RMweb

Lionheart O Gauge BR 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Engine

Adrian Stevenson

Can't wait for the release of this loco, we had four of them here in Scarborough, my late farther in law was a driver at Scarborough and would be driving them on a regular basis.

It's interesting that two of the four 82027 and 82029 are being produced by Lionheart.

Ian H

Scarborough  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, John Besley said:

Interestingly one of the very last workings on the SR out of Exmouth Jct was on a stopper to Axminster with an 82xxx

If you are the same John who started the new build project, thank you, in a couple of years you should see the full size kit finished and many of us cannot wait to take her out for a spin to see what she will be like. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

you should see the full size kit finished and many of us cannot wait to take her out for a spin to see what she will be like. 

I'm far more looking forward to seeing, hearing and travelling behind this than any east coast excesses or GW kits. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

If you are the same John who started the new build project, thank you, in a couple of years you should see the full size kit finished and many of us cannot wait to take her out for a spin to see what she will be like. 

55 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm far more looking forward to seeing, hearing and travelling behind this than any east coast excesses or GW kits. ;)

I am that man... I am looking forward to the day when I get to see her in steam at Bridgnorth and have a long overdue footplate ride.

There was an interesting wrote up in Steam Railways a while back by the Tornado group who applauded tge 82045 project as the only truly new build to fulfill a purpose - my goal will be when it's proved itself and then an batch is started...

By which time most 45xx's will be nudging 100 years old 82xxx are the new 45xx's

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

I am that man... I am looking forward to the day when I get to see her in steam at Bridgnorth and have a long overdue footplate ride.

There was an interesting wrote up in Steam Railways a while back by the Tornado group who applauded tge 82045 project as the only truly new build to fulfill a purpose - my goal will be when it's proved itself and then an batch is started...

By which time most 45xx's will be nudging 100 years old 82xxx are the new 45xx's

The time is coming quickly now. The firebox is really coming together and hopefully will be finished inside 12 months. I'm sure lots of us will be more than happy to take you out for a day on her. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

The time is coming quickly now. The firebox is really coming together and hopefully will be finished inside 12 months. I'm sure lots of us will be more than happy to take you out for a day on her. 

PM sent

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2022 at 14:25, sidmouth said:

Having seen these in the flesh , these do look stunning and possibly even better than the small prairie which I didn't think possible

Really nice to have a chat with Richard from Lionheart yesterday at Warley 

Agree wholeheartedly - they have really captured the essence of these engines, a superb job. 

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2022 at 20:30, silverlink said:

Can't wait for the release of this loco, we had four of them here in Scarborough, my late farther in law was a driver at Scarborough and would be driving them on a regular basis.

It's interesting that two of the four 82027 and 82029 are being produced by Lionheart.

Ian H

Scarborough  

I'm very keen as well. Darlington had 82028 and 82029 from new in 1954 to 1958. 82026 and 82027 started at Kirkby Stephen and these four were all at Scarborough for a time. I remember very clearly being in the upstairs front of a double decker in North Road, Darlington, on my way either to prep school or the grammar school when 82028 crossed the bridge, probably on its way to Stainmore. I was intrigued by the way its number was the same either way. I will have to buy the unnumbered one and put the numbers on myself. Not a problem as I've just changed a D20 4-4-0 from plain black BR to fully lined original NER livery! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

These look fantastic, think I'm going to have to dig out my research on which Std3s got to Wadebridge and Padstow. 

If memory serves me correctly, a Std3 in green was on one of the final services. I see a rabbit hole fast approaching...

Edit: Oh, hang on, I've been here before 12+ years ago.... https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/9674-north-cornwall-railway/?do=findComment&comment=196024

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just back from Kettering, and Dapol had the painted up (preproduction?) versions on the glass display stand. Detail looked good, the BR green looked a bit yellow to my eyes (but the room lighting was poor). 

Photos (unfortunately through glass) are below.

IMG_20230304_105921.jpg.3b590a9941e392cba5f2167f7763a0d5.jpg

IMG_20230304_105934_1.jpg.82770347699171acb08dea73a87ee274.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just back from Kettering, and Dapol had the painted up (preproduction?) versions on the glass display stand. Detail looked good, the BR green looked a bit yellow to my eyes (but the room lighting was poor). 

Photos (unfortunately through glass) are below.

IMG_20230304_105921.jpg.3b590a9941e392cba5f2167f7763a0d5.jpg

IMG_20230304_105934_1.jpg.82770347699171acb08dea73a87ee274.jpg

That's confidence; putting two of those on a glass shelf! They're stunners.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's confidence; putting two of those on a glass shelf! They're stunners.

I'm quietly hoping that a Ivatt tank is also on their cards at some point. Useful loco that travelled well beyond the old LMS. 

So that would be small tanks for BR, LMS and GWR. Not sure what I'd choose for the SR contingent as there wasn't really a Prairie type loco. Perhaps an O2 or M7 is the equivalent?

Nothing needed for the old LNER as everyone knows they only used Pacifics....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

So that would be small tanks for BR, LMS and GWR. Not sure what I'd choose for the SR contingent as there wasn't really a Prairie type loco. Perhaps an O2 or M7 is the equivalent?

Back in the day, I think Richard's comment was they would do a "10 wheel loco" for each region. So it's clearly an Adams Radial! 

• Funny 2

I see from Ade's picture that 82029 has the same "water capacity" plate at the front as 82030 on the Dapol website. This is correct on the back of the bunker but the front should have works plates reading "Built 1954 Swindon". These are all pre-production locos. I hope it is corrected on the production models. 

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2023 at 08:36, 2ManySpams said:

I'm quietly hoping that a Ivatt tank is also on their cards at some point. Useful loco that travelled well beyond the old LMS. 

Nothing needed for the old LNER as everyone knows they only used Pacifics....

Ivatt tank... where some built at Brighton or Eastleigh?

Edited by John Besley

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Floreat Industria said:

I see from Ade's picture that 82029 has the same "water capacity" plate at the front as 82030 on the Dapol website. This is correct on the back of the bunker but the front should have works plates reading "Built 1954 Swindon"

@coeurdelyon flagging in case this hasn't been picked up. 

• RMweb Premium

@coeurdelyon other than livery differences, are there any detail differences between the various models that are being produced? I've not read anything covering this.

I'm thinking:

- fluted Vs flat coupling rods

- additional boiler mounted hand hold for WR locos

- AWS

- SR lamp / headcode brackets

- yellow triangle for TIA water treatment 

- LNER Vs LMS style return cranks

Thanks for any pointers.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

The two models in the cabinet at Kettering were for decoration and detail corrections, please note the water capacity error has already been advised to the factory.

We shall be offering detail differences, such as fluted and fish-belly coupling rods for the later build, boiler top handrail on Western locomotives and SR lamp brackets.

Production is scheduled for June so all being well they should be available around October 2023

Cheers, Richard

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A question for Richard - I want to portray either 82019 or 82029 in late BR condition, so with the late BR emblem (I dare say most other observers would remember the last two active members of this Class in this condition). There are good photographic references on line. Are the unnumbered models likely to be correct for SR with brackets, etc.? If not, I may need to change my order for one of the early numbered BR versions and replace the emblem (I presume that a using cocktail stick won't damage the paintwork). I agree that 82029 had larger numbers (10 inch rather than 9, I believe) and there appear to have been chimney variations judging from photographs. The decorated models look fantastic!