Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 04/01/2024 at 15:48, Steamport Southport said:

Not quite as one was actually allocated to Stratford 

Jason

Yes, you are correct, I had forgotten about 72009 being tested on the GE with a view to swapping Britannia's for Clans. However GE section management were having none of it. I believe the reason given was that although the clans were capable of keeping time they did not have the reserves to recover lost time if there were serious delays along the line. As the writing was already on the wall for steam I guess reboilering with Britannia boilers was ruled out.

Keith 

33 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Yes, you are correct, I had forgotten about 72009 being tested on the GE with a view to swapping Britannia's for Clans. However GE section management were having none of it. I believe the reason given was that although the clans were capable of keeping time they did not have the reserves to recover lost time if there were serious delays along the line. As the writing was already on the wall for steam I guess reboilering with Britannia boilers was ruled out.

Keith 

72009 Clan Stewart was used on the GE for a trial period,  from 10 September 1958 to 21 October 1958.

From what I've read, GE Section Managers were not happy at the thought of loosing their allocation of Britannia's. 

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It's the juntion between the Midland main line to Leeds and the L&Y from Wakefield so possibly an L&Y box?

Now you mention it L&Y looks likely.

David

16 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

From W&H Brutzer on Flickr. An enormous library of worldwide loco photos but this one caught my eye for quirkiness!

026 V-Lok Mai Atal 20.01.03

Mol

Eritrea is as quirky as it gets 😀

• Like 1

I’m sure I’ve seen a model of that loco in. French magazine, painted in what I assume was the original livery, very tasteful pale cream upper, with sky blue lower, separated by a red waistband.

And, thanks to the website of France’s premier gricer, Clive Laming:

IMG_2963.jpeg.fe86246e2174f21faa5df55a941d4267.jpeg

A few more fragments of information:

http://www.trainweb.org/eritrean/scrapbook/what/motive_power/tibb-diesels.html

And, in case anyone here speaks the lingo:

IMG_2964.jpeg.30737445631463fb389f00cf61a92b73.jpeg

And, for those that don’t:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogadishu–Villabruzzi_Railway

Translated from an Italian source:

“These were examples built by Fiat-Tibb with a 150 horsepower VM 166 diesel engine that powered the TIBB electric traction motor. Compared to their size they were very heavy, with a tare weight of 22 tons and a theoretical maximum speed of 50 kilometers per hour. The structure proved to be poorly thought out: tall and narrow they had too high a center of gravity which imposed low speeds and caused dangerous swaying. In 1942, when the British dismantled the railway, they were taken to Eritrea where they worked for a long time as fixed generators of electricity and the wreck of one of the two examples still survives today in complete abandonment in the Mai Atal station between Dogali and Ghinda.”

Another photo, by Gordon Edgar, and another subtly different interpretation of dates etc. I’ve got a detailed history of Italian internal combustion locos, in German oddly, and some contemporary textbooks, so when I get time I will try to nail the build date accurately, plus rating etc.

Vintage Fiat Railcar

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Shunters galore

FMCCS985 12006 and others maybe Speke Junction.

Those were the days - Sundays, belting round the country in a decrepit minibus, climbing fences to make unauthorised sccess, constantly looking over your shoulder, waiting for the cry of "Oi, gerroutofit"!

CJI.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Royal headcode 1X01 but for whatever reason, only the Saloon was required from Royal stock.

Perhaps the full train was parked up in Edinburgh (rest of the Family staying at Holyrood?)

Otherwise, a nice train to model - don't have to weather anything and only one non-RTR coach!

I have the 1969 R.O. so will have a look for any mention.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Now, this is an interesting one. A royal saloon in amongst blue and grey stock, albeit with the requisite shiny motive power, through Princes Street Gardens:

Royal Person Aboard

Very interesting image, assuming my geography is correct it’s heading away from Waverley (Scott monument in background) towards Haymarket. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DOCJACOB said:

Very interesting image, assuming my geography is correct it’s heading away from Waverley (Scott monument in background) towards Haymarket. 

Correct, it's on the Down North Line which would usually signify going through Fife on the ECML (although the numerous crossovers before and after Haymarket would enable it to cross onto the South/Glasgow/Central Scotland lines)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Now, this is an interesting one. A royal saloon in amongst blue and grey stock, albeit with the requisite shiny motive power, through Princes Street Gardens:

Royal Person Aboard

A clean GFYE 47 (or any loco) in the late 60s / early 70s was a rarity in itself!

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Swansea St Thomas 1962 by Robert Learmouth

Swansea St Thomas railway station being demolished

The Swansea Vale was a helluva railway but was treated strictly as a cash cow by the Midland who invested very little in it. Well worthwhile making your investment in the recent Lightmoor publication about its history.

Although the Great Western and its subsequent constituents ran most of the lines in South Wales I still find the ventures of the Midland and the North Western into the area of more interest.  A new volume on the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny would be most welcome.

David

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2