Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 minute ago, John Besley said:

How many of those are going to be donors for kit bashes

Most will get the detail treatment. I have a damaged 2721 that will become an 0-6-4 crane tank, probably Steropes and another which is going to become 4-4-0ST No13.

Why? 

I'll think of something!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It would seem (Thanks to The Sheep Chronicles) that I have seven operational panniers and another three in bits.

So I probably need another one.

Only one ?

As I'm sure Mr. NotEnoughPanniers will confirm, you can't have too many.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, figworthy said:

Only one ?

As I'm sure Mr. NotEnoughPanniers will confirm, you can't have too many.

Adrian

I work to the Wolf-Spiers theorem of vintage motorcycles when it comes to Panniers.

N = X + 1

Where: 

N is the ideal number of to have.

X is the number you already have.

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

They are like Kirtley, Johnson and Deeley 0-6-0s you can never have too many.

Regards Lez.

Agreed, I do like Midland 0-6-0 tender locos and Aston branching off the GW/LNW joint line at Craven Arms is my excuse for the appearance of an LMS 4F on freight.

I'm also a fan such machines from the other pre grouping companies.

Then of course there's the 2-4-0 tender locos.....

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2024 at 22:47, MrWolf said:

I work to the Wolf-Spiers theorem of vintage motorcycles when it comes to Panniers.

N = X + 1

Where: 

N is the ideal number of to have.

Then of course there's the 2-4-0 tender locos.....

Did someone mention an E4? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

That loco has a boiler very similar to the Jenny Lind 2-2-2 type that were later rebuilt as 0-6-0 well tanks.

I love those mid 1800s locos.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is a Sharp Stewart, and yes they had most of their locos built by them up until the late 19th Century.  These were running until 1922, when the GWR took over.  They were horrified and they soon met their end.

3D prints from @Knuckles, either his Shapeways shop, or contact him directly.  (Usual disclaimers.)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

3D prints from @Knuckles, either his Shapeways shop, or contact him directly.  (Usual disclaimers.)

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/

...but anyone interested I'd suggest getting in touch to make sure there's a suitable chassis and that it's been at least test-built with the recommended motor, gears and wheels. Not me personally, but heard first hand from a couple who had to work quite hard (and spend a lot more time and money than lead to believe) to turn these into decent models. 

This is, hopefully, no longer the case cos they're gorgeous locos :)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/

...but anyone interested I'd suggest getting in touch to make sure there's a suitable chassis and that it's been at least test-built with the recommended motor, gears and wheels. Not me personally, but heard first hand from a couple who had to work quite hard (and spend a lot more time and money than lead to believe) to turn these into decent models. 

This is, hopefully, no longer the case cos they're gorgeous locos :)

@Edwardian and I were going to try and do a combined build, well he op 'norf, and me darn sarf, and do it at the same time but COVID got in the way.  My preference would be to use a powered tender chassis with something like aa tenshodo spud, or similar, if they still exist.  There are no RTR chassis to fit as far as I know..

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Schooner said:

3d printed chassis perhaps? Again, I've no personal experience but they do seem to be becoming more common.

There is a printed 3D chassis that you can buy with the superstructure, and I probably have one.  It is on my list of things to do, after the buildings, the coaches, and perhaps before the wagons.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/04/2024 at 20:11, JustinDean said:

Nowt going on at Aston on Clun? Been a while since we’ve seen any layout action Rob. 

Jay

I saw a post from Rob @MrWolf on another topic over the weekend. Sounds like he is up to his armpits in multiple 50 year old motorbike components. . . . .

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1