The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Do they have to keep their wheelie bins inside? That's what normally spoils a nice row of character terraced cottages.

Love the internal downpipes and outlets.

Toddled off to find the road and they're a bit more liberal a few doors along.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5304161,-0.0494565,3a,75y,155.04h,96.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sasv-a7lbmPldlRVBIC7ekQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

My Dear Boy, bins are at the tradesman's entrance at the back of the property... Where the servant left them.. 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Do they have to keep their wheelie bins inside? That's what normally spoils a nice row of character terraced cottages.

Love the internal downpipes and outlets.

Toddled off to find the road and they're a bit more liberal a few doors along.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5304161,-0.0494565,3a,75y,155.04h,96.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sasv-a7lbmPldlRVBIC7ekQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Well done in finding the location.

The houses at the far end are private and people do as they please.

All the houses are very well maintained with much of the original iron and woodwork surviving.

I agree about the bins. It is smart without them. Parking is also strictly regulated.

There is even a private war memorial. I will dig out a photograph seeing the date next week.

The whole street was almost lost as the first block was demolished and there was a campaign started to safe the rest.

How it became Cyprus Street is a mystery. The former pub was the Duke of Wellington and the street at one  time had a name associated with him.

Back to covid.

I came home from London on the train just before rush hour but it was still fairly busy. Just before departure time a woman tried to occupy the seat next to me. As she was not wearing a mask I put my bag on the seat and asked her if she would wear a mask if she was going to sit next to me. She said that she was going to put one on and produced a mask from her bag and put it on. I moved my bag. I said that it would have been better if she had put her mask on before boarding the train. A minute or so later the PA system made an announcement about wearing masks both on the train and in or near the station. I just glared at her.

Bernard

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Also the more liberal houses lack the boot scrapers - the liberal houses may be a later addition to the terrace perhaps and being not so old are not subject to the same restrictions??

It is the housing association that adopted the deep blue rather than any local conservation are restriction.

Bethnal Green is not widely known for its architectural treasures .

Bernard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I wonder whether more wives murder their husbands, than vice versa?

On a serious note an unfortunate trait amongst males has traditionally been to give their wives the cause as to why they did so. the misogynistic trait may be in decline (new man and all that) but not fast enough.  If that type of bloke is also likely to be anti-vax and anti-mask (Thinking I'm too macho for that), as if yes perhaps Darwin's theory will occur.

Edited by john new

2 minutes ago, john new said:

An unfortunate trait amongst males has traditionally been to give their wives the cause as to why they did so. the misogynistic trait may be in decline (new man and all that) but not fast enough.  

I'm not so sure it is on the decline, just taken different tangents with the rise of social media and the internet.  It's not a topic we should get into here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Looking at this chart am I seeing that more males are born than female, but females live longer than males and it starts when males enter their mid thirties.

At the very top end of age I can understand - males were once more likely to be employed in very much more manually intensive industries which came with health penalties in later life and war will still account for some of the variance.  However, given the wholesale change in types of jobs available, lack of large scale war and a focus on fitness, it would be interesting to know if the surplus of males is now heading upwards or if the surplus wasn't always there and it is a recent trait.

As far as I know, the natural proportion of males/females is almost equal everywhere.  There is no "group fitness" leading to excess conception of males to compensate for higher losses in later life.

Where there have been significant departures from 50:50, it can point towards selection for males through abortion - most dramatically through the "one child" policy in China, but in some other cultures where a dowry is expected of a daughter given in marriage.  Of course that doesn't happen here in the UK...

36 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Lets not make light of abuse please, it's not a funny subject nor one to be light hearted about.

BLIMEY!

I'm referring to murder, not abuse!!!  If a topic cannot withstand even mild humour anyway, then we are a really sad place altogether.

Abuse is something entirely different, and if one is not going to dramatise {IE, make light of?} abuse, then 99% of the detective murder dramas on telly should be removed!!

I never mentioned abuse at all. 

I never inferred abuse at all!

But I'm beginning to get the impression this entire forum is becoming far too sensitive even for my eclectic tastes!!! [Plus, it is not a forum I would miss, if, even, mildly humorous thoughts get jumped upon, by someone somewhere who might find even model railways to be offensive?!!  Especially for what railways have represented historically?]

• Agree 5

Just now, alastairq said:

BLIMEY!

I'm referring to murder, not abuse!!!  If a topic cannot withstand even mild humour anyway, then we are a really sad place altogether.

Abuse is something entirely different, and if one is not going to dramatise {IE, make light of?} abuse, then 99% of the detective murder dramas on telly should be removed!!

