Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Well here we are back in a cold and rather bleak Vienna.  Feeling a tad low as my girls went back to the US on New Year's Day and I won't see them again until March.  Here are a few more pics of our visit to the SVR.  Excuse the rather strange ICE powered interloper, but seeing as it's named after the ship that I went frontline with then I thought it shouldn't be missed!

IMG_3826.JPEG.e6f56c67fb260ad4ebb853a9aacebeca.JPEG

IMG_3817.JPG.93e2e52f431f3525ea324005f4d4915b.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG.6d2d3908261c0eda8f3ce55a851b6212.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG.2272b7152254d459ef330dd58dadcc25.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG.3baaef410e133b2abffb63640237198c.JPG

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My experience of those Bachmann pipe couplings is the gap is still significant when used on some coaches, trial some and see what looks satisfactory Graham.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My experience of those Bachmann pipe couplings is the gap is still significant when used on some coaches, trial some and see what looks satisfactory Graham.

Thanks for that Robin.  I'll do some experimenting when they arrive.  Matters aren't helped by my having cut the NEM pockets off some of my coaches, with the thought at the time that "I'll never go back to tension locks, so those boxes can go".  Not being aware then of the other options...  Never mind!

• Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

if you as much as give it a stern look...

Then be gentle with it...and yourself too. Lovely pics of trains, and quite right to include the diseasel, considering! Toplight's gorgeous, the rake looks perfectly 'Swindon Standardisation', and couplings will sort themselves out - keep trying until you find one you like...or spend more time on the forum/youtube to learn from others' mistakes... 😇

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Those coaches are really good!

I see what you mean about the couplings though - the one on the end in the last photo looks like a droopy TT:120 affair. Have you considered Hunt Magnetic Couplings?

Thanks BL.  I’ll add Hunt to the list of possible solutions!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the grab handles and door handles have now been fitted - although the latter are pretty hard to see!  And I've made a start on forming up the end handrails.  Ugh, horrible job!  This is the first one, I think it needs more of a curve before I commit to fitting it permanently though.

IMG_3898.jpeg.f5baadc269708f38e50699642b0d1bd0.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Agreed. If you wouldn't mind doing CR all over again in 7mm that'd be great, thanks.

😇

Har dee har.  You can go off people, you know 🙃

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

That toplight looks really good Graham, the extra details make the sides seem 3d. Seeing it in a train is typical Great Western, making up rakes seemingly from whatever was handy.

I've had the opposite problem with the handrails I made for my clerestory cut and shuts, slightly over long so ended up with too sharp a bend in them.....🤬

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That toplight looks really good Graham, the extra details make the sides seem 3d. Seeing it in a train is typical Great Western, making up rakes seemingly from whatever was handy.

I've had the opposite problem with the handrails I made for my clerestory cut and shuts, slightly over long so ended up with too sharp a bend in them.....🤬

Danke schon Herr W.  I think I've now got the curve about right - just have to make three more that look vaguely similar!  The instructions in the kit are very helpful:  "Make four end handrails from wire".  Reminds me a bit of the old Haynes manual gag along the lines of "reassembly is simply the reverse of all the previous steps"...

IMG_3899.jpeg.9ab479a3fc69f5e204426d5ba15df3d3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

A bell has just gone off in my brain.... on BR standard MK1 I think they double up at pipe connections to fill up the roof tanks for the WC... how did the GWR fill their roof tanks

Someone correct me please if I am wrong

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Scott.  It's been quite a challenging build, but I'm quite pleased with how the coach is looking so far.  I have another one to build, which hopefully will go a bit more smoothly!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The handrails are now on and painted.  I formed the curves at the top ends first, bending the wire around a rat tail file, and then tried (not very successfully) to match up the curves for the longest sections.  The four are certainly all individuals... 

For the next toplight kit I'm wondering if it would be possible to superglue a couple of lengths of brass wire together, form them into shape as a pair, and then separate them.

IMG_3906.jpeg.d94428b031b1a8d9ae56a64602f92100.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg.8cf982fd74ee4e0f4760688420bd90e8.jpeg

Next step will be to add the lettering from HMRS, and then weather the roof and underframe.  I think I'll use powders there, and then seal with a spray of matt varnish - having masked the sides first!

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The handrails are now on and painted.  I formed the curves at the top ends first, bending the wire around a rat tail file, and then tried (not very successfully) to match up the curves for the longest sections.  The four are certainly all individuals... 

For the next toplight kit I'm wondering if it would be possible to superglue a couple of lengths of brass wire together, form them into shape as a pair, and then separate them.

IMG_3906.jpeg.d94428b031b1a8d9ae56a64602f92100.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg.8cf982fd74ee4e0f4760688420bd90e8.jpeg

Next step will be to add the lettering from HMRS, and then weather the roof and underframe.  I think I'll use powders there, and then seal with a spray of matt varnish - having masked the sides first!

I'll let you into a secret - but don't tell anyone 😎 I haven't done the end handrails on my recent carriages. I am surprised there isn't a jig you can buy for them.

I'm not relishing making the handrail for the front of the County 4-4-2T, being the face of the loco it has to be perfect. I've seen a video of Tony Wright making them and he makes it look very easy!

The carriage looks very nice, well done.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

he makes it look very easy

On the Missenden course the experts say its best to plan on making three times as many as you want and then picking the best of the crop - and these are experts so I guess we should not beat ourselves up too much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I built a couple of these coaches ages ago, I must admit they don’t come out of their box very often. The way that you have added the grab rails and handles makes a big improvement over the printed ones.

Well done.

Brian

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

On the Missenden course the experts say its best to plan on making three times as many as you want and then picking the best of the crop - and these are experts so I guess we should not beat ourselves up too much.

Thanks Andy, that seems like an awful lot of wire going to waste!

But of the Missenden guys are saying that, clearly thats the way to go. I was hoping someone would say "but there is a Jig" - company xyz sell it 🤣

Instead, I will have to practice.

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1