Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

44 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

In the end I could not resist getting at least one lot from SAS and hopefully will soon be in receipt of another Siphon (I will have to change the Oxford label of course):

siphonH.jpg.2225102d3c8387cae5ea7e06aca4c1fd.jpg

That looks very good indeed, in a way I'm glad it's too big for my layout, otherwise I would be that little bit more skint...

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That looks very good indeed, in a way I'm glad it's too big for my layout, otherwise I would be that little bit more skint...

To be fair I doubt a J ever went to Helston - more likely beaten up six wheelers - luckily I have some of those as unmade kits to go with the two Ratio bogie F's I already have running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the “Brown vehicles in passenger trains” thread,  @martinT reports;

“I've just acquired a Bristol Division 'Working of Coaches' book for October 28 1940 UFN, a fascinating document which provokes more questions. There are lots of references to Siphon Gs, but only a pair of references to a Siphon H. The 9.15pm Swindon to York conveyed, at its head, a Siphon H that was making a Neyland to Sheffield journey. It had arrived at Swindon on the 8.48am from Fishguard. The return journey, given as Sheffield to Swansea, was made as last vehicle (behind 2 Siphon Gs from Sheffield to Helston & Penzance) on the 10.5pm York to Bristol. It was worked forward from Temple Meads on the 9.5am departure to Swansea. The provoked questions are of course: 'why a Siphon H? What was the traffic?' “

If a Helston/Penzance Siphon G went defective and the nearest available replacement was a Siphon J, then the idea of one at Helston becomes more feasible?

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

In the “Brown vehicles in passenger trains” thread,  @martinT reports;

“I've just acquired a Bristol Division 'Working of Coaches' book for October 28 1940 UFN, a fascinating document which provokes more questions. There are lots of references to Siphon Gs, but only a pair of references to a Siphon H. The 9.15pm Swindon to York conveyed, at its head, a Siphon H that was making a Neyland to Sheffield journey. It had arrived at Swindon on the 8.48am from Fishguard. The return journey, given as Sheffield to Swansea, was made as last vehicle (behind 2 Siphon Gs from Sheffield to Helston & Penzance) on the 10.5pm York to Bristol. It was worked forward from Temple Meads on the 9.5am departure to Swansea. The provoked questions are of course: 'why a Siphon H? What was the traffic?' “

If a Helston/Penzance Siphon G went defective and the nearest available replacement was a Siphon J, then the idea of one at Helston becomes more feasible?

Wonderful! Many thanks for that. And we know that Micas were used by the meat packers at Helston so presumably they had the dry ice supply that the J would need. I guess I will need to rub out the Oxford and write Penzance.

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Wonderful! Many thanks for that. And we know that Micas were used by the meat packers at Helston so presumably they had the dry ice supply that the J would need. I guess I will need to rub out the Oxford and write Penzance.

Andy

I noticed quite a few vans including meat ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am soon to begin putting down the foliage on the Helston embankments and wonder how far to go.

This picture from the current Falmouth branch shows what can happen even on a working Cornish line which is way more than the older B&W image from the 1950s below it.

Probably a bit OTT though?

1866289773_106HelstonRd_Page_1.png.31659ff9dc3d6c2d563a794acefc36f3.png

DSCF2077.JPG.7b6dd892d9e55fd0ca815b823535de02.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I am soon to begin putting down the foliage on the Helston embankments and wonder how far to go.

This picture from the current Falmouth branch shows what can happen even on a working Cornish line which is way more than the older B&W image from the 1950s below it.

I’d certainly go for something like your 1950s image rather than the 21st century jungle.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Definately no jungle, as such a fire hazzard in steam day summers would be a recipe for dissaster. Neat and tidy is the GWR way to go!

Great shot of the boggie bolster Andy, which reminds me that I need to get my Mainline version out of its box and weather it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, longchap said:

Definately no jungle, as such a fire hazzard in steam day summers would be a recipe for dissaster. Neat and tidy is the GWR way to go!

Great shot of the boggie bolster Andy, which reminds me that I need to get my Mainline version out of its box and weather it.

Yes the photo shows bolsters made it to Helston - this is taken from the entrance overbridge at the station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

As part of  my preparation I have watched a couple of youtube videos. In one the modeller used soil powders for the trackside cess. I had not planned to do this but wondered if anyone thought it a good idea?

I use sieved ash from a wood burner..looks the part..

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2022 at 10:57, Andy Keane said:

The lineside growth in the modern photo is way more than it was in the 1950's, let alone the 1930's and much more like the second image. I was born in Penryn in 1946 and, despite moving to Stithians in 1952, the local station was my regular haunt on Saturdays until I reached the age of 10 when I was allowed to travel from Penryn to the 'big' station at Truro.

