Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

High octane petrol

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2021 at 11:13, alastairq said:

That really is a bit of a misnomer actually.

So-called 'race fuel' seems to be an ism that covers any fuel not sold directly via pumps.  

In fact, one can still purchase leaded fuel, or even fuel made with the same components that made up petrol back in the 1960's. 

Some of these so-called 'race' fuels are  sold to overcome the limitations of using today's pump petrol.

For example, shelf life?

As I mentioned above, shelf life affects the likes of gardeners, etc, who use petrol engined garden machinery, [strimmers, chain saws, mowers, etc.] Which are not used all year round. Ordinary pump petrol left to linger in fuel tanks actually goes 'off' after a month or so [loses volume as well].

Strange, our ride on which is a V-twin uses just cheap supermarket stuff and it’s left standing in its “garage” for 6 or 7 months of the year, it starts first time every year with no issues at all.

Working in vehicle R&D our company buyers bought the cheapest tanker full of the sparky stuff they could every time the tanks needed topping up, as long as it met normal standards we used it for everything from pool cars to dyno testing engines for emissions sign off, nothing fancy was ever used.

To the OP if you have a normal production vehicle just use the cheapest fuel which meets the recommendation in the manual, your wasting your money otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

This is AFAIK the current F1 mixture (2020 rules)

High octane it is not, generally around 95RON and must not contain anything not found in pump fuel, although the ratios can vary.

1448966935_F1Fuel.JPG.264d6885cf9f1e61b541e10ae0aef91b.JPG

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

This is AFAIK the current F1 mixture (2020 rules)

High octane it is not, generally around 95RON and must not contain anything not found in pump fuel, although the ratios can vary.

1448966935_F1Fuel.JPG.264d6885cf9f1e61b541e10ae0aef91b.JPG

Yes that tally’s with exactly what I buy for the mower :lol:

• Funny 1

i've had V70 T5 volvos for the last 10 years and there is a difference with 99 octane fuel over 97.

99 gives a smoother more powerfull drive and returns more mpg, and the engine sounds stronger and strangely less gutteral.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2021 at 01:23, melmerby said:

Unleaded 95RON is normal in UK

(91RON  in Australia apparantly)

That's because our Climate Change denying government is yet to change the standards!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2021 at 13:06, jonhall said:

My turbocharged Subaru runs the cheap stuff, not least because of the quantity it gets through!

Tesco Momentum (99 RON) only for mine. If you've been remapped on a specific fuel you should stick to it IMHO. If I have to put "cooking" petrol in then it's gentle driving only until the good stuff is available ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Tesco Momentum (99 RON) only for mine. If you've been remapped on a specific fuel you should stick to it IMHO. If I have to put "cooking" petrol in then it's gentle driving only until the good stuff is available ;)

This, and only this is the reason to use a “special” fuel, but as you say even then it doesn’t necessarily limit you to the one fuel as long as you know what your doing.

Some years ago, one of  the racing engine building firms did test to find out which ''super unleaded' fuel performed the best?

Turned out it was Tesco Super unleaded fuel..one of the cheaper super unleadeds available at the time. Beating all the 'named' brands.

Dunno what the current situation is, as I use the locally available, cheapest fuel , regardless. 

But then, I am never ever ever going to want, or afford, any of the modern soopah doopah high performance smartphones-on-wheels that purport to be 'motorcars' available these days.

Cannot even afford to remotely consider going electric either.

Not until someone comes out with a decent-range electric at the price of a Dacia Sandero, I won't!

Edited by alastairq
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Some years ago, one of  the racing engine building firms did test to find out which ''super unleaded' fuel performed the best?

Turned out it was Tesco Super unleaded fuel..one of the cheaper super unleadeds available at the time. Beating all the 'named' brands.

Dunno what the current situation is, as I use the locally available, cheapest fuel , regardless. 

But then, I am never ever ever going to want, or afford, any of the modern soopah doopah high performance smartphones-on-wheels that purport to be 'motorcars' available these days.

Cannot even afford to remotely consider going electric either.

Not until someone comes out with a decent-range electric at the price of a Dacia Sandero, I won't!

They are getting there, if you must stick with a Dacia Sombrero....or Homberg......or whatever they are called this week :D

https://www.electrifying.com/reviews/dacia/spring/review?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwKTl-cTk8AIVA7vVCh3PAguTEAAYAyAAEgK1nvD_BwE

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, alastairq said:

As I stated previously, major manufacturers use the cheapest/easiest/convenient supplier even if the fuel is destined for emissions and sign off testing, after all what’s the point of testing with some esoteric wonder fuel when your customer is going to run the bloody thing on pond water? ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

They are getting there, if you must stick with a Dacia Sombrero....or Homberg......or whatever they are called this week :D

https://www.electrifying.com/reviews/dacia/spring/review?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwKTl-cTk8AIVA7vVCh3PAguTEAAYAyAAEgK1nvD_BwE

£18000???????

My current daily, which I have run for several years now, cost me £500!!!    [New brake pipes, front to rear, £12 ......new fuel filter, 9 quid, new tyres, 30 quid each, new front,lower suspension arm, 60 quid..one the same make [Moog] for the other side, 30 quid!! All fitted for free...including free cups of tea.  Forgot, bought 4 new wiper blades, I've had it that long!]

If anyone thinks I'm happy paying 30 grand, or even, 100 quid a month for my lifetime, on a motor that can only do what my 500 quid one does, [certainly no better]......they can stick their adverts where the sun doesn't shine!

I'll leave electrics to the smog-breathers.....I've got plenty of fresh air here, ta very much...  :)  :)

edit, I should add, I wasn't suggesting the actual sandero [a perfectly adequate form of transport for the masses]....merely the price bracket!

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, alastairq said:

£18000??????? My current daily, which I have run for several years now, cost me £500!!!   

My point was that it’s a Dacia at £18K as soon as it rolls out of the showroom it’ll be within your price bracket :lol:

And just in case there are owners of Dacia out there.....I WAS JOKING.....;).....there are no “bad, nasty” cars any more (well not in this country) just levels of perceptual one up man ship.

Currently Sanderos can be had now for around 7-8 000 quids.  

Once they bring Cornwall's lithium mines on stream, then prices might fall...Until, that is...someone finds out how poorly paid Cornish miners are? Or how terrible their working & living conditions are?

That's if, proper Cornish folk are allowed to work in the Cornish Lithium mines?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, alastairq said:

Currently Sanderos can be had now for around 7-8 000 quids.  

Once they bring Cornwall's lithium mines on stream, then prices might fall...Until, that is...someone finds out how poorly paid Cornish miners are? Or how terrible their working & living conditions are?

That's if, proper Cornish folk are allowed to work in the Cornish Lithium mines?

Problem is nowadays the miners get paid very well.....but it only takes half a dozen to do the mining!

At least they are employing a lot more while they build the actual site.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Problem is nowadays the miners get paid very well.....but it only takes half a dozen to do the mining!

At least they are employing a lot more while they build the actual site.

I bet they'd like to pay the miners the same wages as they pay those in the DRoC?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I bet they'd like to pay the miners the same wages as they pay those in the DRoC?

I do believe it’s a completely independent company, not sure it has much investment there, might be wrong but not seen any information on that.