Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Pretty much the same in civilian life - the one thing you should never do when specifiying any piece of equipment is actually talk to either the end user, or to the engineers who will actually have to develop the thing...

Or those that have to maintain and repair the kit, especially where the navy are concerned, things did improve a bit with the shift from steam to gas turbines. I don't know enough to say anything about gas turbine and diesel electric era, ships.

• Like 1

So, to summarise the above, just put contributors to @MrWolf s topic in charge of procurement for the armed forces and other public and private services and all our countries troubles will be solved.

Anyone any good at writing manifestos for the Forgotten Outpost Party 🤔 ?I

(Although FOP is probably not a good acronym). 

• RMweb Gold

Well for starters I'd be spending at least 6% of GDP on defence. However give the current state of affairs that's gonna be in the negative figures in the not too distant future. Given that a retired general recently said that we would need 9 month notice to even think about responding to the need for a military deployment I would suggest that we are so far up s**t creek that a paddle would be superfluous.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 4

It's patently obvious that our defence system needs a major overhaul, along with the rest of the country's infrastructure.

I can think of numerous ways to raise more than enough money without unduly taxing those who live by the sweat of their brow, or penalising those who cannot work.

But we are not having that debate on here.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Yes well sadly this isn't the case. Most military kit be that a tank or indeed a weapon is designed by idiots who have never been anywhere near a tank or a gun to a brief drawn up by bean counters none of whom have been anywhere near a gun or a tank and is made by people who came up with the lowest bid to produce the said bit of kit. At no time during this process is anyone who will have to operate or use the said bit of kit consulted in any way at all.

Regards Lez.  

Didn't we steal get the design for the Bren from the Czechs?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeh the Czechs really know how to build weapons and weapon platforms that's for sure.

The 38T tank was particularly good and the chassis went on to form the basis of the Hetzer tank destroyer that was probably the best German AFV of WWII. Big is not always better as the Hetzer proved.  

Regards Lez.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

For example the "Soup plate" helmets that British and Allied forces wore for donkey's years.

When you duck incoming fire or whatever, putting your head down exposed the back of your neck, the same problem was found in close combat.

A lesser known fact about the tin hats introduced in WW1 - they actually caused an increase in casualties to the field hospitals. Whilst initially sounding counter intuitive, it was because the mortalitly rate of shelling was decreased, so those that may have previously died, now survived but with injuries requiring medical attention.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is a coincidence perhaps that invasive plants have really become a problem since the railways decided to neglect their land in order to "encourage wildlife", which in the case of brambles, rosebay willowherb and Japanese knotweed is utter shullbit?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

About 25 years ago we were looking to move and found a suitable place  and put in an offer. However we were rooting around the area and discovered the frontage of an adjoining property absolutely full of Knotweed so we withdrew the offer. The agents thought we were mad nowadays its one of the questions on the solicitors forms. You are so dependant on the neighbours doing there bit. Of course if the neighbour is the abandoned Point Quarry on the Coleford branch that may be less easy I think the forestry commission had to take action in the end.

Don

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

What a terrible kit 🤪

Yep, I'm going to have to find some of those wobbly two piece wheel sets that came with Airfix mineral wagons...

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yep, I'm going to have to find some of those wobbly two piece wheel sets that came with Airfix mineral wagons...

if anyone buys one should I make sure there is lots of flash to remove and put a sprue in an inconvenient place?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

if anyone buys one should I make sure there is lots of flash to remove and put a sprue in an inconvenient place?

Yes, a big lumpy sprue, preferably in the middle of a tie bar, W irons or brake lever, just enough so that you can't quite support it whilst cutting with a knife and so it deflects a razor saw or sprue cutters.

Can you please add a bit of misalignment of the mould too?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I'm desperately trying to justify one of those vans but I just can't and believe me I'm trying really really hard. Unless they were still in use when Tewksbury or the Nailsworth branch transferred to the Weston region.. but then I'd have to build a few paniers... Oh well never mind.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Prototype No.1 on the left with NEM dovetails

Prototype No.2 on the right with slot to suit Romford three link coupling

IMG_9132.jpeg.f19e20eac0502008ad5568bc468129cd.jpeg

Before retiring, a lot of the system components I handled fell into one of two categories - those engineered by designers, and those designed by engineers - each had their strengths, but the real gems were those produced by someone skilled in both .  @chuffinghell clearly falls into that last category.  Love the incorporation of mounts for (DC ?)brake gear

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2