Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

And here's a view from a Sea King pootling about on a low-level navex up the Wye Valley.  You can see that I've added a bit of cow parsley.  Should I put in more do you think?  If I do I'll probably give it a very dilute wash of brown to tone it down a little.  The boggy patch at the lower right may become a very small pond, I'm not sure yet.

image.png.930d2bdf50499ceecb783e5aa4dbae06.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

18 year old S4 Avant

I know we're veering off topic, but the S4 is a cool machine and I hope you get to enjoy it some more soon. When in business in the UK, I enjoyed some good motors, including the main German brands, but not Audi. The V6 C Class was refined and utterly boring, but the straight six 525 really was a driver's car and went all over France and a few trips to Germany and I still miss it.

However, modern cars really do nothing at all for me now, but I enjoy an eclectic mix of classics from '36 to '76'

Right, back to the railways, probably  :devil:

Edited by longchap
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The tree looks great, spot on with the new scatter mix.

Im also not looking forward to driving in the UK… again like France and Austria, our roads are generally very down here. Of course due to Covid, we last drove in the UK in Sept 2019, cancelling holidays in 2020 and 2021. 

I shall be loading up with model railway items and decent beer on the way back here!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, longchap said:

I know we're veering off topic….

However, modern cars really do nothing at all for me now….

For the last 10 years in the UK I had convertible BMW 1 or 4 series at different times… in those days my car was my office!

Now I drive a Ford Fiesta and don’t miss the UK cars at all. (I also drive a motorhome, but that’s a very different story) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, longchap said:

I know we're veering off topic, but the S4 is a cool machine and I hope you get to enjoy it some more soon. When in business in the UK, I enjoyed some good motors, including the main German brands, but not Audi. The V6 C Class was refined and utterly boring, but the straight six 525 really was a driver's car and went all over France and a few trips to Germany and I still miss it.

However, modern cars really do nothing at all for me now, but I enjoy an eclectic mix of classics from '36 to '76'

Right, back to the railways, probably  :devil:

My S4 is the 4.2 V8, and has also been remapped, so the 155mph limiter is gone.  It's probably somewhere around 380 bhp now.

I'd imagine it'll scare me half to death next time I drive it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

I'd imagine it'll scare me half to death next time I drive it!

Ha, I know that feeling, but you can overcome it! Having bought the '36 Austin Ulster in the UK, mainly for use at a little event we have over here, I visited my mate Brian's workshop in Hampshire to see how his finessing was coming along. Not immediately seeing it, I enquired where Alistair was, to which he stretched out his arms and said, "Everywhere!" Needless to say, it had been reduced to all of its constituent parts and it was well worth it. Great fun with a rebuilt engine revving to 8650 in a flexible chassis, that it redefines one's confidence in available car control! Needless to say, the cable operated brakes were ditched and besides, or perhaps because of the absence of roof, windscreen, doors and seatbelts, it is an absolute hoot to drive every time you safely climb out of it with a stupid grin on your face!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The trouble is, if you do get the chance to drive something like that, you end up thinking that any recent car you drive is far too sensible. :D

I refer you back to my S4 :)

Not the most sensible car in the world!

• RMweb Gold

Ahem :)

The gate has now been cobbled together and installed.  It's supposed to be leaning!  More hedgery and cow parsley now needed, and a multitude of little tweaks here and there.

image.png.fc5f04458ebdf16f44b767f4f6d363d0.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I've also tried to make the entrance to the field look a bit muddy?  I did put down a layer of polyfilla and make the impressions of hoof-prints in it, but you can't see them from normal viewing distance.

• Friendly/supportive 3

But you know that the hoof prints are there and that's the important thing. It would probably bother you if they weren't there more. I do like the gate, for some reason, a model railway needs a leaning gate. I'm planning at least one. That's a nice little scene that's full of details without being crowded. Definitely a case of less is more. Some of the cameo (I don't even like the word!) scenes on layouts look a little contrived, shoehorned in or just plain naff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1