But I'm beginning to get the impression this entire forum is becoming far too sensitive even for my eclectic tastes!!! [Plus, it is not a forum I would miss, if, even, mildly humorous thoughts get jumped upon, by someone somewhere who might find even model railways to be offensive?!!  Especially for what railways have represented historically?]

When you've stared at the fist of someone four times your size winding up and aimed at your face, come back and make jokes about what might lead one person to want to harm another.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Anyway, back on topic, any chance that Covid has disappeared from my locality look to be gone.

In the few short hours my other half was out and about this morning she was shocked at the state of people:

• person at the bloods clinic told to leave and get a PCR test
  • another person at same clinic removing her mask to cough!!
  • person at Boots asking for something from the pharmacist to help their friend with covid
  • multiple coughing people at Costa (could be colds, but lets face it the odds of someone having more than a cold look good)

I am isolating to my railway room for the next three days and watching her closely.

• Friendly/supportive 6

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

When you've stared at the fist of someone four times your size winding up and aimed at your face, come back and make jokes about what might lead one person to want to harm another.

Been there, had that!

Still nothing whatsoever to do with the thoughts behind my original post, however!

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, alastairq said:

The former is an extreme and unchecked version of the latter. It's not for you to judge what our standards should be in terms of humour on such matters.

• Round of applause 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In the few short hours my other half was out and about this morning she was shocked at the state of people:

I called in at the farm shop for some bits last week. Mistake! Half term with PYO pumpkins and dozens of kids (with unmasked parents) all over the place coughing and sneezing. Originally the shop made itself a safe environment but it just looked like they'd given up last week with signs removed etc.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

It's not for you to judge what our standards should be in terms of humour on such matters.

Really?

Maybe it's time to cease all these non-railway modelling threads altogether?

Or, is this actually a community? 

A community where humour and levity can co-exist alongside the sensitivities of others?

For without humour and levity, we are all in danger of diving down the well of deep dark depression!

Especially given some of the topics??

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Apart from Keith Richards, but that is another thread entirely.

Keef actually looks quite a bit older than he really is.

It reputedly has something to do with drinking Wild Turkey, but I'm not sure whether that's responsible for his longevity or his appearance.:jester:

John

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, alastairq said:

A community where humour and levity can co-exist alongside the sensitivities of others?

For without humour and levity, we are all in danger of diving down the well of deep dark depression!

What you said wasn't funny so your argument is a non sequitur. Move on.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, EddieB said:

As far as I know, the natural proportion of males/females is almost equal everywhere.

Surprisingly, it isn’t. Most studies seem to show 2% to 8% excess of human male births where no deliberate selection is going-on, and lots of scientists have spent decades trying to work out precisely why that happens.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Surprisingly, it isn’t. Most studies seem to show 2% to 8% excess of human male births where no deliberate selection is going-on, and lots of scientists have spent decades trying to work out precisely why that happens.

Interesting! For some reason I thought that it was the other way around. I suppose there's no particular reason to think that whatever results in male or female development in the womb should be exactly 50-50, there's unlikely to be much evolutionary pressure for an exact split.

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

BLIMEY!

Did you not know we are in the Woke age !!!  Comedy has changed, 

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Moving on, there appears to be some good news in that the UK has approved and bought stocks of the first pill designed to treat symptomatic Covid. Supplies should be delivered from later this month.

It does raise an interesting dilemma for the anti vax mob; if offered will they take a drug rapidly developed and without decades of testing?

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The irony of taking offence at not being able to offend.

We are getting offended by the wrong things. Especially important, society would be better if we appreciated rather than got offended by criticism and if we were offended that we’re made to feel scared to be politically incorrect.
It not only stifles our freedom of expression but makes the majority feel in the minority.

Anyhoo back to playing trains…..

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Neil said:

Moving on, there appears to be some good news in that the UK has approved and bought stocks of the first pill designed to treat symptomatic Covid. Supplies should be delivered from later this month.

It does raise an interesting dilemma for the anti vax mob; if offered will they take a drug rapidly developed and without decades of testing?

At £500-odd per course of treatment, I hope the NHS will save it for those who get the virus badly despite getting vaccinated.

John

I last had flu back when the country was being ravaged by Mexican [or, swine?] flu.

The NHS [public health?] had instituted a system whereby one rang a number, and a course of Tamiflu was inserted into one's letterbox.

I tried the Tamiflu, as directed....and got appreciably 'worse'....

I also contacted [out of hours, offline, so to speak] my GP, who rang 2 days later [from his home, it was Christmas]...and told me to stop taking the Tamiflu at once!

The result was an almost 100% improvement in my symptoms....I still had the Mex flu, but felt a lot more able to cope [living as a singly.]...

Conclusion was, my good self didn't get on with Tamiflu.  

I haven't had any sort of flu since...

But I do have a bit of reluctance when it comes to these drugs..