Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

tubs01

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Maybe slightly over budget.. but oh well!

The top of the slippery slope, Tubs; won’t be long before you join the rest of us in the poverty stricken heap at the bottom...

• Funny 2

21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The top of the slippery slope, Tubs; won’t be long before you join the rest of us in the poverty stricken heap at the bottom...

well, something I guess you've just got to get used to while modelling modern image I assume

One thing I've noticed after studying many photos and videos is that whenever a 67 is pulling freight, it's always a short rake, which of course makes sense and it suits me very much. On the subject at freight I've been thinking of older style wagons that I could pass off as 'modern' I think most plank wagons are out of the question (emphasis on most) but in one photo of a 67, you could only see the first wagon of the train and it just looked like a bogie bolster wagon. I have seen other EWS flat wagons but they look a fair bit more modern. Of course a very cheap way to get 'modern' wagons is the Hornby TTAs, just paint them black and there you go. 

On 01/04/2021 at 16:42, tubs01 said:

One thing I've noticed after studying many photos and videos is that whenever a 67 is pulling freight, it's always a short rake, which of course makes sense and it suits me very much. On the subject at freight I've been thinking of older style wagons that I could pass off as 'modern' I think most plank wagons are out of the question (emphasis on most) but in one photo of a 67, you could only see the first wagon of the train and it just looked like a bogie bolster wagon. I have seen other EWS flat wagons but they look a fair bit more modern. Of course a very cheap way to get 'modern' wagons is the Hornby TTAs, just paint them black and there you go. 

Bogie bolsters are still used on engineering trains. Triang ones are dirt cheap at 2-4 pounds each. .A few lengths of steel track weathered and you could have a half a dozen long train for not much outlay. 

• Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

No points on the 'layout' at the moment, and no matter where it is it short circuits. 

Strangely enough if I flip the loco round it runs fine. Similar to what happened with my smaller steam locos, ran rubbish in one direction, yet is fine the other

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, tubs01 said:

I've seen a cheap Hornby ex-mainline 56 on eBay, and I quite like the look of the 69... I'll need a 66 for the roof but I think it would be nice to make the first class 69 in OO!

I look forward to seeing it! Perhaps a model company i.e Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol etc might take on the 69 in the future...

Try taking the body off (probably the hardest part) and see if there are any wires which could be touching and causing the short (as it's a Lima loco you should be able to see every wire and trace the current from one side of the loco to the other).

8 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I look forward to seeing it! Perhaps a model company i.e Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol etc might take on the 69 in the future...

I hope so too, and it probably won't be accurate by any means but it'll still be a nice novelty

• Agree 1

On 06/04/2021 at 08:09, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Strange indeed. I think I have an idea what the problem is but I'm not too sure.

Firstly, before this problem happened, how well did it run?

Even stranger is that its sorted itself out! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Some attempts at weathering with just paint I did on new year's day. Had no brown paint so I mixed various coloured pencil ground up with water

Wagon 1:20210407_155609.jpg.c1bea95d023eafee42283804285775f9.jpg20210407_155618.jpg.4e39790a3d4d2a0800d4314de24412dc.jpg

Wagon 2:20210407_155627.jpg.92a9ae00d9eb5237a20c3918a75d0e57.jpg20210407_155633.jpg.608d4284647260b956fb0afcb191a7bc.jpg

The replacement grey door is a nice touch. Don’t forget the white wall tyred immaculate looking wheels though! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

The replacement grey door is a nice touch. Don’t forget the white wall tyred immaculate looking wheels though! 

Wheel rims are painted white so that if the tyre slips or moves on the rim a definitive line is seen and the wagon/coach can be removed from the formation.

• Informative/Useful 1