RMweb

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I noted 'Luddite' wasn't on the list of ethnicities?

Sad that it's become used as a derogatory label, at any rate we need an equivalent derogatory term for people who leap on anything new and religiously claim it to be our saviour (Muskites?)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Sad that it's become used as a derogatory label, at any rate we need an equivalent derogatory term for people who leap on anything new and religiously claim it to be our saviour (Muskites?)

In ordinary speak, these people are known as 'early adopters'.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In ordinary speak, these people are known as 'early adopters'.

I thought 'early adopters' were plugs that converted from round pin plugs to 13 amp plugs?

But then, I've only just got the hang of USB after DIN.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I thought 'early adopters' were plugs that converted from round pin plugs to 13 amp plugs?

But then, I've only just got the hang of USB after DIN.

I've still not got the hang of USB - I can't figure out how this could've been achieved but I'm certain it's somehow been designed so that the first attempt at plugging something in is the wrong way around far more than 50% of the time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Plus NHS letter today asking me to do a covid antibody test as part of survey so that"ll be exciting......

Stu

Cannot see me getting invited?  [NHS probably don't want to know I still exist?]

I'd 'like' one, purely out of curiosity....

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that's a lurch one way then the other then back. On the old Covid map at the most local level it was white two weeks ago then shot up in to the blue, with 14 cases. This week back to white again. I interpret that as most likely being a self-contained outbreak somewhere in the area (don't know where) that was contained and didn't get out into the community at large.

6 hours ago, alastairq said:

At what point did it all cease to cease to be heresy?

[Transportation infinitely preferable to burning  at the stake, of course]

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

But only since the beginning of the 18th century...;)

Beginning of the 19th, actually. Very localised as well; Croppers in the Colne and Calder valleys in the West Riding; and stockingers in Nottingham Derby and Leicester. All protesting about machinery (which could be operated by comparatively unskilled labour) who would cost less than them.

Edited by 62613
  • Agree 1

Various signs the virus grip is starting to weaken and the economy in the UK recovering. 

22 million people are living in an area which has not reported a covid death in April

The numbers falling ill are at their lowest since the pandemic started 

There were 30,000 deaths in the first four weeks in January, less than 600 in April

Yesterday Mr Van Tam (from memory) replied to a question that's its very safe for two fully vaccinated people to meet indoors

The economy is set for its biggest boost since the second world war (Barclays)

But we are being warned to be vigilant, and that when covid restrictions change, they change fo all. We all are both looking forward to holidays this year and European

holiday destinations are gearing up to welcome visitors, but how safe are they?

Looking at the larger EU countries, sadly some still have large problems on their hands

France has nearly 100,000 active cases, Italy 438k, Germany 320k, even the Netherlands with about 1/4 of the population has 110k. This is compared to the UK having 76k

Serious

New cases yesterday, Germany had 28K, France 26k, Italy 14k, Spain 10K, Netherlands 7k. The virus is clearly very active. The UK is still not out of the woods with just under 2.5k infections yesterday

Would I like to go abroad this year, like many yes. Will I go ? certainly not in the Summer

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 62613 said:

Beginning of the 19th, actually. Very localised as well; Croppers in the Colne and Calder valleys in the West Riding; and stockingers in Nottingham Derby and Leicester. All protesting about machinery (which could be operated by comparatively unskilled labour) who would cost less than them.

Quite right too, it’s been a very long time since the chalk board and dusty rubber hit me on the head, which could account for it :lol:

12 hours ago, 62613 said:

Outside of the areas referenced above, there were riots in Merthyr Tydfil in 1831, with the execution of the alleged ringleader, Dic Penderyn, and deportation of others.

There was also activity in various more rural areas : in South Wales, there were the Rebekah Riots (protesting at the imposition of road tolls), and in Kent, 'Captain Swing' (against mechanisation of agriculture).

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Quite right too, it’s been a very long time since the chalk board and dusty rubber hit me on the head, which could account for it :lol:

Must've been bad if they were throwing the entire board at your head instead of just the chalk!

• Funny 4

7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

That brings back memories of teachers throwing (to miss) those heavy blackboard rubbers at those of us at the back of the room not paying attention, teachers had respect in those days, no doubt they would be called child abusers now

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, hayfield said:

That brings back memories of teachers throwing (to miss) those heavy blackboard rubbers at those of us at the back of the room not paying attention, teachers had respect in those days, no doubt they would be called child abusers now

I remember a teacher aiming one, the child involved lifted the desk lid and the rubber ricocheted  through a window....

For those not of UK origin, or too young to remember them, a blackboard rubber was a 12.5cm (5in) by 7.5cm (3in) by 0.5cm (1/2 in) thick piece of wood, with felt on one side to wipe the backboard..

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Did not need ipads then, trainers had not been invented and we used real ink.

from an ink well in the desk, and we all had to take turns at being ink monitor.. That was going round each desk and filling the ink wells.. trying not get covered in dark blue ink...

Which brings me too... Just how would they have coped with Covid in the1960s or before?

Edited by TheQ

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

from an ink well in the desk, and we all had to take turns at being ink monitor.. That was going round each desk and filling the ink wells.. trying not get covered in dark blue ink...

The fun we had stamping the blackboard rubber of our friends backs, did the chalk ever come out?

• Funny 3

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Which brings me too... Just how would they have coped with Covid in the1960s or before?

An interesting thought, I think for a start people would have abided by the lockdown regulations better.... I doubt we'd have had a vaccine as quick and I suspect many more would have died than have now...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

An interesting thought, I think for a start people would have abided by the lockdown regulations better.... I doubt we'd have had a vaccine as quick and I suspect many more would have died than have now...

It would have stayed in the cave in China, very few traveled abroad in those days, if they did it was short haul

• Agree 1

Maybe, but there were a lot of wars going on in that part of the world... Though I suspect the question was if it had got out... The flu epidemics just after the two world wars showed it could happen, though perhaps not as quickly as these days... 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Maybe, but there were a lot of wars going on in that part of the world... Though I suspect the question was if it had got out... The flu epidemics just after the two world wars showed it could happen, though perhaps not as quickly as these days... 

The very deadly one after WW1 spread very rapidly. IIRC it got into and then spread in a camp where they were mustering people for transport home, was inadequately dealt with and was therefore shipped home with the returning troops. Despite knowledge in the USA they still held mass victory parades spreading it faster and further into the resident population. It got labelled Spanish Flu but I seem to also recall that was a political/news media publicity thing and not a direct connection to Spain as the origin. 

I guess the reverse applies today, the west doesn’t want to upset relations with China, so Chinese (Flu?) is not the media headline name but instead the less contentious COVID-19 is being used.