Looking for a Tri-ang Giraffe Telltale

Gerrard

I've bought a Tri-ang Giraffe Car (R348) that's in excellent condition, but need the Telltale (that makes the Giraffe duck), and the metal track strip that causes it to duck.

If anyone has either of those that aren't wanted, I'd be very interested.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Gerrard said:

I've bought a Tri-ang Giraffe Car (R348) that's in excellent condition, but need the Telltale (that makes the Giraffe duck), and the metal track strip that causes it to duck.

If anyone has either of those that aren't wanted, I'd be very interested.

Thanks.

What do you get if you cross a giraffe with a duck?

• Funny 2

The metal track strip is in fact a length of Super 4 rail, from a single straight track, without fishplates.

This is fitted upside down to two plastic base plates, which have edges to clip fit between the sleeper strip, and the running rail.

To get the Giraffe Car working, it is possible to attach a length of rail upside down to the centre of the track using blue-tak...

The sets originally contained two activating rails, already attached to the base plates.

The tell tale is purely cosmetic, and needs to be fitted to the track at the place where the Giraffe starts to duck.

The clip fit tongue is the standard one also used for the loading gauge, etc.

The closest thing to the original is possibly an overhead wire support.

The flaps are plastic, and pivot on a metal pin that is fitted into the plastic arm of the tell tale.

One way to find loose original parts is to search though the photos of job lots of parts on eBay, etc...you never know what you may find.

:)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The metal track strip is in fact a length of Super 4 rail, from a single straight track, without fishplates.

This is fitted upside down to two plastic base plates, which have edges to clip fit between the sleeper strip, and the running rail.

To get the Giraffe Car working, it is possible to attach a length of rail upside down to the centre of the track using blue-tak...

The sets originally contained two activating rails, already attached to the base plates.

The tell tale is purely cosmetic, and needs to be fitted to the track at the place where the Giraffe starts to duck.

The clip fit tongue is the standard one also used for the loading gauge, etc.

The closest thing to the original is possibly an overhead wire support.

The flaps are plastic, and pivot on a metal pin that is fitted into the plastic arm of the tell tale.

One way to find loose original parts is to search though the photos of job lots of parts on eBay, etc...you never know what you may find.

:)

Thanks very much for that helpful info.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What do you get if you cross a giraffe with a duck?

Ha ha ha. Good to see humour is alive and well here :D

I don't know the answer to that one, but I do know what you get if you have a dirty old ginger Tom that's eaten a duck.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Gerrard said:

Ha ha ha. Good to see humour is alive and well here :D

I don't know the answer to that one, but I do know what you get if you have a dirty old ginger Tom that's eaten a duck.

I don't know the answer either! Hoping one of our resident wags may enlighten us!?

• Like 1

Adding to Ruffnut's comments, you could make the actuating strip out of a rail and some plasticard. If you do, be careful that the actuating strip isn't too high or it will foul the pinion driving gear on locos. 

For the Telltale you could use a catenary mast, just remove the "spring" wire, and make your own "comb" for it out of paper or very thin plasticard.  

• Like 1

The telltale isn't uncommon, but the rail is IMHO (and I own at least 9 giraffe cars) very rare. I suspect it got left clipped in the track when the model was put away. As others have said, it's a piece of steel super 4 track.

Now if you want REALLY rare, find a giraffe's right ear.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The telltale isn't uncommon, but the rail is IMHO (and I own at least 9 giraffe cars) very rare. I suspect it got left clipped in the track when the model was put away. As others have said, it's a piece of steel super 4 track.

You'd think some clever individual would be ebaying 3D-printed replacements for such things, and flogging them on ebay for silly money?

Its about time someone replicated a Turbospace Battle Car to mount on a Spud motor bogie...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

That’s why it can Pay to look quite closely at job lots of track.

The plastic base plates for the activating rails were also sold as spares...I can’t remember the S. Number off hand though.

This is one of those parts that is a total mystery when you see one, a strangely shaped chunk of dark brown plastic....unless you know, that is.;)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The telltale has a spacer sleeve over the metal pin, between the plastic flaps and the post.

This is a length of the insulating sleeving used on the Tri-ang X.04, etc. Motors.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The telltale has a spacer sleeve over the metal pin, between the plastic flaps and the post.

This is a length of the insulating sleeving used on the Tri-ang X.04, etc. Motors.

Yes, I noticed that when taking the picture. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The man's right! Thank you.

Tri-ang were nothing if not resourceful.

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I didn't know that so many right ears got damaged that way, so are rare. So by sheer luck.......

And alas, no one got it right...... "What do you get if you have a dirty old ginger Tom that's eaten a duck?"   A Duck-filled-tatty-puss :lol: 

Thanks for all the good tips, info and advice on what to look for everyone.

20210417_110127.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2