Hornby Dublo Deltic paint question ?

cypherman

I'd leave well alone too. It won't show on the underside anyway.

Dublo paint was applied rather generously, so it is difficult to build up a sufficiently thick paint layer. Unless this is done, the chip still shows.

It's always recommended not to touch in small chips on near mint models as it would devalue the item. I don't see the logic myself, but....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 2

New Year's Greetings to All (from the Southern Hemisphere).

I endorse the recommendations to leave "Crepello" as it is.  It certainly looks to be in very good original condition for a model approaching 60 years old. Another reason for leaving well alone is the difficulty of matching Hornby-Dublo's lower body side colour - at least I found it difficult when I converted a play-worn 2-rail Co-Co to 3-rail and repainted it as a Deltic. (At the outset I should state that I know little about early BR diesel locomotives.)

My first attempt at painting the band around the lower body was with Precision "Pale Lime Green", borrowed from a friend.  It soon became obvious that I had applied the wrong colour.  A knowledgeable friend advised me that Pale Lime Green was correct for Hymeks and others but was not the right colour for the Deltics, and that I should be painting the lower body Sherwood Green, a more olive shade. The Hornby-Dublo colour, as far as I can ascertain from the different colour renditions in photographs of "Crepello" and "St Paddy", looks like an in-between shade - odd as the Binns Road team usually got their colour matches pretty close to the real thing.

In the end I mixed my own paint, basing the shade on photographs of the restored D9015, which at least makes my Deltic  "correct" for some period of its life.  I like Garry's reference to "Dead Flesh" as an option!

You may notice in the photos that I didn't pick out the side window frames in silver-grey.  I decided that this risked ruining an  otherwise acceptable paint finish. 

901912023_GreenDieselLivery2.jpg.d68d1172beac4d1ff9a8a098cc82d4f2.jpgP1030019.jpg.7e06e0ef9a563ff7a53f1a931976c51b.jpg

P1030016.jpg.8579d88f86df2dc932b272349ed5543d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I did mine* in a sort of lime green based on the Dublo colour/ imagination. It has to be redone as the masking tape pulled off a chip of the light green when I did the dark green. One day....

* A tatty Dublo Class 5, remotored with Lima Deltic bogies  :secret: . (Not 100% successful - when I do the repaint....) The original chassis was pinched and fitted with a better body acquired later.