Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No I'm not changing the thread title to "Aston On Clun, a forgotten Great Western outpost and other far flung corners of the old empire".....

Thanks for putting-up these pictures and please thank your friend for sharing them - a great primary source archive of these locos and their natural habitat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

Redruth has an atmosphere all of its own  😊

Of all the many available options this seems the safest, and most useful, to share here!

PS. Rule 8: The only people who take their first bite from the middle of a pasty are serial killers. Fact.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

A certain famous brand available at pretty much any petrol station managed to put me off pasties for life. Also sausage rolls. Bleh.

Only ever had one of those, the inside didn't seem cooked, veg was as hard as iron. The cafe/post office at Hornby we frequent on a regular basis does a nice Lancashire version.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A certain famous brand available at pretty much any petrol station managed to put me off pasties for life. Also sausage rolls. Bleh.

Those aren’t pasties. Not liking them just means you are normal. You could still enjoy a proper pasty.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Absolutely nothing done at anything this week as I've been grounded by norovirus.

I must have copped for it on Sunday as I felt a bit odd Monday and by Tuesday I was pancaked.

The Memsahib has been wanting to fuss over me but I've made her do it from a distance as her immune system is frankly rubbish and what would make me curse and grumble is likely to put her in hospital.

I'm just beginning to feel a little better, the fever has subsided and I am certain that I haven't passed it on. I've slept (or rather not slept) on the sofa bed in the Room of Doom, being tormented by the Bench Of Bodge, 

At least that way the Memsahib can get some decent Z's and go off to work not carrying a bioweapon. 

That doesn't sound good - hope you are better soon.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

...and go off to work not carrying a bioweapon. 

Yes, probably for the best she leaves hobbies at home at least until she's got a year or two's seniority.

Hope you get through last of it quickly, feeling rubbish is rubbish!

• Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Loperamide is the answer.

It is if you're not vomiting and holding a temperature too. The only thing that I can do is let it run it's course and flush the infection out of my system.

4 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Yes, probably for the best she leaves hobbies at home at least until she's got a year or two's seniority.

Yes, it was tragic what happened to the rest of her class at university...

4 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Hope you get through last of it quickly, feeling rubbish is rubbish!

Thanks, I get frustrated with all the things I can't do when I'm hobbled. I suspect that is because I've never been one for catching colds and other silly things and survived far worse.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Loperamide is the answer.

Sadly not. Now I have my professional head on here (Pharmacy Technician).

The best advice is to drink lots of fluids and electrolytes and flush it out of your system.

Loperamide will stop you running to the loo every 5 mins but you need it out of your system as fast as possible not suppressed and Loperamide will suppress it and it will last longer. Buscopan will help with both the cramping and wind and Dioralyte will replace electrolytes.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Sadly not. Now I have my professional head on here (Pharmacy Technician).

The best advice is to drink lots of fluids and electrolytes and flush it out of your system.

Loperamide will stop you running to the loo every 5 mins but you need it out of your system as fast as possible not suppressed and Loperamide will suppress it and it will last longer. Buscopan will help with both the cramping and wind and Dioralyte will replace electrolytes.

Regards Lez.

You could probably do away with the Buscopan, put up with the cramping and play Rangoon Roulette......

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been a bit crook myself with a dental infection and the antibiotics have given me the same problem all week. So I've been living on Loperamide myself, I know I shouldn't really but hey it's better than running upstairs all day long. Different cause same problem. 

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob and I'm sorry to hear of your malady and glad to see you're doing the right thing and keeping to yourself while nature takes its course and Miss R is able to hold the fort and keep going with the necessities of life.

Fortunately, you're in a splendid place to take an interest in something worthwhile when the time comes, hopefully soon.

Best.

• Thanks 1

I've been going old school basic survival and have been taking medicinal charcoal tablets to knock everything out of my system and O.R.S. rehydration tablets and it's working, 

I had a chat with the pharmacist and he said I should keep it simple and just wait it out.

I think that you'll all be relieved to know that Miss R doesn't work in a hospital as she's not exactly a people person.

She's working on ways to stop invasive plants such as Japanese knotweed and reintroduce our own wildflower species.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/05/2023 at 10:28, Rowsley17D said:

Only ever had one of those, the inside didn't seem cooked, veg was as hard as iron. The cafe/post office at Hornby we frequent on a regular basis does a nice Lancashire version.

I know that place well, I might just have to make that my first stop off when I dare ride my motorbike again! 

I had similar thoughts about those other pasties, I'm sure that the potato isn't supposed to be raw and although I know that they're supposed to be well seasoned but not to disguise the fact that there doesn't appear to be much else in there.

I once had the Lancashire version of a Scots pie, (can't remember what it's called) in the back of beyond somewhere near Nelson. I had to go back for another....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1