Builder of van to be identified

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting. And an interesting shaped brake lever too. With my other hat on as compiler of a book of Cambrian drawings for the WRRC, I shall watch out for that one. When I looked yesterday all except the vehicles I mentioned had "V" shaped "V" hangers.

The Cambrian would have made it much easier for modellers if it had put wagon numbers on the sides instead of the ends! Only a few hundred fixed sided two plankers to chose from.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The drawing that we both have copies of has a V-irons that is very similar to the one on a Cambrian sand wagon. The other Y shaped one is seen in the background of some Cambrian official photographs like on page 206 in Great Western  Way.

20210331_093248.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2021 at 10:00, airnimal said:

The drawing that we both have copies of has a V-irons that is very similar to the one on a Cambrian sand wagon. 

"Sand wagon" sounds to me like an antique ordinary open wagon put out to grass on departmental duties - so could well be of late 160s vintage.

4 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Ohh look,  a worn wooden brake block...

...now I'll have to modify the CAD. 

I wonder what the lifetime in service of a wooden block was?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

I wondered about that too. Also with the LNWR blocks there is more wood behind the pivot than in front. Does that mean the were intended to be reversible?

They are chunky, aren't they?

2065890461_D242024brakeblock.jpg.286d05f77a91fb727f4dc52e32fb45b9.jpg

[Crop of official photo of D2 No. 42024, put together even faster than I can assemble a Ratio kit, from L&NWR Society website.]

It doesn't look very reversible. I can't see that there was the possibility of changing the angle between the block holder and the brake lever; maybe the idea was to drill new mounting holes in the block as it wore down? Seems a bit unlikely.

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

could well be of late 160s vintage

Blimey, I knew the Romano-British had retreated to Cymru and remained essentially Roman for a long time after the Romans left Britain but that's an amazing survival...

Edited by CKPR
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed what is lurking on the right hand side of this photo:

1444190931_BCRGBV1.jpg.bfa3bd7325c507399bca33ea9f8cb527.jpg

Is it one of these vans? I can't think what else it can be. A useful clue about colour and lettering style.  And is it a vehicle or just a body on bricks?

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The model van is coming along though I am not very fast at the moment for a number of reasons.

But a new query for the "old wagon" experts. Two photos, the only ones I know of, of the earlier generation BCR cattle wagons.

1352693457_BCRearlycattlewagons1.jpg.edf011e88855773223dca17c0cb00ad6.jpg

6356099_BCRearlycattlewagons2.jpg.2410b8038ffffadf38303322164b12dc.jpg

Very distinctive. But any suggestions as to who might have built them? As you can see the amount we know about the underframes is minimal, but the open ends are unusual - at least I have not seen others.

Anyway when the van is complete I want to build a couple of these. They will be a challenge and I don't think an all plastic approach will work, so probably a brass frame for the body.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Anyway when the van is complete I want to build a couple of these. They will be a challenge and I don't think an all plastic approach will work, so probably a brass frame for the body.

Thoughts?

Perhaps you could follow @airnimal's approach, which is to follow the prototype and build up the framing first, using Evergreen sections?

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

.........but the open ends are unusual - at least I have not seen others.

Early pre-diagram book cattle trucks on the CR were open ended like that, though the ends were later boarded over.  They were built by the Metropolitan C & W Co. in 1870.  They had two vertical frame members between the doors and the ends on the lower bodyside.

Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/04/2021 at 13:55, Compound2632 said:

"Sand wagon" sounds to me like an antique ordinary open wagon put out to grass on departmental duties - so could well be of late 160s vintage.

I wonder what the lifetime in service of a wooden block was?

Not very long on a sand wagon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not very long on a sand wagon.

Ho ho.

But, it depends how much travelling you think a sand wagon did. I'm inclined to think such a thing was just a sand bin on wheels standing around the loco yard.