The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

So what we all need to do now it get the common cold and keep getting it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56483445

An interesting bit of info, which may explain why in some countries where no lockdowns were put in place infections were lower, As we know that infections of the flu were very low last year due to social distancing.

As for us getting the third wave, I thought we started it with the Kent variant at Christmas

The other bit of good news is the number of deaths and hospitalizations OK it was a weekend but looking at the 7 day averages all the signs are that the virus is still on the downturn

The one exception are the infections, the 7 day average is only down by 4% and testing is only up by the same amount. But I guess the smaller the numbers get the harder it is to find them  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The other bit of good news is the number of deaths and hospitalizations OK it was a weekend but looking at the 7 day averages all the signs are that the virus is still on the downturn

The one exception are the infections, the 7 day average is only down by 4% and testing is only up by the same amount. But I guess the smaller the numbers get the harder it is to find them  

Widespread testing in schools is likely to raise the infection numbers but providing the hospitalisations + deaths keep going down and/or level out at something acceptable (whatever that means) then it's largely academic.

Whoever thought we'd be singing the common cold's praises ! Plus as mentioned elsewhere the US findings on the AZ vaccine should settle the nerves.

Stu

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday's published gov.uk data says only 17 deaths recorded. I am always a bit dubious about results reported for the weekend - everyone is entitled to a day off, I hope, so reporting systems may be lacking - but even so this is a very encouragingly low number. Of course, 17 deaths may still mean misery for hundreds of bereaved nearest and dearest, so it is all relative, but terribly encouraging. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The UK 7 day average has been steadily dropping for the last 2 months & quite quickly for a large part of that time.

Today's death figure of 17 is the lowest for any day since September, which is positive news.

It is interesting to see the relationship between infections & deaths. Hospitalisations would be interesting too, but figures for these seem to be harder to get.

The way deaths are measured is pretty consistent.

Widespread testing was not available during the 1st wave, so many (including me) recovered simply by staying at home so never got recorded.

Testing programmes have since been in progress. Are these random testing or are people summoned for a test? I have never been.

I have been tested 2-3 times. These were all in 1 day when I was in hospital with a broken leg. I was never even informed of the results but a nurse told me "you will know about it if you are positive".

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Yesterday's published gov.uk data says only 17 deaths recorded. I am always a bit dubious about results reported for the weekend - everyone is entitled to a day off, I hope, so reporting systems may be lacking - but even so this is a very encouragingly low number. Of course, 17 deaths may still mean misery for hundreds of bereaved nearest and dearest, so it is all relative, but terribly encouraging. 

Saturday-Monday figures have usually been lower but offset by Tuesday's  when some institutions send their weekend figures back a little later.

7 day averages also started to be published a while ago (although could easily have been calculated). This figure irons out the daily bumps to produce something more meaningful & I agree that while misery for many, it is encouraging.

• Agree 2

So what we all need to do now it get the common cold and keep getting it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56483445

What are the EU up to ? now changing tactics and blaming Astra Zeneca

They suggest they want to block vaccine exports, and that the UK us using up large amounts of their vaccines, but wait a second it seems the issue may be of their own making

The Halix plant in the Netherlands hasn't yet received an EU licence to deliver vaccines or components of vaccines to member states, although the European Commission says the green light is expected soon

Seemingly they are blaming everyone else for their own failings, claiming first that the UK reacted to hastily, then not giving medicines as initially designed, trying to rubbish it,  then blaming the vaccine for unrelated episodes.

Our regulators broke their necks to get the vaccine regulated ASAP without cutting corners, our medical experts made a brave call to vaccinate more and delay the second doses, which has not only saved lives but increased its efficacy. Now they are still being overly bureaucratic and blaming others for their failings.  We certainty dodged the bullet by not joining in their procurement club.

On this one Hammond is right, our medical experts and professionals have certainly hit the ball out of the park with our response to vaccinations

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Parallel but seperate universes?

Email received from EasyJet today

Like lakes? Then head to Italy's northern region of Lombardy, where you'll find some of Europe's very best. From the glamour of Lake Como and the buzz of Lake Garda to the tropical-feeling paradise of Lake Maggiore, you can now book an easyJet holiday to one of the loveliest parts of Italy.

BBC News today

A £5,000 fine for anyone in England trying to travel abroad without good reason is due to come into force next week as part of new coronavirus laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56493002

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It's also interesting that Germany is blaming the 3rd wave on the 'Kent' variant so allowing further blame to be placed on outside forces rather than look at how the EU has performed in this whole saga.