The embankments and cuttings were kept clear of trees,  IIRC it was part of the lineside gangs duties to remove any saplings on the embankments to prevent the mess visible in the modern photo. Another reason for this was that such growth could possibly damage the wires of the telephone/telegraph system which ran alongside the tracks.

Another reason for the lineside growth being restricted was fires being caused by sparks from the loco during the summer.

Is the modern photo taken from a bridge on the Falmouth branch? It looks very much like the view from the bridge at Penryn station or the one on Melville Road in Falmouth, both looking towards Falmouth Docks station.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tankerman said:

The lineside growth in the modern photo is way more than it was in the 1950's, let alone the 1930's and much more like the second image. I was born in Penryn in 1946 and, despite moving to Stithians in 1952, the local station was my regular haunt on Saturdays until I reached the age of 10 when I was allowed to travel from Penryn to the 'big' station at Truro.

The embankments and cuttings were kept clear of trees,  IIRC it was part of the lineside gangs duties to remove any saplings on the embankments to prevent the mess visible in the modern photo. Another reason for this was that such growth could possibly damage the wires of the telephone/telegraph system which ran alongside the tracks.

Another reason for the lineside growth being restricted was fires being caused by sparks from the loco during the summer.

Is the modern photo taken from a bridge on the Falmouth branch? It looks very much like the view from the bridge at Penryn station or the one on Melville Road in Falmouth, both looking towards Falmouth Docks station.

Indeed modern growth is amazing. The photo is from the Helston Road bridge looking towards Falmouth. Luckily I need only model a tufty grass and the odd bare patch for my 1930s layout which will be much easier. Though I might put a bit more on the embankment beyond the carriage shed and also behind the loco shed and platelayers hut where I have photos to work from. I got some static grass kit for Christmas and am playing on a test track. It looks easy in the videos but not so much for me.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Indeed modern growth is amazing. The photo is from the Helston Road bridge looking towards Falmouth. Luckily I need only model a tufty grass and the odd bare patch for my 1930s layout which will be much easier. Though I might put a bit more on the embankment beyond the carriage shed and also behind the loco shed and platelayers hut where I have photos to work from. I got some static grass kit for Christmas and am playing on a test track. It looks easy in the videos but not so much for me.

Good luck with the static grass tool Andy. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy to use.

Work on a small area and make sure the grounding peg is in the glue, fill the tool with grass and let it fall onto the glue. The Woodland scenics system I use, then suggests you Combe the grass and then lift surplus off with a hoover. Then apply another layer.

Its great fun!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the support on the static grass - having spent ages building the cutting I am a bit terrified of doing it and screwing up badly - but as ever you can only ever really learn by doing:

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I may remember, let me do and I will understand" (Confucius).

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks for the support on the static grass - having spent ages building the cutting I am a bit terrified of doing it and screwing up badly - but as ever you can only ever really learn by doing:

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and I may remember, let me do and I will understand" (Confucius).

Andy

The thing about this is, you cant get it wrong. If you don't like it just scrape it off and start again.... But also thats the beauty about doing it in layers. I guarantee, once the first layer is down you will be in awe about how easy and effective it is.

But as @Graham T says above, it is addictive.

I think I need to go and lay some more grass 😎 (Can you believe there is no emoji for spliff or grass 🤣)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Re the static grass. One thing I have found useful is to sparingly sprinkle finely sieved real soil over freshly applied static grass. Obviously experiment first. I have a small supply of Cornish soil for that purpose. The soil is ‘cooked’ in the oven to kill off any bacteria. (20mins @ 150c for the record!) 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The other railway related gift this year was an old Wills built up kit of an ex Taff vale - I don't think it was very expensive but still rather nicely built. Not sure one would ever have gotten to Cornwall but its a sweet little thing. I will have to convert it to DCC in due course.

20221229_122134.jpg.8b6d947ef1193b8b9c868c7cb840928f.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Re the static grass. One thing I have found useful is to sparingly sprinkle finely sieved real soil over freshly applied static grass. Obviously experiment first. I have a small supply of Cornish soil for that purpose. The soil is ‘cooked’ in the oven to kill off any bacteria. (20mins @ 150c for the record!) 

What about scatters in general? - I plan to use them on in the yard area etc (see ash above) but had not thought of doing this over the grass except perhaps people talk of little dabs of glue with coloured scatter to mimic flower heads. How do you apply such things in a controlled way though?