set and tracking...

I planned to put a 10 foot 00 gauge run under the new baseboards, so the locos could at least get a run. It may happen, depending on how much "rubbish" accumulates by the time I get to the station area on the present project.

Getting them out of their boxes and into the display cabinets would be a good first step!

J.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

When I see modelling/layouts like this I often wonder why I even bother because there is no way I could achieve anything anywhere near as superb as that

If you go back and look, you can find some photos of Jeff's earlier work, and it looks like mine...to say, not that well done.  What it takes is time, and the willingness to go back and redo until you are happy.  (by "earlier work", I mean pre KL 1, not even KL 1...)

One area which has resulted in huge changes is taking photos- it's basically free to take photos of what you have done, so do so, and look at them in comparison to photos of the real thing.  That's telling !

James (who at times feels the same way...)

Edited by peach james
Added prior to KL
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes James, I'm in total agreement with you.

From 2002 to 2009 I built a "layout" in a spare bedroom. I thought it was wonderful. In hindsight, it was pretty cr@p, but it was a start.

Al (aka "Schubert on RMW) introduced me to this Forum in 2011. It was a total eye-opener and changed my outlook COMPLETELY. KL was a vast improvement, and KL2 much better than KL. ALL because of the input from people on here and, as James mentioned, because it cost nothing to post as many digital pics as you liked and obtain feedback.

I know I've mentioned this several times over the years, but the incident I remember most was my first attempt at a cutting, off the viaduct in KL. Within minutes of posting pics, Jason had remarked "that is sh1te!" He was right. BUT, and this is the big thing for MOST active posters on this Forum (yes, there are some to55ers), CONSTRUCTIVE criticism was then given to help me "get it right". I think my modelling has improved principally for this reason.

One other thing to add. If there are a group of fair, like-minded and sensible people - as there are on here - it doesn't matter if you make mistakes. Helpful advice will be offered to put it right. I'm still making plenty of mistakes, but it doesn't worry me if I do, and that mindset helps to try new, different things and not dread the consequences.

I've got some of those old pics on a hard drive somewhere. I'll dig them out if I get chance.

Thanks for that, James.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Zpelling MISS-takez
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Yes James, I'm in total agreement with you.

From 2002 to 2009 I built a "layout" in a spare bedroom. I thought it was wonderful. In hindsight, it was pretty cr@p, but it was a start.

Al (aka "Schubert on RMW) introduced me to this Forum in 2011. It was a total eye-opener and changed my outlook COMPLETELY. KL was a vast improvement, and KL2 much better than KL. ALL because of the input from people on here and, as James mentioned, because it cost nothing to post as many digital pics as you liked and obtain feedback.

I know I've mentioned this several times over the years, but the incident I remember most was my first attempt at a cutting, off the viaduct in KL. Within minutes of posting pics, Jason had remarked "that is sh1te!" He was right. BUT, and this is the big thing for MOST active posters on this Forum (yes, there are some to55ers), CONSTRUCTIVE criticism was then given to help me "get it right". I think my modelling has improved principally for this reason.

One other thing to add. If there are a group of fair, like-minded and sensible people - as there are on here - it doesn't matter if you make mistakes. Helpful advice will be offered to put it right. I'm still making plenty of mistakes, but it doesn't worry me if I do, and that mindset helps to try new, different things and not dread the consequences.

I've got some of those old pics on a hard drive somewhere. I'll dig them out if I get chance.

Thanks for that, James.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff’s sentiments above. If it had not been for looking at the KL2 thread and Jeff’s encouraging words, I don’t think I would have attempted the DAS walling on my latest layout/test piece. 
If you cannot handle constructive criticism, RMWeb is probably not the place for you.

By the way Jeff, if Hadrian was around today I think you would be part of his construction team with the speed you put a wall together across the fells :jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

As impressive as always!

I appreciate the use of technical terms eg “grotting”.

It raises the tone no end.

D

I'd considered using a term from quantum physics - "sh1ting up", but thought it might be too technical on here.

