Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2024 at 13:00, rodent279 said:

So that is a bespoke design? Did it need safety validation/certification?

It wouldn;t need that as such provided the interlocking and control circuits were unchanged - which was the case.  This is a photo, which I took on the same day, of the panel is was being built to replace -

IMGP6819copy.jpg.d3cf21fcca78d7157c5cca1646ab3cda.jpg

On 18/01/2024 at 13:05, rodent279 said:

A Grange with a 51xx coupled inside bunker first-model that and wait for the helpful comments!

Exactly as it should have been on the Kingswear branch because, for whatever reason, it was not on the list of sections where large wheeled 2-6-2Ts were permitted to assist front a 4-6-0 .  

However running bunker first might not necessarily have suited the crew on the assistant engine so maybe they didn't have time to turn it at Kingswear or couldn't get it to he turntable

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

It wouldn;t need that as such provided the interlocking and control circuits were unchanged - which was the case.  This is a photo, which I took on the same day, of the panel is was being built to replace -

IMGP6819copy.jpg.d3cf21fcca78d7157c5cca1646ab3cda.jpg

Exactly as it should have been on the Kingswear branch because, for whatever reason, it was not on the list of sections where large wheeled 2-6-2Ts were permitted to assist front a 4-6-0 .  

However running bunker first might not necessarily have suited the crew on the assistant engine so maybe they didn't have time to turn it at Kingswear or couldn't get it to he turntable

They'd have been better using zero1 panels, might have looked neater!

Not my favourite railway 

3 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Croes Newydd West Yard 1966 by Katerfelto

Croes Newydd West Yard

Its when you look at a railway yard and see how smooth the surface around the rails is you realise that ballasting a yard back then creates the wrong image - a nicely ballasted yard is the product more of a recent railway lacking coal consumption byproducts to ballast with.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good evening folks,

Interesting to see in the above photo that the RU and allocation panels have been overpainted/blacked out on the Toad behind the 1628 heading right to left.

Are there two 1628s in the photo too?

Cheers, Nigel.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening folks,

Interesting to see in the above photo that the RU and allocation panels have been overpainted/blacked out on the Toad behind the 1628 heading right to left.

Are there two 1628s in the photo too?

Cheers, Nigel.

No, The Flickr captions states that it is 1628 and 1638.

Regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, russ p said:

They'd have been better using zero1 panels, might have looked neater!

Not my favourite railway 

The one we saw under cinstruction at Churston was amuch better job than the white and of course it benefitted from not having subsequent alterations made to the fascia.

The railway of course is basically a leisure railway tourist attraction and has to pander to that market and not to enthusiasts - that;s the only way it is going ti stay open.

• Like 3

On 20/01/2024 at 00:01, The Stationmaster said:

The one we saw under cinstruction at Churston was amuch better job than the white and of course it benefitted from not having subsequent alterations made to the fascia.

The railway of course is basically a leisure railway tourist attraction and has to pander to that market and not to enthusiasts - that;s the only way it is going ti stay open.

Is that panel in the little cabin at Britannia Crossing? I seem to remember reading that the whole line was operated from there?

Regarding the line itself though. Yes it’s a bit soulless in some ways, it’s definitely not preserved in the sense that it retains semaphores and pretty stations (although Kingswear is pretty special in its own way). However, to me it’s always made up for some of this purely due to the job it does in bringing train loads of tourists into Dartmouth who might otherwise try and drive into the town.

It’s also, in my humble opinion, the most perfect stretch of steam railway mile for mile in the country. Within seven miles (which some would say is the perfect length for one of these lines) it has sandy beaches, viaducts, a decent length tunnel, waterside estuary running, an interesting terminus, proper climbs that make the locos work hard and beautiful views of the Devon countryside. 

When you’re behind the loco looking at the views on the climb up to Churston it takes some beating.

Edited by Cowley 47521
You always look at what you’ve written and realise that forgotten a word somewhere
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Is that panel in the little cabin at Britannia Crossing? I seem to remember reading that the whole line was operated from there?

Logical way of doing it.  The nature and position of Britannia Crossing makes it a sensible place for direct human supervision.  So as it has to be manned why waste money by having any sort of signal box anywhere else on the line?  Ground frames here and there, including one which is a small local panel rather than a lever frame, are all that is needed in certain locations.

• Like 1

Something unusual at Clifton Bridge station (on GWR territory) - is it a Bulleid 3-set?

Plus the tablet exchange by the freight.

Along with a Wallace & Grommit motorcycle and sidecar parked on the station.

Andy Kirkham comments on the Flickr page and BoxBrownie3 says:

After September 1962, there was a regular through working of a Bulleid 3-set (from the final 850-865 series) on the 08.35 semi-fast from Waterloo which was detached at Bournemouth (initially West, later Central) and worked forward as a semi-fast service to Bath and Bristol and (until the line closed) Portishead!  The through working wasn't advertised as such but happened every day, I remember travelling on it from Waterloo to Evercreech Junction in 1965 en route to visit the Highbridge branch. It was incidentally the only day time train to call (unadvertised) at Templecombe Lower. It must have been a 2 (perhaps even 3) day diagram but I have never been able to work out exactly how the sets got back.

Clifton Bridge Station Bristol in 1957

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Clifton Down station again.  I like the glass roof and the ornate support pillars.

The plethora of large signs on stations from this era are apparent including 'Ladies Waiting Room' - the absence of the apostrophe is allowable I guess!  This was (is) the station for Bristol Zoo - about a 17 minute walk if you knew (know) the way. Also used for large animals that arrived by train for the circuses on The Downs.

"One thing that I do remember was when the circus came to town. It used to come in by train to Clifton Downs station at that stage, and then there would be a procession. Now I pride myself that I must be one of the dwindling few that have seen elephants walking up Blackboy Hill, and they used to put on all their finery, and they had acrobats and trapeze artists on the back of a lorry doing their thing, the tigers, lions, they had had them in cages on great big lorries. The clowns all going up and down the crowds, and there were crowds, I mean there were crowds all the way from Clifton Down station right the way up Whiteladies Road and the Blackboy to the Downs, and then they set up the circus."

A cue for @Ducking Giraffe perhaps?

Clifton Down Station Bristol

• Like 11

10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Something unusual at Clifton Bridge station (on GWR territory) - is it a Bulleid 3-set?

Andy Kirkham says:

10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Andy Kirkham says:

Sorry for the first one finger trouble. It’s a Maunsel 3 car west of England set with possibly an extra coach.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, KeithHC said:

It’s a Maunsel 3 car west of England set with possibly an extra coach.

This

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/maunsell-d-coach-set-399-br-sr-green-245411405

says

Maunsell 3-Set No.399 consists of: 4-Compartment Brake 2nd S3232S 7-Compartment Composite S5145S 4-Compartment Brake 2nd S3233S

Set 399 was formed as a 3-Set in 1926 and remained in service until withdrawal in 1962.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

She's fast, beautiful and a real rarity....

Derby Technical Centre 1974 by Geoff Dowling

The future of transport... (gbw74/23/15)

And a not so fast or beautiful Co-Bo hiding in the APT's shadows?

Steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 1