RMweb

Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

But that leaves the alternative nightmare position.

Hasta la Vista

Who ever it is that takes over, as far as economic policy is concerned, it is going to have to be.

Hasta que se liquide la Visa.

Edited by rocor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, that just tells us that folly is thriving in the Conservative Party, which we knew anyway.

You are being far too generous.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome.

Still, the Downing Street flat wouldn't need redcorating.

ISTR that the late Queen would put new Prime Ministers in their place by telling them that her first was Churchill.

Do you think that Charlie will use the same line with Truss?

Edited by ian
Spilling orror
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Have you heard any news of that bloke in the Blues
Was it Southerby, Sedgwick or Sim?
You know, they, they had him chucked out of the club in Bombay
For, apart from his mess bill exceeding his pay
He took to pig-sticking in quite the wrong way
I wonder what happened to him

Isn’t that rather a Cowardly comment?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, ian said:

ISTR that the late Queen would put new Prime Ministers in their place by telling them that her first was Churchill.

Do you think that Charlie will use the same line with Truss?

The late Queen took 70 years to get through 15 PM's, Charles is on to his second in just over a month. What a go getter.

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

The question that My daughter wants to know the answer to is this:

Is Liz Truss now ever likely to be re-elected as a MP?

I don't have an answer!

Andy G

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Meanwhile, in Westminster, the unthinkable is being thought ...

image.png.4b85be9b608c705fdbed6c3fe16bc032.png

Thank you for posting that - it is just the image I had in mind when describing the loading of hay into open wagons in the days before mechanical baling became common.

Mr Johnson is under investigation by the Privileges Committee; it is more than likely, given the evidence that is in the public domain, that he will be found to have been in contempt of Parliament, which would lead to his suspension from the House. Those who are currently expressing enthusiasm for his return as Prime Minister would do well, it seems to me, to take this into account.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Those who are currently expressing enthusiasm for his return as Prime Minister would do well, it seems to me, to take this into account.  

1 minute ago, alastairq said:

Fufufufufat chance!!

... or run the risk of even greater embarrassment and a shorter term in office than Mrs Truss'.

• Agree 3

Bozo is being proposed by The Rees-Mogg, which should be a terrible warning to anyone who thinks that it might be a good idea.  The only cheerful thought is that a candidate has to get the signatures of over a hundred Conservative MPs to get on the ballot paper, though I suspect that Rees-Mogg will see little difficulty in procuring the desired amount...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Thank you for posting that - it is just the image I had in mind when describing the loading of hay into open wagons in the days before mechanical baling became common.

Mr Johnson is under investigation by the Privileges Committee; it is more than likely, given the evidence that is in the public domain, that he will be found to have been in contempt of Parliament, which would lead to his suspension from the House. Those who are currently expressing enthusiasm for his return as Prime Minister would do well, it seems to me, to take this into account.  

As Brother Alastair has pointed out, the Thick-as-Feck Brexit-crazed Swivel-eyed Loons so enamoured of Boris won't care. They cared naught for his playing fast and loose with the law of the land, the truth and our constitutional conventions and protections. They, therefore, won't bat an eyelid at his return and return that is an inherent affront to our whole system of parliamentary democracy. Our version of the Trump Base, I'm afraid. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Our version of the Trump Base, I'm afraid. 

One has to continue to believe that reason and sanity will prevail. 

But perhaps that just marks me out as being as deluded, in my own way, as the Trump Base.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

When I started planning Tumm/Alnogg I thought of a variety of hijinks and scandals for its various prime ministers, I thought at least with them fact couldn't get stranger than fiction...I'm going to have to put some more effort in. Granted I do have the one who lasted 13 hours after the election win, one hell of an election party and walked in front of a street shunting loco next morning at 5am...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Player of trains said:

When I started planning Tumm/Alnogg I thought of a variety of hijinks and scandals for its various prime ministers, I thought at least with them fact couldn't get stranger than fiction...I'm going to have to put some more effort in. Granted I do have the one who lasted 13 hours after the election win, one hell of an election party and walked in front of a street shunting loco next morning at 5am...

The way the present crew are behaving, that last sentence sounds wholly plausible! I rather think there are ever more outrageous escapades to come.

What I am wondering is how long till the "Swivel-eyed Loons" are kitted out in Brown shirts and arm bands to go around harassing the opposition??? - Before or after Christmas?? - Discuss!

I hope I am wrong and that a good number of incumbent Conservative (Or are they??) MPs examine their consciences and take appropriate action to prevent the further degradation of the government of our now Third World nation. Big trouble is I am not at all confident that sense will prevail anytime soon.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

https://order-order.com/2022/10/21/whos-backing-who-the-spreadsheet-returns/

Currently it appears to be Sunak 82, Johnson 62, Mordaunt 24 with 47% of MPs having indicated their voting intention.

One thing I noticed is the number of blank green votes for Johnson representing MPs who are required to remain publicly neutral - whips, party board members, Tory vice chairs and 1922 chairmen.  An indication perhaps of the view amongst party members.

If the proportion of votes remains this way there is a real chance of Johnson being chosen by the party!

Apologies for sharing my depression. 😟

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

One has to continue to believe that reason and sanity will prevail. 

But perhaps that just marks me out as being as deluded, in my own way, as the Trump Base.

Reason and sanity were banished from our political discourse in 2016. I fear it will be a long time before it returns.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

When a generation has grown to adulthood having never heard of Nigel Farage, we might get there.

Trouble is, he’s bound to make it into the national curriculum at some point, maybe in an A-Level Modern History module centred around a textbook called something like “The bl@@dy ridiculously long shadows of empire, the United Kingdom 1945 to 2145”.

PS: do courses have set text books these days, or is it all done with google and photocopied extracts?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The bl@@dy ridiculously long shadows of empire

Is this really what's behind it? We're far from being the only country to act like idiots against our own interests, and not all the others are ex colony-exploiting Western European major powers. 

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

photocopied

Those who don't remember Farage won't remember photocopiers either!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Get a supply of strong drink and a comfy chair.

Picture this...

Both Sunak and Boris get the necessary 100 MPs backing them. The MPs vote for Sunak and the party vote for Boris. This time next week he's back in Number 10.

The standards committee find that he misled Parliament and he has to stand down before Christmas leading to another leadership contest.

Sunak gets the necessary number of backers and the 'anyone but Sunak' camp unite behind Mordaunt. The MPs vote for Sunak but the party choose Mordaunt,

Then it is Truss 2.0 before Easter...

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Is this really what's behind it?

Personally, I do think it is a significant factor in the British (possibly English) brand of bonkersness, although maybe it’s a broader thing about falling status in an eastward-tilting world, which might explain why the US is affected too.

There’s also something in the global air around people knowing that the game is up as regards incompatibility between consumerism and sustainability, and something else about societies not having worked out what to do with all the people when the robots can already do many of the jobs, and something about corporations having grown bigger and more powerful than nations.

It all leads to a scrabbling in the direction of a mythical better past, or a fantasy-based future, or best of all a heady brew of both in one bottle (Brexit), because such a high proportion of the population daren’t contemplate the realistic-future, because it looks way too challenging.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4