I'm just finishing the long section of walling. Having studied a dozen or so images of S&C cuttings last night I'm contemplating putting a first later of static grass on tomorrow. I have a couple of prototype pics in mind, which I'll post in the next few days.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Still envious of that last pic Young Jeff.

Cant wait to see a Video of a 40 wagon Coal Train, 9F hauled coming towards me.

I'll be happy to oblige you, Andy. Only one problem - I need a 9F re-gauging to EM before that can happen, and it's not a job I'm planning on doing myself.

You may have to make do with a class 8 pulling 40 wagons (!!) instead.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Right, a couple of pics. You can play "spot the difference" with yesterday's pics if you like, but having just done 5 hours work on it there ARE quite a few differences/"completions".

J.

20210521_192201 rs.jpg

20210521_192214.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Loving the accurate observation and attention to detail - the way that users of the stile/steps in the foreground have worn away the vegetation...

Edit: 

...but hadn't considered the trespassing element @DeadRingermentions below...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, DeadRinger said:

Love the stile.  but it seems to encouraging trespassing on the track?

DeadRinger

It was the only way to provide some access. The real thing has a fence, not a wall, and probably a gate.

At least the wall keeps the munching herbivores out!

14 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Loving the accurate observation and attention to detail - the way that users of the stile/steps in the foreground have worn away the vegetation...

Yep, it is deliberate, though the "wear and tear" will be greatly refined when proper grass work is carried out.

J.

Edit: If I'm honest, the stile is only in there to provide a break from the monotony of the walling. I hadn't considered the trespassers, either, but with the remoteness of upper Dentdale I doubt it'll be a problem.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

It was the only way to provide some access. The real thing has a fence, not a wall, and probably a gate.

Jeff, can you not make it a public footpath with a pedestrian crossing over the railway, constrained by a fence?

Such things do exist on the S&C, although I'm damned if I can find a photo to back that up.

Al.

• Like 3

Good evening Jeff and all Lunesters

I'm glad you've incorporated one of these,

2076773188_Pic1a.jpg.881412ee0dc447b24718eb384479be75.jpg

But how about one of these?

488595970_Pic2a.jpg.6e95589eca21d7e96f52d2b6244115b8.jpg

As soon as I saw it yesterday I thought of Gill Head, but, just like the stile, I realised it could not go in a railway boundary wall, but it could go in another wall on the layout.

Then I read Ali G's suggestion, I think that's a fantastic idea and a genuine reason for a stile in a railway wall.

Keep up the excellent work and one day this summer I'm coming down your way.

Chip.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lads, thanks for the information and suggestions. Al/Chip, good to see long-standing Lunesters still contributing to my threads.

I don't want to mess with the cuttings in any way, so I can't allow any public access in there, as per the prototype. The stile was a nice idea - based on one that Chip suggested for KL2 - but it will have to be removed. A 5 minute job with the scalpel and a bit of PVA.

Again, this shows the ADVANTAGES of being on a Forum like this. The feedback is very, very useful - and keeps us all on our toes.

Except for that contributor quoted below (only joking, Peter!)

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Are you sure you posted this to the correct group Jeff?

Well, Peter. There are clearly exceptions.....

Btw, as with Al and Chip, nice to hear from you. Believe it or not, your contributions are always welcome.

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would leaving the stile but adding a 'no trespassing' sign work?

There could be a rough path linking the enclosed railway track and cutting with the underside of the viaduct thereby allowing the railway maintenance staff to inspect the viaduct from below as well as above.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, teaky said:

Would leaving the stile but adding a 'no trespassing' sign work?

There could be a rough path linking the enclosed railway track and cutting with the underside of the viaduct thereby allowing the railway maintenance staff to inspect the viaduct from below as well as above.

Rob, thanks for that, and you've set me thinking.

Provided I have a reasonable excuse for the stile being there, then it could stay. You've provided a valid one, and maybe the rail workers also needed access to maintain the cutting area. No sheep in there, it could get very overgrown. The prototype pics show small trees and a lot of vegetation. So access for maintenance....yep, I think so.

A sign could be fitted, as you say..... 

Jeff

• Like 4