Also interesting to note that in the early days the original variant was called China Virus or Wuhan Virus.  Then we were told it was unfair to stigmatise one country/place so we had to call it Covid-19.  Now we seem quite happy for the world to call it British variant or Kent variant. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Also interesting to note that in the early days the original variant was called China Virus or Wuhan Virus.  Then we were told it was unfair to stigmatise one country/place so we had to call it Covid-19.  Now we seem quite happy for the world to call it British variant or Kent variant. 

That said we also hear quite a bit about the South African and Brazilian variants.

It's also interesting that Germany is blaming the 3rd wave on the 'Kent' variant so allowing further blame to be placed on outside forces rather than look at how the EU has performed in this whole saga.

In Europe I think what we may be scared of is the rise of the South African and Brazilian variants, seemingly more resilient to the vaccines. We have had the Kent variant already and in Essex it killed more people in the first two months of this year, than the Chinese variant did in the previous 9 months

Over the past few days most have been posting their own reactions to the vaccine with most having the Oxford version. I looked at my card as I assumed I also had this version

But as our Belgium friends what are referring to,  I did not have the Aldi version, but the Waitrose (if they had this store) version, I am now even more interested in what our European friends are doing with vaccine supply. Having said this I would not be concerned if my top up dose was changed to the Oxford version, nothing wrong with British science

31 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Our latest export :D

There was a virologist being interviewed on the local BBC radio

Vaccines which are better acting against the South African strain are in the pipeline

The virologist thought either a top up for the South African strain may be required and of covid boosters yearly or biannually may be needed

Also our local covid volunteer group spokesperson said that the medical centre was administering 2nd doses to the over 80's yesterday

Edited by hayfield
  • Informative/Useful 1

This report in Euro news brought a smile to my face

French wine professionals would like to be prioritised for COVID-19 vaccinations.

Wine experts are "particularly impacted" in their profession by the loss of taste or smell caused by COVID-19, the country's Oenologists' Union said in a press release.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Less amusing is this report from an Italian newspaper

The Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Wednesday that authorities had discovered 29 million doses of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine stockpiled at a manufacturing site in the country. According to the newspaper, the doses likely come from AstraZeneca's Halix plant in the Netherlands, which hasn't yet been approved for EU production.

Why are the EU so slow to act, when their populations are desperate to be vaccinated?

However claims that the UK are blocking supplies either of vaccines or materials to make vaccines, whilst being perhaps the contractual situation in the former part, seemingly wildly inaccurate in the later

"The EU sources 70 percent of its vaccine ingredients from other vaccine-producing countries," van Brempt said. "Pfizer/BioNTech depends on U.K. supplies to be able to manufacture in the EU. Have we really thought this trade war through?

No wonder the likes of the Germans are against a so called vaccine war. In one way our government has kept out of the claim/blame game. Whilst being confident of continues supplies. Reading various reports the commission is in favour of restricting exports, whilst the various national politicians seemingly are against it.

Surely concentrating on delivery of more doses of vaccine is far more important than saving face or making a smoke screen to deflect criticism 

Edit

Just found this on the BBC website

La Stampa website says some 29 million vaccine doses due to be shipped to the UK were being stored at the Catalent plant in Anagni near Rome but were discovered by Italian inspectors as part of an investigation by the European Commission.

When asked by the BBC about the report, the foreign ministry in Rome and the Italian prime minister's office refused to comment. The plant has a contract with AstraZeneca to "fill and finish" its vaccines and is set to do the same for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, also approved for use in the EU.

Its a fill and finish plant, not one where the vaccine is produced !!!  Are all the doses set for the UK if so it would make a massive dent in the amount required to vaccinate all adults !!  If nothing else it shows we are all dependant on each other

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

I guess the learning here is that outsourcing manufacturing abroad leaves you at risk should you find yourself no longer friends with the host region.

China spent years cultivating the west to give it major manufacturing which means it is now in a very good position when it comes to trade wars - Russia never had this advantage and had no cards to play that ultimately led to the collapse of the USSR.

The EU has cultivated a dependency culture on it's states with open borders and shared facilities that should work well when everybody is in the club, but with one member now an ex member the pandemic came at a bad time because infrastructure changes to facilitate the new world had not taken place.  Hence we need the EU for some of our vaccinations production and the EU need us for some of their production - we need to work together but it appears to be through gritted teeth at least on one side if not both.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I read that the large AZ haul found in Italy is actually intended for Belgium, not the UK. No-one seems to know what has happened to the consignment for Oz that Italy refused to export. 

Well it is Italy.......nothing corrupt ever goes on there......:huh:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2