Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium

The missing bit could be the motion bracket.

I would disconnect the motor and the tender, put a meter to the motor wires and see if you get a circuit, if no, reconnect the tender and repeat the test, if you still don't get a circuit, you don't have a short. Next, connect the meter to one of the motor wires and connect to one of the pickups, do you have a circuit? No, try the other side pickups. Still no! Repeat for the other motor wire. If you're not getting circuits, then the wires have a break in one or the other or both. Whilst the motor is out, put power to it. You will now know where the problem lies, if any.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks chaps.  The loco is still in bits, so I applied the battery to the lugs at top and bottom of the motor - no movement.  So I think perhaps the motor itself is dead?

I think the electrical gubbins spanning the motor terminals should be taken off for the test. AFAIK this is for RF suppression, no other useful purpose, test the motor standalone without further unknown variables.

Again AFAIR, Hornby advise that these are sealed motors, no serviceable parts, I've had one in another large 4-6-0 GWR loco fail on me after little running time, others have perfectly fine and done substantial duty.

There could be a dead short in the motor. I think 25-30 quid for the replacement based on when I looked.

Colin

• Like 3

I would disconnect the motor and all the suppression bits and establish if the motor is working, only once you know the motor works is it worth trying to do checks on the wiring as you have too many variables. Work back from the motor once you know its ok until you have it running at each stage of the wiring joints etc. i knw nothing about DCC so will leave that to everyone else, but get it running on DC first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm as far as page 120-something now and this post has spoiled me on the question as to what's going to happen to the blank space where the turntable was originally planned to go 😁

The first third of this thread is a fantastic testament to how incredible CR is. I am in awe of your abilities and the fantastic, helpful information provided by everyone here.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

I'm as far as page 120-something now and this post has spoiled me on the question as to what's going to happen to the blank space where the turntable was originally planned to go 😁

See what happens when you cheat and read the last chapter first.

:-)

Still plenty of good reading left in between.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's starting to look somewhat bleak at Chuffnell R, but not as bad as it will look soon!  All the rolling stock now packed away...

IMG_3966.jpeg.831903e97231178e2cd6d49171d7eb01.jpeg

Hi Graham,

Don’t feel too down about what you’ve got to do. Chuffnell R is immortalised on RMWeb and its development has delighted and entertained loads of people. I’m sure you have hugely enjoyed making it and sharing it with us. Job done!

Change has to come and we’re all looking forward to seeing what you do next, whenever and whatever that might be!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Don’t feel too down about what you’ve got to do. Chuffnell R is immortalised on RMWeb and its development has delighted and entertained loads of people. I’m sure you have hugely enjoyed making it and sharing it with us. Job done!

Absolutely agree with this. Onwards and westwards Graham 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

See what happens when you cheat and read the last chapter first.

:-)

Still plenty of good reading left in between.

Paul.

The butler did it!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Graham,

Change has to come and we’re all looking forward to seeing what you do next, whenever and whatever that might be!

Thank you Phil.  You can rest assured that I will be pestering you for planning ideas as soon as I've identified a new home for Chuffnell Regis 🙂

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Graham when the new CR arises will you start a new topic or carry on from here to keep all of the developments in one place?

i think I’ll just continue on with this thread John.  Put all the eggs in one basket !

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

51 minutes ago, Graham T said:

i think I’ll just continue on with this thread John.  Put all the eggs in one basket !

Will they be hard boiled or runny?

Just asking as I prefer Cadburys.

• Funny 3

I can imagine that taking it all apart and packing it away must be quite hard after all the effort you put into it.

However, look how far you’ve come since you started!
Reading between the lines of some of your later posts - the repeated mention of “Chuffnell Regis 2” - it’s obvious that your skills have improved to the point where you feel you “could do better” than what you’ve already created.

Now you’ve got the perfect excuse to start again, but with the advantage of already having stock and buildings ready to go. You’ve often mentioned the baseboard and track not being quite as good as you’d like, so you’ve also identified skills to improve on.

