Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Weathering Website

Definitely agree with the staged approach, it would be good to make no assumptions about what people can do. Obviously we all know which end of the brush is the messy end (although the odd burn seems to suggest that I'm less clued up about which end is which of a soldering iron) but basic techniques such as dry brushing, wash mixing, etc would be useful.

When I did your airbrush weathering course at Pendon I approached it with some trepidation, expecting to use a squillion different paints - Lifecolor this, MIG wash that etc, but was pleasantly surprised to see what could be done with no more than a tenner of Humbrol's finest. So, it would be good to see what can be done without the need for expensive gear for people starting out.

Format is an interesting area - some people like to read instructions, some like to watch You Tube videos so I guess there is a challenge of finding the right balance that gives as much guidance to as wide an audience as possible.

Sounds like an interesting venture and good luck with it if the germination progresses!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ITG said:

A staged approach so that absolute beginners could start with simple weathering on simple items.

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/21469-a-land-rover-series-1-109-according-to-oxford-diecast-introduction/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

When I did your airbrush weathering course at Pendon I approached it with some trepidation, expecting to use a squillion different paints - Lifecolor this, MIG wash that etc, but was pleasantly surprised to see what could be done with no more than a tenner of Humbrol's finest. So, it would be good to see what can be done without the need for expensive gear for people starting out.

Something like this?

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/lets-get-involved/weathering-pfa-gypsum-wagons-with-mick-bonwick-lets-get-involved

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Do you mean something like this?

I was thinking of a plain (railway) van or 5/7 plank wagon, or even a platelayers shed. As one who’s never weathered anything, I’d like to learn/experiment on something that is not too great a loss if it goes wrong.

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, polybear said:

How to correct screw-ups....

4 hours ago, young37215 said:

Likely to be a big section and I would be an interested reader/viewer. I could provide

the base material for several series!

Something I hadn't thought of as a separate topic, and a good idea. I can't pretend that I have no experience!

My advice here is to understand the materials you are working with and, before you make a start, ensure that you have everything to hand that will enable you to correct errors as soon as they occur.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Clarification.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ITG said:

I was thinking of a plain (railway) van or 5/7 plank wagon, or even a platelayers shed. As one who’s never weathered anything, I’d like to learn/experiment on something that is not too great a loss if it goes wrong.

I can see that the subject might not not be what you would like to do, but is the approach (materials, tools, techniques) what you would like to see?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I can see that the subject might not not be what you would like to do, but is the approach (materials, tools, techniques) what you would like to

Yes, great, thanks.

i think it would also be useful to see examples of items gone wrong, and to understand why they are ‘wrong’ and what actions caused it.

Edited by ITG
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes please Mick. Anything that would point us in the right direction, from basic to advanced, would be splendid. I recently looked to YouTube for a guide to weathering steel wagons but was sorely disappointed in some of the end products!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ITG said:

i think it would also be useful to see examples of items gone wrong, and to understand why they are ‘wrong’ and what actions caused it.

I've got plenty of those. Here's the latest one:

P1020689.JPG.b8ffb2715cb46b6f881f176f11ebc970.JPG

What is it that's wrong?

33 minutes ago, ColinK said:

From a personal viewpoint, how to weather coaches and how to make an item of rolling stock look like it has very recently been released from the works ie almost pristine.

Probably the most difficult to achieve, this one, although some seem to be able to do it without a problem. The key to success is to use the right colours (!) and not very much of them. A good idea.

20 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Yes please Mick. Anything that would point us in the right direction, from basic to advanced, would be splendid. I recently looked to YouTube for a guide to weathering steel wagons but was sorely disappointed in some of the end products!

I like the idea of steel (mineral?) wagons. The very first time I was at Missenden I tackled a rake of 20, just to test the principles that Tim Shackleton had spent two days teaching us. If I did it again I might change a few things, but the basics would still apply.

P1020702_Cropped.jpg.56f39d608f5af031b2bbbc1613b942b9.jpg

The missing three had TOPS markings, so were too late for my modelling period and have now found new homes.

• Like 1