RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

For better or for worse it seems Cavalex and Accurascale are both going down the custom DCC setup route due to the extensive functionality of their products, to me the message is clear, if you want DCC buy it ready fitted. That clearly won't suit everybody but that's the way it is, IMHO.

I have a problem with my Lenz LH90 System as it does not use Fn above 12 !

For my Accurascale 92s I had chips from DC Kits - that were programmed to use lower Fn keys.

I have two LH90 controllers with a LZV100 Base unit and to change to a new system would be fairly expensive.

Peter

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

For better or for worse it seems Cavalex and Accurascale are both going down the custom DCC setup route due to the extensive functionality of their products, to me the message is clear, if you want DCC buy it ready fitted. That clearly won't suit everybody but that's the way it is, IMHO.

Granted the cavalex 56 doesn’t have as many functions in use as the AS 37. But they have been far more helpful here from what I can gather. There are standards for a reason tho and restricting full functionality essential to one brand is not the right approach. 

13 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

The one part of the loco that seems strange is the way the DCC is set up.

With other models, like Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby,  you put in any 21 pin decoder and the Functions are already pre mapped.

In the instructions it says which Fn to use to make the lights and other things work.

I don't know why you cannot use a default 21 pin decoder for a non-sound version.

Peter

I’d take a guess that it’s because they don’t normaly go above F5/6. Which is where decoders seem to vary from the standard or allow different options for this pins depending on cv settings. As such it would leave them with more questions about why a certain function isn’t working when it might be down to the decoders settings and not the model

12 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

The one part of the loco that seems strange is the way the DCC is set up.

With other models, like Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby,  you put in any 21 pin decoder and the Functions are already pre mapped.

In the instructions it says which Fn to use to make the lights and other things work.

I don't know why you cannot use a default 21 pin decoder for a non-sound version.

Peter

Because people want the functionality of independently controlled lighting with different modes for day/night, yard, on trains, light engine, etc etc etc. basic lighting functions will not allow for that. We either have basic lighting as we always have with plug and play or we have custom set ups to allow for it, which is ultimately superior. We are currently working on our custom chips so that people can purchase them already set up to use to gain full functionality. People with lokprogrammers etc can already program their own to suit.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, RBE said:

That's the aux connections in the loco but functions can be programmed in software to operate any aux they see fit so will depend entirely how the decoder is programmed. It's unlikely that F3 will be Aux 3 for instance.

I know but it gives a good guide to what is available. In my past life I used to write input/output handlers for embedded microprocessors which is why I questioned how many were used.

3 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I have a problem with my Lenz LH90 System as it does not use Fn above 12 !

For my Accurascale 92s I had chips from DC Kits - that were programmed to use lower Fn keys.

I have two LH90 controllers with a LZV100 Base unit and to change to a new system would be fairly expensive.

Peter

Our chips are programmed to keep all of the functions for none sound below F10

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RBE said:

Because people want the functionality of independently controlled lighting with different modes for day/night, yard, on trains, light engine, etc etc etc. basic lighting functions will not allow for that. We either have basic lighting as we always have with plug and play or we have custom set ups to allow for it, which is ultimately superior. We are currently working on our custom chips so that people can purchase them already set up to use to gain full functionality. People with lokprogrammers etc can already program their own to suit.

I should have ordered the loco with sound fitted, I don't know why I didn't. So does that mean you will be selling the sound upgrade?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Granted the cavalex 56 doesn’t have as many functions in use as the AS 37. But they have been far more helpful here from what I can gather. There are standards for a reason tho and restricting full functionality essential to one brand is not the right approach. 

I’d take a guess that it’s because they don’t normaly go above F5/6. Which is where decoders seem to vary from the standard or allow different options for this pins depending on cv settings. As such it would leave them with more questions about why a certain function isn’t working when it might be down to the decoders settings and not the model

The AS 37 doesn't have any more functions than the 56 unless it's a WIPAC lights fitted one which probably has day night mode on that one.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Zimo mn340’s should access upto aux 9 at least. Unsure if they can work aux 10 or if that’s solder to the decoder only. Might need to adjust some CV’s to unlock all functions but they should be able to work them

Pinout comparison between an MN340 and an ESU chip:

image.png.41bf183e5df945fafc013f20c339297e.png

MN340 can do anything the ESU can do ... it just calls a few of the pins different numbers.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, RBE said:

The AS 37 doesn't have any more functions than the 56 unless it's a WIPAC lights fitted one which probably has day night mode on that one.

