Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

1 minute ago, zr2498 said:

Sorry if this sounds obvious but those plugs will only fit one way round. I am sure you have it correct but just in case?

That was going to be my next question.

17 hours ago, Wayne 56089 said:

If I’d have known that I’d have ordered a standard dc one!!! I’ll ring them tomorrow and hopefully swap it for a dc one.

Likewise. I don't think it was clear at all that these weren't factory-fitted DCC. If I'd have known I'd have just sourced my own decoder and saved them the hassle (and me the delay). 

Despite having £60 of my money since mid 2021, they still don't seem to know when I'll get my models after initially saying they'd be sent out late last week.

17 hours ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Just out of curiosity has anyone received a DCC fitted version from rails yet? 

Yes, I got my sound fitted 56093 Wednesday 30th. I must say it's superb, seems to be the only one from the range that doesn't have a cab aerial which means I can't break it off :)

20240131_181102.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Spanners Workshop said:

Yes, I got my sound fitted 56093 Wednesday 30th. I must say it's superb, seems to be the only one from the range that doesn't have a cab aerial which means I can't break it off :)

20240131_181102.jpg

008 also doesn't have an aerial.

• Like 1

I have just received my model does anyone know if there are any special considerations for the DCC decoder? I was thinking of using a Hornby HM7000 but will all the lights and fans work or do I need to buy a LokSound one from Road and Rails.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, ColinB said:

I have just received my model does anyone know if there are any special considerations for the DCC decoder? I was thinking of using a Hornby HM7000 but will all the lights and fans work

Unlikely as I think I've said before, unless Cavalex have their lighting mapped as below:

F0... Directional Lighting (HFO1 and HFO2) – (if installed.)

F21… Aux 1 (High level function output typically used for controlling LED lighting etc.) HFO3
F22… Aux 2 (High level function output typically used for controlling LED lighting etc.) HFO4
F23… Aux 3 (Low level digital function output for controlling other electronics within the loco.) HFO5
F24… Aux 4 (Low level digital function output for controlling other electronics within the loco.) HFO6

Function mapping is not available for the HM7000 series

1 minute ago, ColinB said:

or do I need to buy a LokSound one from Road and Rails.

Other suppliers are available 😉

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

None of my 4 are picking up on the fan motors on DC.

i’m using a Gaugemaster LT.

my dc settings seem to match the book..

IMG_8647.jpeg

ive also tried a 9v to the wheels, the loco / leds goes but not the fans.

Same settings as you and same result - fan less 🤔 

Just now, Chilly said:

Same settings as you and same result - fan less 🤔 

We are currently in contact with ESU regarding the fan use on DC. Our spec and the instructions received from ESU (they designed the circuit board) suggests the dip switch settings for the fans on DC however we need to wait for the ESU engineer to get back us as to why they don't seem to be working currently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Lyddrail said:

I am very impressed with my two 56s in many ways, but I have a couple of problems. I am a DC user. The coal 56 running was fine both directions and then haulage with Cavalex HAAs was going well until it stopped! It then moved slowly with my controller red light flashing meaning overload or a short. I checked it was not the layout by testing a different loco which was ok. I tried it again yesterday and it was slow again with the red light flashing, but then suddenly burst into power and drove away. It now runs fine, but a friend's 56 ran slowly from the start and today burnt out. He is sending it back. Is this a known issue?

My construction 56 had no white lights at one end that didn't work. However, I always switch lights off anyway. But I tried to switch them off reading the book but there is no central off position which the book mentions. I am also not sure why there are only red lights front & red lights rear, nothing for white lights, only cab lights + Power pack on and power supply on. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

IMG_7975.JPG

Good afternoon,

Sorry to hear about the issues that you are experiencing.

I have just sent you a pm.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Unlikely as I think I've said before, unless Cavalex have their lighting mapped as below:

F21… Aux 1 (High level function output typically used for controlling LED lighting etc.) HFO3
F22… Aux 2 (High level function output typically used for controlling LED lighting etc.) HFO4
F23… Aux 3 (Low level digital function output for controlling other electronics within the loco.) HFO5
F24… Aux 4 (Low level digital function output for controlling other electronics within the loco.) HFO6

31 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Great, thank you for the information obviously the HM7000 will not work. I should have ordered it with it fitted, it is normally a lot cheaper that way. It is such a long time ago when I ordered it I cannot remember my reasoning.

• RMweb Gold

Received 56070 today via Ultimate MR. Very well packaged, fast delivery time, and just on test (running in), before adding the HAAs.

I have to say this model has superb quality and detail. It's clear that Cavalex have really gone to town on the research and design to give us a model setting very high standards. The sound project is excellent, and this time I did not need to look for the brake function as the response enables sufficient control without it. The new ESU speaker really suits this sound project with a wide ranging frequency response.

I might have to get another, even though it is stretching my modelling era.

DSC09215.JPG.bc30fc39b80af9e076f7ecdc38b80165.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Great, thank you for the information obviously the HM7000 will not work. I should have ordered it with it fitted, it is normally a lot cheaper that way. It is such a long time ago when I ordered it I cannot remember my reasoning.

Don't get me wrong, some of the features may work, I don't know what functions are available on the 56 and what F0 numbers they are physically attached to

Managed to pick up 019 from Rails of Sheffield last week. I must say this new 56 is a superb model, captures the prototype brilliantly - the grilles are a work of art. 

