The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Old Piston Engined Aircraft

Captain Cuttle

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2021 at 21:42, Captain Cuttle said:

Flak Bait,

What a story

I am no military historian, and really haven't studied war or war machines in recent times, but about 50 years ago I was lent a book called the Mighty Eighth, about the US Eighth Army Air Force. One chapter was titled Martin's Maligned Madame, about the B26, from which I inferred she was not the plane of choice for aircrew. 200 missions says otherwise - the plane that gets you home is a good 'un. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2021 at 15:42, Captain Cuttle said:

Hmmm, I just saw this thread. Very interesting, my parents may have a very tiny bit of something to do with "Flak Bait" as Dad worked in one of the tool rooms (cribs, he called them) at the Martin plant and Mother worked in an office there.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 19:54, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, I just saw this thread. Very interesting, my parents may have a very tiny bit of something to do with "Flak Bait" as Dad worked in one of the tool rooms (cribs, he called them) at the Martin plant and Mother worked in an office there.

Some interesting stuff on a B-26 in current issue of Aeroplane magazine. An outfit called Aero Trader who  mainly restores B-25s also had many rarities passing through their hangar in Chino. One was a very early B-26 Marauder  serial no.40-1464 belonging to Kermit Weeks. This very rare survivor was one of three that from the 28th  Bomb Group that all force landed in British Columbia on the same day in January 1942 after running low on fuel.

Aero Trader spent  6,000 man hours on it, not really restoring it but sorting out propeller problems, hydraulic issues etc. They didnt rate it as being very good apart from its looks. If you had an engine failure on take off and the gear was down you couldnt fly out of it.

Just recently visited the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile Alabama.  The museum does not apparently receive any State funding and unfortunately appears to have suffered through lack of attendance during Covid.  There is a nice modern building housing a number of interesting piston and jet aircraft in very good looking condition but outside are aircraft and fighting vehicles deteriorating somewhat.  The B-25J Mitchell had no glazing so open to the elements.

There was an interesting jet line up of F14, F15, F16 and YF-17, transformed by MacDonnell Douglas into the F18.