Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

4 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Disadvantages: Coastal erosion (rare in Leicestershire, for example);

Mixed blessings: No mountains.

Advantages: Fresh crab.

Suffolk folk would claim that the fresh crab caught off their coast, is more luxuriant than that in Norfolk waters. Particularly  those found near the small fishing village of Sizewell.

• Funny 3

A chap I know moved to Norfolk when he retired in order to spot birds (ornithological).

Another chap ditto, but simply because it was as far from London as he could persuade his wife to go.

Another chap ditto because he knew another retired chap already living there who shared his interest in restoring Morris Minors.

In summary: a major disadvantage is that one barely ever meets a person without grey or absent  hair in Norfolk,

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

A chap I know moved to Norfolk when he retired in order to spot birds (ornithological).

Another chap ditto, but simply because it was as far from London as he could persuade his wife to go.

Another chap ditto because he knew another retired chap already living there who shared his interest in restoring Morris Minors.

In summary: a major disadvantage is that one barely ever meets a person without grey or absent  hair in Norfolk,

Being someone that has hair, that is both grey and absent, I would post that particular attribute of Norfolk in the advantages column.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

For completeness, there are no inactive volcanoes in Norfolk, either. 

This, doubtless, accounts for the failure to attract re-locating Bond Villains.  

Ben Nevis, on the other hand, may have a buyer ....

URKDagg.jpg.ecf759d3ce2ad19362c44097c3eb55d6.jpg

Err Blofeld.... based on Blofield Family of Hoveton, in Norfolk?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Certainly In North Norfolk, the oldest average aged district in the UK , average age 58, (UK average 40)

42 minutes ago, rocor said:

Suffolk folk would claim that the fresh crab caught off their coast, is more luxuriant than that in Norfolk waters. Particularly  those found near the small fishing village of Sizewell.

glow a nice shade of green too..

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Certainly In North Norfolk, the oldest average aged district in the UK , average age 58, (UK average 40)

Which I think is why I'd find living there a bit of a shock, because although I'm "over Norfolk age", I'm used to living somewhere that has a below-UK-average-age demographic, and when I was working full time it was in central London, which is definitely quite a young place.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy W said:

When Rutland Water was created, it was in Leicestershire. 

Many of the residents may feel that remark was in poor taste... ;)

53 minutes ago, rocor said:

Sizewell crabs: you can eat them in the dark, because you can see them glowing...

Off at an angle:

Have you folks looked at the news from the US? They've got oodles of national guard inside the capitol, while they debate impeachment, and the Army Chief of Staff feeling it necessary to send out a letter reminding all the troops of their duty to remain apolitical and obey the law.

Isn't this the stuff that happens in failing states, just before various bits of the armed forces decide which of two rival claimants for the throne to throw their weight behind?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Andy W said:

Mixed blessings: No mountains.

Advantages: Fresh crab.

That reminds me, some say that Cromer Town Council should put a sign on the A140, at the entrance to the town.

Welcome to Cromer - Gateway to Doggerland.

https://www.abroadintheyard.com/if-doggerland-had-not-drowned/

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Which column do the poor road and rail links to the rest of England go in?

"Norfolk is a county cut off on three sides by the sea, and on the fourth side by the London North Eastern Railway"  believed from the 1930s

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ravenser said:

"Norfolk is a county cut off on three sides by the sea, and on the fourth side by the London North Eastern Railway"  believed from the 1930s

I thought that was Betjeman, with reference to British Railways and Beeching?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

That reminds me, some say that Cromer Town Council should put a sign on the A140, at the entrance to the town.

Welcome to Cromer - Gateway to Doggerland.

https://www.abroadintheyard.com/if-doggerland-had-not-drowned/

I am toying with the idea of a narrow gauge railway serving the sandy islands of Greater and Lesser Dogger, operated by the military to serve the various RN and RAF bases on these strategic islands....  Dogger Light Railway

• Like 4

Opinion seems to be divided over whether the perceived lack of good road and rail links to the rest of the country should go under 'Advantages' or 'Disadvantages'. It's true we don't have so much as an inch of motorway in the county, but the main line from Norwich is quite good – at least until you hit the outskirts of London.

As for the age profile here in North Norfolk... it means that those 60 year old whippersnappers are in great demand for, among other things, the Parish Council.