Whatley Quarry in 4mm OO Finescale 1988-92

lyneux

Id be interested in a full layout update too. 

Guy have you ever thought about filming the layout or uploading to youtube. I am sure plenty of people would find it very interesting on the why’s, how’s of everything to do with the layout and your rolling stock etc. It would be great for it to reach a new audience and see running sessions! Just my two pence! Look forward to seeing the next update 🙂

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been going back through my photos over the past couple of years and uploading the best ones to my Flickr account. I've restored some of the pictures on the previous page from 2021 and have added a few more. Most of the activity seems to be track laying on the extension. 

I'm not sure how much of this I have described but it uses Jim Smith Wright's method of a mixture of Exactoscale parts and 1.6mm copperclad with brass pins pushed through 0.7mm holes drilled into the copperclad. Some of the photos below show the point that spans the board gap between the old and new scenic boards. This was made on a piece of scrap timber and then fitted in place after removing a section of plain track from the old board. The crossing vees use a brass shim of the right thickness underneath the vee to support it that is then cut away to size using a slitting disc in a mini drill. Pandrol clips are the over-scale Peco individulay ones.

IMG_7957

IMG_7960

IMG_7962

IMG_7964

IMG_7973

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Both the layout and the PGA are looking absolutely fantastic. I've been using Blender for 3D printing too (again just what I'm used to), and it's definitely less intuitive for the work than Solidworks or similar. However as the PGA shows, you can still get fantastic results with a bit of care.

Edited by RobSkipworth
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Really interesting and great trackwork Guy! Thanks for the write up.

I like the look of your tie bars. Do you know if they're still available? I'm revisting all of mine as 3 of my flatbottom turnouts have failed this year.

Hi Will, I don’t think that Colin’s track components are available any more.

Thanks all for the comments! I’ve got a couple more things to show at some point as I get them finished.

Hoping to be at the Define show at Risley next weekend.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 3

I took these two pictures at Whatley on 2nd July 1988, in pouring rain. The railtour was called the Somerset Secret with 47 478. I seem to remember at the time it was advertised as the first public use of standard coaching stock into the quarry.  Something a bit different.

421.jpg.67b0533794d051963bbf26458f07408e.jpg

420.jpg.66c04f27799144b5049e1aefedc865e9.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Loving your track work - can I ask where you got the concrete sleepers and rail from please? Im embarking on my scenic section having built my fiddle yard. Im not put off by hand making straights and curves (my turnouts will be of the PECO kind) but im a complete novice on track work. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Norski said:

Loving your track work - can I ask where you got the concrete sleepers and rail from please? Im embarking on my scenic section having built my fiddle yard. Im not put off by hand making straights and curves (my turnouts will be of the PECO kind) but im a complete novice on track work. Thanks.

The plain track is Exactoscale fast track bases (4FT106A) obtained from the EMGS stores. More details at: https://exactoscale.com/

If you attend either ExpoEM or Scaleforum I suspect you will be able to pick it up (or join either society - even if you don't model EM or P4 but are just interested in finescale).

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1