Signal Box Photos

• RMweb Gold

Woodborough on the Berks & Hants extension, 1971:

image.png.5336c1a5e11bb1795574ab37d613a25f.png

Photo by Tim Roberts, originally posted to the 'Reading to Westbury and Taunton via the Berks and Hants' Facebook group and copied with kind permission.

Tim says:

Woodborough signalbox with signalman Maurice Murphy holding the red flag (staged - as there were no trains at the time) - summer 1971. My image from a slide - taken on a Zenith-B using Agfa CT18 film.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Woodborough on the Berks & Hants extension, 1971:

image.png.5336c1a5e11bb1795574ab37d613a25f.png

Photo by Tim Roberts, originally posted to the 'Reading to Westbury and Taunton via the Berks and Hants' Facebook group and copied with kind permission.

Tim says:

Is that the original box, to the right of the bobby, that has been converted into a coal bunker?

Kev.

50 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Is that the original box, to the right of the bobby, that has been converted into a coal bunker?

Kev.

Interesting thought. This picture from 1975 shows the 'coal bunker' more clearly, what do you think?

Woodborough 23-3-1975 Zenit 47- (2).jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

To me, the "coal bunker" has all the architectural features of a brick built "locking room" and looks nothing like a coal bunker except that it actually has coal in it. Even the front access looks "knocked through".

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

There appears to be no "Lead Off Box" on the coal bunker, (maybe around the back?), but the brickwork looks ancient and there were windows and a door in the right places.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, SHMD said:

There appears to be no "Lead Off Box" on the coal bunker, (maybe around the back?), but the brickwork looks ancient and there were windows and a door in the right places.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Kev.

A bit of Google research reveals that Woodborough signal box was rebuilt in 1944. The Cornwall Railway Society website has a low-res image of the blueprint for the new box, which also shows the footprint of the old box with a note about how to deal with it.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/westbury-excl-to-reading.html#:~:text=Woodborough Signal Box Blueprint 1944

So we know a bit more about it but we still don't know why a new box was built. I wonder if it was due to War damage?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

According to RA Cooke, new box into use 27/9/44 along with new loops. Box closed 22/1/79.

That probably explains it. Old box not big enough so new one built next to it and was commissioned alongside the new loops. Not an uncommon practice, as it ensured minimal disruption to traffic.

Honiton (1957) new box on up side replaced old box on down side. Exmouth Junction new box was built next to the much-extended LSWR box it replaced. 

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Dudding Hill Junctions between Neasdon and Cricklewood in London. I have included before but I found a gap in the hedge, to get a view of the unusual extension to one of the last working mechanical boxes in London.

Mike Wiltshire1718203339_duddinghill2.jpg.d7a78cebf2ccd2e895e7763677415519.jpg1404714249_duddinghill1.jpg.634419159a70c51d1e6a5af42fe43ee4.jpg1261826783_duddinghill3.jpg.7bc2463822e1b745381561feac37ee7b.jpg

F63F17EF-D988-4B90-9C0B-A9FABF166BAA.jpeg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 14

Like for like involves very little design cost. If you install a colourlight you need a robust power supply, mechanical and electrical changes in the signalbox, additional circuitry, changes to signal positions, alterations to sectional appendix, the list can on and on. 

These works eliminated several suspect structures and allow the line to keep working at the lowest cost option. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Superbly over-engineered as seems to be the norm these days. 

One of my favourites is this one installed at Truro a few years back when the Falmouth branch was upgraded.

582743792_D-BR-668_T26Truro29-7-09.jpg.6a43b3c0b038df3703c0f9b221b76854.jpg

Or this one from Shrewsbury.  It replaced an upper quadrant LMS arm on a wooden LNWR post that was rotting and located on the right hand side of the line.  Look closely and you will see the doll is actually two 4" diameter posts held together with several fishplates.  At least the opportunity was taken to ensure the new signal operates in the correct way!

55222020_D-BR-414_CJ13Shrewsbury21-9-08.jpg.3cf8ce9a61563c05ca8415ad36add037.jpg

No wonder everything costs so much these days!

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted to see modern-image semaphores, which, as said, provide a long-life signal at much less cost, both in cash and disruptive works. As I have said elsewhere, the bombastic paper circulated by the Southern Regional S&T Engineer in the mid-80s clearly thought semaphores were effectively history and mechanical locking beneath contempt. Wrong. Those robust and safe systems are still entirely appropriate for certain sorts of railway where heavy investment simply finds no payback. 

It may be significant that the man concerned was taken out of post after Clapham...... 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1