RMweb

Ikea Trestles

• RMweb Premium

There are cheaper ones at £5 - Lerberg

If it is the wooden ones at £25 then I would suggest at least investigating Aldi/Lidl table sets.  I bought 3 height adjustable tables for under €50 - so say £45 - enough to support 3 boards very stably. Of course the problem is that these are not available all year round so that is a potential problem if you need something now or in the next couple of weeks. 

• RMweb Gold

Is this for a permanent layout, or a portable/exhibition type line?

If it's the former, then some form of bracketing off the wall my be a better bet.

If you are planning a portable line which you take to shows, this non folding type of trestle has a large storage footprint.

Looking at the diagram, although you get a decent height when fully raised, there does not seem to be much in the way of locking the extended uprights in place to stop them sliding out of position if you were to fall against the board(s).  The potential for an 'end on' failure also does not look too good.

Edited by Happy Hippo

I found them sturdy and for more than 10 years one of the large heavy boards of my loft layout rested on a pair. The sliding sideways was a potential problem so one corner of the board was bracketted to the wall and the very heavy adjacent boards were physically linked thus anchoring. Cannot imagine they'd be so practical for a portable layout?

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

There are cheaper ones at £5 - Lerberg

I have some of these. They are a fixed height and rather low - only suitable for a layout if you sit to operate it, which was what I wanted for the layout involved so wasn't a problem. Certainly cheap enough.

When I looked at these, I noted that the Ikea Mittback wooden trestles only adjust from 70cm (21.5") to a maximum of 93cm (36") high, which is far too low.

By contrast, the metal trestles from Screwfix/B&Q and Aldi, adjust from 80cm (31.5") up to 130cm (51").

They're also foldable, unlike the IKEA Mittback.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/05/2021 at 09:27, Gordon A said:

I have a number of these purchased on special offer from Aldi / Lidl, now available from Screwfix at £24.99. The legs close up and the top is adjustable.

image.png.e73ef38eb5f252d41d77c10d25d79fb1.png

I also have some of these. The only note of caution I would give is that the legs don't fold to completely flat, this might be an issue for those transporting an exhibition layout where space in the car or van might be tight.

Other than that, I think they are ideal.

• RMweb Gold

I bought some of these;

https://www.buildingsuppliesdirect.com/clarke-cfsb1-adjustable-folding-saw-horse-3403002

Very useful, adjust to reasonable height for baseboard support (about 3') and fold-up for transport.
Very stury when set up.  The carrying handles are very useful because they are heavy!
I've no connection with this supplier, but I do recommend them as a happy customer.
HTH