I should’ve made it clear I was referring to the modern ones with WIPAC’s. It’s been a long day at work and clearly I need some rest!

3 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Pinout comparison between an MN340 and an ESU chip:

image.png.41bf183e5df945fafc013f20c339297e.png

MN340 can do anything the ESU can do ... it just calls a few of the pins different numbers.

That’s a very useful diagram. I’ll be saving that for future reference. Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RBE said:

So is there a list of supported functions. I would like to use a Zimo sound decoder because I prefer them for their performance but YouChoos are asking for a list of the functions.

2 minutes ago, ColinB said:

So is there a list of supported functions. I would like to use a Zimo sound decoder because I prefer them for their performance but YouChoos are asking for a list of the functions.

F0f - headlight front

F0r - headlight rear

aux1 - front markers

aux2 - rear markers

aux3 - fan #1

aux4 - fan #2

aux5 - front tails

aux6 - rear tails

aux7 - front cab

aux10 - rear cab

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, RBE said:

F0f - headlight front

F0r - headlight rear

aux1 - front markers

aux2 - rear markers

aux3 - fan #1

aux4 - fan #2

aux5 - front tails

aux6 - rear tails

aux7 - front cab

aux10 - rear cab

Great, thank you.

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

F0f - headlight front

F0r - headlight rear

aux1 - front markers

aux2 - rear markers

aux3 - fan #1

aux4 - fan #2

aux5 - front tails

aux6 - rear tails

aux7 - front cab

aux10 - rear cab

Sorry to keep asking about this but am I right In thinking these are going off what ESU call the aux ports? 

as such, going off the diagram helpfully provided by @Bloodnok, aux7 would be FA9 on Zimo, with all the others lining up with ESU? 

Just now, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Sorry to keep asking about this but am I right In thinking these are going off what ESU call the aux ports? 

as such, going off the diagram helpfully provided by @Bloodnok, aux7 would be FA9 on Zimo, with all the others lining up with ESU? 

It's what they show as in the ESU Lokprogrammer.

• Like 1

56049 delivered today from rails but I appear to have no name plates included in the box 😊

Might help someone, I'm currently running in with a cheap Lais decoder and I have headlight on F0, markers on F2, fans on F3 & F4 but not much else. Will definitely be swapping it out for something more suitable ASAP!

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, fortesejunction said:

56049 delivered today from rails but I appear to have no name plates included in the box 😊

Might help someone, I'm currently running in with a cheap Lais decoder and I have headlight on F0, markers on F2, fans on F3 & F4 but not much else. Will definitely be swapping it out for something more suitable ASAP!

Evening Fortesejunction, sorry to hear about the missing name plates.

Can you please email cavalexmodels@gmail.com and then we can arrange to get a replacement set sent out to you?

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, fortesejunction said:

That is what I was testing mine with. Funny the 21 pin version of LaisDCC decoder seems to work better than the 8 pin. I forgot to add in my earlier posts that it is a wonderful model.

• RMweb Premium

A quick silly question if I may please, is the below decoder the right kind of ESU Loksound (59029) one to go in these please?

IMG_9161.png.90e64896c0635cccc8f450283107b8de.png

I’m a bit of a technophobe in some respects so just wanted to double check before ordering the wrong ones!

Many thanks!

James

3 minutes ago, James Makin said:

A quick silly question if I may please, is the below decoder the right kind of ESU Loksound (59029) one to go in these please?

IMG_9161.png.90e64896c0635cccc8f450283107b8de.png

I’m a bit of a technophobe in some respects so just wanted to double check before ordering the wrong ones!

Many thanks!

James

Do you not want to add sound?

For the lokpilot ESU recommended the 59619 but if you talk to rails they have been adding there own chips and have a pre programmed file for the loco.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, RBE said:

Do you not want to add sound?

For the lokpilot ESU recommended the 59619 but if you talk to rails they have been adding there own chips and have a pre programmed file for the loco.

Thanks ever so much Cav! I may well fit sound at a later date, for now doing the economy option! I’ve just put in an order at DC Kits for the 59619s, and look forward to getting the beasties going! 

Cheers,

James

3 hours ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

Note that not all Zimo are the same name per pin -- that table is for an MN340, which would also apply to MS series decoders. Earlier MX series decoders may have different names for the pins.