Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

tubs01

On 22/08/2021 at 20:52, 33C said:

Modern, yes, big changes are on the way. Railtrack/Network rail depending on which headed notepaper they send you.....:D

Great British Railways actually. Keep

up guys lol!!

ps tubs - invest in a couple of packs of new peco or Hornby rail joiners. Bin the ones on your current track and replace the lot of them. Much cheaper than buying new track and it will solve the poor connectivity instantly. Don’t be tempted to faff with the existing joiners even if they look okay just replace the lot mercilessly. This will improve the performance of even the most tired track. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2021 at 18:25, BernardTPM said:

That is just such a stupid name it's got to have been thought up my some dumb marketing company and agreed by equally dumb politicians.

Even Great Britain Railways would make more sense. Also GBR is awfully close to GBRf...

Can't wait to get on a train jn a few years time and see 'Britain Train' plastered on the side next to a full body height union jack stretched across the entire length of the train

• Funny 3

Guess the next purchase will be some new fishplates then! Would like to stock up on paint but I'll have to save up for that. I've seen a railroad 08 body on eBay for cheap so hopefully if I can snatch it I'll repaint it. One thing I do want to atleast start this year is giving all my fleet separate handrails and hooks, and all the other little details that make a loco shine that little bit more. Definitely not a case of not knowing how to do it, just a case of not having the stuff yet!  Once I get my hand on some little hand drills I'll try and experiment with wire couplings for my locos, it would be nice to finally have invisible couplings on the locos, wagons I don't mind as much

• Agree 1

On 24/08/2021 at 18:25, BernardTPM said:

That is just such a stupid name it's got to have been thought up my some dumb marketing company and agreed by equally dumb politicians.

Even Great Britain Railways would make more sense. Also GBR is awfully close to GBRf...

When my home town of Chelmsford was made a city some years ago there was a flurry of things done to commemorate this. The most notable to me, sadly, was the phrase 'Chelmsford City' plastered across buses and I think that name was given to one of the class 90s that hauled our expresses at the time. Of course Chelmsford City is a football club and no other use of the phrase makes any sense at all. I think the 90 was subsequently re-named 'City of Chelmsford' but you still see free publicity for our non-league football club on a lot of the buses ! 

Who thinks these names up? I'm sure they are paid more than I am...

Hornby ex-Dapol 56 and some paint, varnish (and lots of brushes!) ordered off ebay with the money I got from the carboot. Did see a Hornby 121, network southeast, but as much as I'd love it, I did really need to stock up on modelling supplies, I had practically nothing

• Like 1

I still haven't got a Smokey Joe! Oh dear. I'm going to a model show next week, hopefully it's decent but either way I'll have a rummage through the second-hand stuff, I don't panic nearly as much about budget nowadays, for whatever reason things seem to be cheaper than ever, not that I'm complaining! Only really expensive things are locos and coaches, but at least with locos you only need a few. Whatever happens my 56 is still going to be pulling a fair few charters and DMU replacements on the layout :). Bachmann DMUs are going for relatively cheap on eBay, I could easily get myself a 158 or something of the like running around the layout for less than a hundred quid, that's passenger services sorted. Freight won't be too hard, Hornby TTAs repainted black to represent bitumen tanks, those weird box wagons on the triang grain hopper chassis, container flats, Hornby HEAs ect ect  

• 3 weeks later...

I've amassed quite a few wagons, but I'm still on the lookout for HAAs and a EWS shed. I would like to get a GBRf shed in the current livery, as it seems Hornby has got the colours right finally on the last few GB 66s, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance, just in case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think if I can get myself some cheap Hornby PGAs I'll have a look at doing some conversions into RMC PCA wagons :). I know progress is slow but progress is being made. Thinking of doing a Wrexham and Shropshire set for passenger services, had a look at some DMUs too. Finally have a set in stone era for the layout now which helps

Just painted some old wagons tonight, not in my era but I might give them to a friend, his kind of thing, they still need numbers and a few other adjustments, the open wagon will get a load, and maybe a new chassis as I might have some spare soon, the ones used on the railroad 21t mineral, the same as the chassis currently on it just without the footboardsPicsArt_10-21-05_51_06.jpg.8faa72d82514616e934e12ea53b29548.jpgPicsArt_10-21-05_51_28.jpg.963228c78e68ead984e38488b47e812d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Just painted some old wagons tonight, not in my era but I might give them to a friend, his kind of thing, they still need numbers and a few other adjustments, the open wagon will get a load, and maybe a new chassis as I might have some spare soon, the ones used on the railroad 21t mineral, the same as the chassis currently on it just without the footboardsPicsArt_10-21-05_51_06.jpg.8faa72d82514616e934e12ea53b29548.jpgPicsArt_10-21-05_51_28.jpg.963228c78e68ead984e38488b47e812d.jpg

Interesting. That is the chassis from the brake van, which shares the same wheelbase I think. Did it come like that new?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Interesting. That is the chassis from the brake van, which shares the same wheelbase I think. Did it come like that new?

Yes, the railroad open wagons have used the brake van chassis since their first release in I think some time in the 90s, not sure why, when a more appropriate chassis is right there, but it's what they use. I'm pretty sure these open wagons come from the Thomas the tank range, hence the weird hole on the front end where the door is, so the faces of the troublesome trucks could be put in

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Right, Wrexham and shropshire train pack as a Christmas present went ---s up, so now it's a 3 pack of Hornby EWS CDAs (the main range ones too!) and a 3 pack of Bachmann PNAs, I'm pretty sure the PNAs went out of use just before my sphere of operation, also have incorrect springs as the model uses the also incorrect TTA chassis, both TTAs and PNAs (the ones with the TTA chassis) should have bruninghaus springs, not leaf springs, but doesn't bother me that much. Not sure if CDAs ever found use on enterprise services, but Rule 1 applies, probably.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20211207_201258_hdr.jpg.39eb024a8cf24b8fb5bfd8b14fac198b.jpgWagon on the workbench tonight. :) Needs tops code (but what to use?), Warning flashes and a little Railfreight distribution logo. I've got another I'm planning to do in full Railfreight distribution livery, black boxes were done by hand no masking so I apologize for the lines being wobbly. I might have a look at what I can put on the end 'verandas' if you will, to make them look less bare. 

IMG_20211207_182013_hdr.jpg.0e559f0902cf58a0f475356f704c4e14.jpgZKV, the chassis isn't very accurate but neither is the body, and it's better than the wooden framed chassis it had before. Chassis needs weathering. Will look at home rotting away in a siding with some other derelict stock

• Like 2