RMweb

A seagull nesting

Trainshed Terry

I dunno. Relatively safe from human predation, unless the crossing needs work, within easy reach of a steady food source (human generated garbage), and well sheltered on 3 sides. Pretty good thinking for a brain the size of a peanut. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another thought is how the wee chicks cope with the noise and rumble.  My guess is it will be part and parcel of their being so highly likely they will stay around the railway line.

But what a great idea for a layout; and one for the kids (and grown ups!) to spot at exhibitions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PatB said:

I dunno. Relatively safe from human predation, unless the crossing needs work, within easy reach of a steady food source (human generated garbage), and well sheltered on 3 sides. Pretty good thinking for a brain the size of a peanut. 

The real estate agent was being truthful - Close to public transport!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Another thought is how the wee chicks cope with the noise and rumble.  My guess is it will be part and parcel of their being so highly likely they will stay around the railway line.

But what a great idea for a layout; and one for the kids (and grown ups!) to spot at exhibitions.

I suspect they'll cope just fine, just like the abundant and healthy wildlife in motorway and other rail corridors, military ranges, and other, superficially unattractive and sometimes noisy places which are off limits to the general public. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

But maybe not so safe from the offspring of the cat who lived in the triangle of lines on the underground at Gloucester Road junction where the lines to Earls Court leave the Inner Circle.  Never got electrocuted and neither did any of her many kittens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

But maybe not so safe from the offspring of the cat who lived in the triangle of lines on the underground at Gloucester Road junction where the lines to Earls Court leave the Inner Circle.  Never got electrocuted and neither did any of her many kittens.

I suspect that most of the likely contact points of the average cat are too well insulated, with either fur or thick, dry skin, to provide an attractive path to earth. The one vulnerable spot would be the nose, and that's hedged about with sensitive whiskers which I would not be at all surprised to find can detect dangerous voltages long before contact is made. 

• RMweb Premium

There are Seagulls (incorrect term I know before anyone hits the QI Klaxon!) nesting adjacent to the middle road at Bognor Regis for at least the third or fourth year on the bounce and another pair nesting right next to the signalling LOC box adjacent to Montpelier No 3 siding at Brighton which I only discovered the other day when I and my colleagues were dive bombed by an irate bird whilst trying to inspect the underside of a Class 313...

• RMweb Premium

Not a seagull, but a very pleasant Pheasant

DSCF1129.JPG.3b7ed59574df8399142e2bc319f72d69.JPG

Nested under the rails at Rocks By Rail

DSCF1130.JPG.0ea6802746eab81f6b74475cbf7e9602.JPG

10 chicks were hatched just a few days after @AY Mod and @p parker visited to film a segment included in the latest BRM Digital offering.

I'm not saying that they had anything to do with the number of chicks, but a very pleasant day was had.

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2021 at 09:50, PatB said:

Perhaps it likes fish plates?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

There are Seagulls (incorrect term I know before anyone hits the QI Klaxon!) nesting adjacent to the middle road at Bognor Regis for at least the third or fourth year on the bounce and another pair nesting right next to the signalling LOC box adjacent to Montpelier No 3 siding at Brighton which I only discovered the other day when I and my colleagues were dive bombed by an irate bird whilst trying to inspect the underside of a Class 313...

It was probably just telling you want it thought about the provision of toilet facilities on 313s

• Like 1
  • Funny 1