Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I also remember something known as diesel. Tried once, best left to other ranks, I'll stick with whisky or tequila, don't give me vodka unless you fancy a night in the cells though!

Quite.

Whisky all night, vodka on occasion (only the decent stuff, I don't really do mixers) but I've never liked rum and tequila has the same effect on me that vodka has on you...

1 minute ago, Gypsy said:

Quite.

Whisky all night, vodka on occasion (only the decent stuff, I don't really do mixers) but I've never liked rum and tequila has the same effect on me that vodka has on you...

Well this is going to be a boring night then. Coco anyone?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's made from chilled horse pee and gives the greatest amount of adhesion to lino floors and night club carpets.

Apart from Fosters of course, which is made from chilled kangaroo pee...

One pub near uni actually had that written across the label of the Fosters pump... Mind you the same pub also sold scrumpy from a unmarked barrel behind the bar...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Apart from Fosters of course, which is made from chilled kangaroo pee...

One pub near uni actually had that written across the label of the Fosters pump... Mind you the same pub also sold scrumpy from a unmarked barrel behind the bar...

There was a real ale pub up on the moors near Buxton at a place called Wardlow Mire (Once the site of a Cornish beam engine) and that had a sign reading "Please do not ask for lager as there is a shotgun behind the bar."

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Talking of tequila, another popular drink which came under the category of "Elastic Dissolvers" was Thunderbird fortified wine. The red label stuff worked best.

Take two bottles of that and forty Lucky Strikes to a uni party and you'd basically pulled...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"I'm blowed if I'm cleaning that mess up. 

I heard they've a new beer and a new barmaid down at The Kangaroo....."

" Well you better forget the barmaid for now and go fetch your red flag!"

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, chipbury said:

I prefer Butcombe Rare Breed (on draught in the Bell on Walcot Street).

Jeez - still going then? Not one of my regular haunts in Barf but the Star just up the hill on the Paragon used to do a great pint from kegs tapped behind the bar...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longchap said:

" Well you better forget the barmaid for now and go fetch your red flag!"

Platelayer Syd has his red flag neatly furled behind the green one because he was hoping not to have to use it. 

It's going to be a long night. At least there'll be overtime and the hut with the kettle in it is only on the other side of the bridge.

Might still be time to get a pint in before the crane arrives from Shrewsbury...

IMG_20230215_201822.jpg.070d5059fe4e1bad7d32021631b8fe71.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Nothing to see here, move along please...
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, chipbury said:

I prefer Butcombe Rare Breed (on draught in the Bell on Walcot Street).

That sounds like the kind of beer that creates the mythical beer taxi.

Where you get home safe warm and dry in double quick time and can't remember the journey at all.

• Like 2

The chap who was my best man when I got married (and who was clearly too hammered to talk any sense into me.) used to drink pints of barley wine with double Malibu's dumped in for good measure. I've seen him down seven or more.

He hasn't touched a drop of anything for nearly twenty years now though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Back to building the layout, I finally figured out how I wanted to finish the front gable on the garage and made up this period garage sign complete with a petrol globe to light it up. MEX was a brand of commercial vehicle fuel in the days before diesel lorries.

IMG_20230216_082053.jpg.f759bb6d1af5345aed640109c5685c79.jpg

IMG_20230216_082108.jpg.4ec69789771aa073f875549b9ec80ed2.jpg

Lots of little things to do yet, not to mention repainting the yard where I altered the position of the garage!

As in Shell-Mex?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Back to building the layout, I finally figured out how I wanted to finish the front gable on the garage and made up this period garage sign complete with a petrol globe to light it up. MEX was a brand of commercial vehicle fuel in the days before diesel lorries.

IMG_20230216_082053.jpg.f759bb6d1af5345aed640109c5685c79.jpg

IMG_20230216_082108.jpg.4ec69789771aa073f875549b9ec80ed2.jpg

Lots of little things to do yet, not to mention repainting the yard where I altered the position of the garage!

That really is looking quite top drawer Herr Wolf!

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

St Valentine's Day derailment, February 14, 1938.

"I'm blowed if I'm cleaning that mess up. 

I heard they've a new beer and a new barmaid down at The Kangaroo....."

IMG_20230215_193726.jpg.76e147471682a321b52901ba1381e40e.jpg

Still impressed by the stream you've created here Rob.  And is that a boundary marker that I spy this side of the bridge?

• Thanks 1