The sound file and speaker combination is the best I've ever heard on a OO model - looking forward to testing it on the layout once the EM wheels arrive. 

It's so good I fancy another already, perhaps the EWS one.. 👍

20240201_153527.jpg.2f1ccec74cccd984ad72d8910e5346a3.jpg

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Looking at the hm7000 series manual. The sound version should have access to all the AUX ports needed (unsure about the fans as I’m yet to we confirmation as to what aux port these are on yet) however some have to be controled via the app and Bluetooth 

10 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Looking at the hm7000 series manual. The sound version should have access to all the AUX ports needed (unsure about the fans as I’m yet to we confirmation as to what aux port these are on yet) however some have to be controled via the app and Bluetooth 

I looked up the HM7000 application for the class 56 and yes you can control all four auxiliary outputs F21 through F24 so if the list ReigateModels gave me is correct then it should work. The only issue from the manual of what the LokSound does, lists one extra:-

Red Tail Lights (off)

Headlight (On)

Cab Lights

Radiator Fan #1

Radiator Fan #2

So I don't know.

3 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I looked up the HM7000 application for the class 56 and yes you can control all four auxiliary outputs F21 through F24 so if the list ReigateModels gave me is correct then it should work. The only issue from the manual of what the LokSound does, lists one extra:-

Red Tail Lights (off)

Headlight (On)

Cab Lights

Radiator Fan #1

Radiator Fan #2

So I don't know.

There was a list posted a few days ago that had the aux function outputs and what they all did. I believe there was a list of 9? Using F0f and F0r and then aux 1/2/5/6/7/10. Personally I’d then cross check them with what the decoder manual says. Can’t look myself atm as I won’t be able to get at my pair of 56’s until mid feb

20 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

There was a list posted a few days ago that had the aux function outputs and what they all did. I believe there was a list of 9? Using F0f and F0r and then aux 1/2/5/6/7/10. Personally I’d then cross check them with what the decoder manual says. Can’t look myself atm as I won’t be able to get at my pair of 56’s until mid feb

I remembered I had a LaisDCC 21 pin decoder in another loco, so I put that in to see what happens. 

F0 is front headlight

F1 is front lights

F2 is back lights

F3 is fan #1

F4 is fan #2

So it appears you need one of those special decoders as per Hattons class 66 and Accurascale diesels to get the cab lighting. So you are dead right, which I think means you are tied into a LokSound decoder. I don't think Zimo make one with that many outputs.

35 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I remembered I had a LaisDCC 21 pin decoder in another loco, so I put that in to see what happens. 

F0 is front headlight

F1 is front lights

F2 is back lights

F3 is fan #1

F4 is fan #2

So it appears you need one of those special decoders as per Hattons class 66 and Accurascale diesels to get the cab lighting. So you are dead right, which I think means you are tied into a LokSound decoder. I don't think Zimo make one with that many outputs.

Using the logic of F3/4 doing the fans, the aux list should then be;

F0f - headlight front

F0r - headlight rear

aux1 - front markers

aux2 - rear markers

aux3 - fan #1

aux4 - fan #2

aux5 - front tails

aux6 - rear tails

aux7 - front cab

aux10 - rear cab

*that’s all based off information on this forum. I can’t test it myself just yet. But once I have my pair i will and update if it’s not been solved by then*

Edited by Bryn_Bach_Railway

14 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Using the logic of F3/4 doing the fans, the aux list should then be;

F0f - headlight front

F0r - headlight rear

F1 / aux1 - front markers

F2 / aux2 - rear markers

F3 / aux3 - fan #1

F4 / aux4 - fan #2

F5 / aux5 - front tails

F6 / aux6 - rear tails

F7 / aux7 - front cab

F10 / aux10 - rear cab

*that’s all based off information on this forum. I can’t test it myself just yet. But once I have my pair i will and update if it’s not been solved by then*

That's the aux connections in the loco but functions can be programmed in software to operate any aux they see fit so will depend entirely how the decoder is programmed. It's unlikely that F3 will be Aux 3 for instance.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RBE said:

That's the aux connections in the loco but functions can be programmed in software to operate any aux they see fit so will depend entirely how the decoder is programmed. It's unlikely that F3 will be Aux 3 for instance.

That was me assuming a 10 function decoder was used and such the functions linked up with AUX ports, however you make a good point. I’ll update the list now to just list AUX ports

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Sorry if this sounds obvious but those plugs will only fit one way round. I am sure you have it correct but just in case?

Yep I have double checked that I was trying them the right way round. 

The one part of the loco that seems strange is the way the DCC is set up.

With other models, like Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby,  you put in any 21 pin decoder and the Functions are already pre mapped.

In the instructions it says which Fn to use to make the lights and other things work.

I don't know why you cannot use a default 21 pin decoder for a non-sound version.

Peter

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Peter749 said:

The one part of the loco that seems strange is the way the DCC is set up.

With other models, like Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby,  you put in any 21 pin decoder and the Functions are already pre mapped.

In the instructions it says which Fn to use to make the lights and other things work.

I don't know why you cannot use a default 21 pin decoder for a non-sound version.

Peter

For better or for worse it seems Cavalex and Accurascale are both going down the custom DCC setup route due to the extensive functionality of their products, to me the message is clear, if you want DCC buy it ready fitted. That clearly won't suit everybody but that's the way it is, IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1