Given your dabblings with the LMS, have you considered modelling a junction between them and the GWR? Not necessarily a station, but maybe a set of exchange sidings?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Graham T said:

It's starting to look somewhat bleak at Chuffnell R, but not as bad as it will look soon!  All the rolling stock now packed away...

IMG_3966.jpeg.831903e97231178e2cd6d49171d7eb01.jpeg

Morning Graham, greetings from the sunny Costa Blanca.

How about this as a possibility……. Would you believe that at one point, Henley-on-Thames also looked as bleak as CR?

If you look back in my thread, you will see in about February 2019 in preparation for the move to Spain, the layout was cut in half and then folded into itself. Wood was braced between the two sections and the thing was wrapped into an old duvet in case it should rain when it’s going into or out of the removal truck!

Just a thought.

Good luck with the move, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I can imagine that taking it all apart and packing it away must be quite hard after all the effort you put into it.

However, look how far you’ve come since you started!
Reading between the lines of some of your later posts - the repeated mention of “Chuffnell Regis 2” - it’s obvious that your skills have improved to the point where you feel you “could do better” than what you’ve already created.

Now you’ve got the perfect excuse to start again, but with the advantage of already having stock and buildings ready to go. You’ve often mentioned the baseboard and track not being quite as good as you’d like, so you’ve also identified skills to improve on.

Given your dabblings with the LMS, have you considered modelling a junction between them and the GWR? Not necessarily a station, but maybe a set of exchange sidings?

I still cringe when I think back to some of my original ideas for a track plan (please don't look!)  I had absolutely no idea how a railway actually operated.  And despite the enormous amount of really helpful advice and encouragement available through this forum, I didn't have much more clue as to how I should go about baseboard building, track-laying, and wiring.  All of that stuff is equally embarrassing!

But as you rightly say, I have made some progress.  And this is a good opportunity to build something better, rather than being seen as a shame having to take apart something that isn't all that good anyway.

As you mention, I do like the LMS as well, so that will no doubt be a feature of the reincarnation.  (Lazarus Junction anybody?!)  I have toyed with the idea of a fictional addition to the S&DJR, where I could even run some Southern stock as well.

More to follow no doubt 🙂

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Graham, greetings from the sunny Costa Blanca.

How about this as a possibility……. Would you believe that at one point, Henley-on-Thames also looked as bleak as CR?

If you look back in my thread, you will see in about February 2019 in preparation for the move to Spain, the layout was cut in half and then folded into itself. Wood was braced between the two sections and the thing was wrapped into an old duvet in case it should rain when it’s going into or out of the removal truck!

Just a thought.

Good luck with the move, Neal.

Good morning Neal, and greetings to you from a dry but rather windy Vienna.  I did take note of your ideas about cutting Chuffnell R into sections for the move to the UK, so that I would have something to run stock on in the new house.  But the inherent problems that I built into the current layout - wonky baseboards and track, coupled with shoddy electrical work - make me think that it's probably not worth the effort.   What I might do is preserve the "fiddle yards", so that I can at least trundle a loco up and down for playing testing!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking very forlorn - but as you say onwards and upwards. When you come to new baseboards I would very strongly recommend the laser cut ply kits made by several suppliers. I had mine all done that way to my overall shape and got a custom kit which went together really well and left me a completely flat, light and very stiff base to work from.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Looking very forlorn - but as you say onwards and upwards. When you come to new baseboards I would very strongly recommend the laser cut ply kits made by several suppliers. I had mine all done that way to my overall shape and got a custom kit which went together really well and left me a completely flat, light and very stiff base to work from.

I'll take a look at that for sure Andy.  Or I may try making my own using this technique.

Meanwhile, in the "not news at all category", I can confirm that it's a tad quicker to destroy a layout than it is to build one...

Also, I don't think I will be able to salvage much, if any of the track and points.  It's ballasted of course, and pretty solidly attached to terra firma.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

That's an idea - but I couldn't find those on the C&L website?

Ah!  Yes I can.  Need to do some maths now.  Time to take the shoes and socks off...

Edited by Graham T
  • Funny 3