Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's not even a dog's breakfast.

Blergh.

I am sure our small elderly terrier would happily have that for breakfast alongside the dog food of course

• Funny 1

My Earl Cawdor has a Triang B12 body shell suitably shortened and sits on a modified Ks Duke footplate.. Triang Polly provided a chassis. Just been catching up as I’ve not been on here lately, I did chuckle about the “modern image” well the real Aston hasn’t changed much since the 1930s . For my Birthdays back in 1982 we went for a trip on the Central Wales and had a class 120 for the way down to Swansea, however the return journey provided a little surprise in the form of 140 001 on trials!!! Glad to get back to Craven Arms!!! So your pacers relatives have worked through Broome. I don’t think any production ones worked around Mid Wales though. Watching the 517 too, I’m doing a McGowan 517 into BCR no 1.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Cab boxed in as much as possible, which involves taking the body on and off many times. I'm hoping to find room to fit a crew as well as the rear sandboxes that make the cab doorways a bit of a squeeze.

I've also begun repairing the front splashers where the Pannier style toolboxes were removed.

IMG_20221209_020859.jpg.3457f3138b9e08e6d954361dee8a29bf.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, russell price said:

My Earl Cawdor has a Triang B12 body shell suitably shortened and sits on a modified Ks Duke footplate.. Triang Polly provided a chassis. Just been catching up as I’ve not been on here lately, I did chuckle about the “modern image” well the real Aston hasn’t changed much since the 1930s . For my Birthdays back in 1982 we went for a trip on the Central Wales and had a class 120 for the way down to Swansea, however the return journey provided a little surprise in the form of 140 001 on trials!!! Glad to get back to Craven Arms!!! So your pacers relatives have worked through Broome. I don’t think any production ones worked around Mid Wales though. Watching the 517 too, I’m doing a McGowan 517 into BCR no 1.

Good to have you back, I had similar thoughts for a boiler and cab and perhaps a Tri-ang Dean Single tender cut down and suitably upgraded, but the chassis had me stumped.

I've missed a few whitemetal 517s on eBay over the last couple of years, so I thought why not modify a 14XX?

Okay, purists can come out from under the stairs now!

I had meant to ask you about what the colour scheme was for the Clun Valley Motor Services buses was in the thirties?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

This should be your next Aston loco , my current project is rebuilding this Ks 44XX as Craven Arms Sheds 4406 , mainly used on the longville line, ideal Clun Valley engine. 
I believe the Clun Valley buses back then were all over green, I have a photo of AAW14 outside Craven Arms Station  which I will find. 

• Thanks 1

I’m sure you will do a lovely job of 530, don’t forget you need to alter the base of the smoke box too as the 1400 had a drumhead type. There is a lot to do to BCR No1 but it is mainly tidying up now, it was one of my first schoolboy attempts at white metal soldering so lots to tidy up, No 1 also had a round topped firebox too

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Oh the suspense - will the Dean cab fit  - or is the 517 project heading for the Room of Doom ?

Never fear, if it doesn't fit, I'll damned well make one that does! No surrender.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Never fear, if it doesn't fit, I'll damned well make one that does! No surrender.

Onwards rode the five hundred - five hundred and seventeen doesn't quite have the right effect, onwards they rode into the Valley of Death.

Guns to the left of them, guns to right onward they rode.

You'll have to imagine the rest of it as i can't remember but you get the drift.

16 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Onwards rode the five hundred - five hundred and seventeen doesn't quite have the right effect, onwards they rode into the Valley of Death.

Guns to the left of them, guns to right onward they rode.

You'll have to imagine the rest of it as i can't remember but you get the drift.

Something about finding a defensive position and calling in an air strike I hope.

• Funny 2

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's beginning to look rather spiffing, Senor Lupo 🙂

Thanks, but we're not out of the woods yet, there's still plenty of chances to make ein Eselsarsch of it I'm sure!

1 hour ago, longchap said:

Very tidy fabrication. The result of tranferable skill or a lifetime of model making?

Probably more likely transferable skills from engineering and art. I've not really done much modelmaking for over twenty years until I got a bit of encouragement from my uvver arf to start making things again. The same goes for the painting, I have to try not to regret giving that up since I was 19 or so.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Well, that’s a relief  -  530 will run again and look splendid! 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I may actually get this one finished! 

I'm defying the brake van temporarily, but as I've always wanted one, I'm determined to finish it and finish it as well as I can.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Probably more likely transferable skills from engineering and art.

Two very strong providers for sucessful and confident model making, which posses the question as to model making being a science or art.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Up at stupid o'clock and preparing to go out for the day, I was catching up with the threads and read the very interesting conversation between @Neal Ball and @craneman on the Henley-on-Thames thread which reminded me (fortunately or unfortunately, it's too early in the morning to tell.) that lurking on the Bench of Bodge is the still unfinished GWR crane and match truck and in the Box of Dread is another somewhat modified bit of crane and a part dismantled 2721 Pannier that will at some point become an 0-6-4 Steropes crane tank, inspired by the impressive creations of @Bluemonkey presents...., which were something that gave me the shove to get on with Number 23, on account of wanting to build that since I was about ten years old.

The latter two can hang fire until the new year because I suspect that all this rolling stock distraction is simply avoidance behaviour connected with the layout needing miles of that hideous wire fencing before much longer.

Not to mention bloody bean sticks.

More pressing right now is some shambling, muttering wraith fiddling with the CD player. I'd better take pity on her, go into the kitchen with my best hunting spear and catch her breakfast and tea.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5