Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eastnate Dairy - OO gauge in an ice-cream tub

On 03/07/2021 at 23:34, TechnicArrow said:

Thank you! I'm glad you asked, you reminded me I haven't posted in a little while...

At some point earlier this week, I finally got around to the ground cover. I started by painting the (visible) sides of the rails and the bufferstop a browny-rust colour, and then added liberal mounts of dilute PVA and grey ash around the sleepers. The hardstanding is still the scalescenes printed surface texture, on a few layers of card to build up the thickness a little.

Whilst I was at the layout I also modified the bridge slightly; I moved the brick parapet forward of the girder rather than behind it, and sloped the front face back a little so the lid can still fit on the tub properly.

Finally, a few photos - this time with the trusty 04, which I don't think has made an appearance yet. I think one of the reasons I really enjoy this loco is the splash of green, yellow and red it brings to an otherwise very brown/grey scene; although this particular layout isn't too bad with the prominent blue doors and signage.

1055905064_9.Groundcover(1).jpg.3c06f8b11b4fa35bd49c909dd654e4c6.jpg

817249295_9.Groundcover(5).jpg.b57bde06b9a2d4fa906acf5bcf4331aa.jpg

107698772_9.Groundcover(4).jpg.e94a06746a79f29f1a477996348361a7.jpg

I really enjoy this view across both tracks, although it's only possible when there isn't a van there. I might build a half-a-wagon, to provide the soft view-block under the bridge but also retain some open track.

62176252_9.Groundcover(3).jpg.93990dfaf804b036fa64e3cc4a408c14.jpg

1799273035_9.Groundcover(2).jpg.bafe811f7582cf17520b67664467dfa8.jpg

That's all for now. There's not much left to do really; I need to add a left-hand building of some sort, and a roof to the dairy which will be incredibly complex to fit with the curve of the tub. And then at some point I've got to add a fiddle-stick and auto-run system, but I expect that'll be a project Dad can help with when I'm at home over summer.

This look great! Brilliant micro modelling.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Jerry1975, @Nathaniel, @Karl & @Ian Holmes; I'm glad you've enjoyed it as much as I have building it!

As an aside, I've been doing some tidying recently - so rate my shelf!

Featuring dioramas Eastnate Diary and Paper Cutting (I really need to fix the wiring on that one, the flashing LED doesn't work), as well as some N-scale static models, a custom LEGO Ivatt 2MT, and plenty of postcards...

Looking at Paper Cutting again has reminded me I've got some more present-day figures and vehicles that don't quite "fit" on the main layout, and the tidy-up has resulted in a little more shelf space, so maybe it's about time I built another one...

PXL_20210727_230805218.jpg

Edited by TechnicArrow
Pictures Restored
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Once again you have excelled in creating an ultra micro out of ... well ... next to nothing!

Might I make a suggestion? Could you find a suitable interior photo from off the web to put inside your building, to give the impression of depth? John Wiffen did that for the inside of his industrial boxfile kit; something suitably murky with perhaps a hint of tank ends and pipework might do it!

IMG_2051.JPG.980e91f87685baf204e2d3c623dc0377.JPG  

This image might be better flipped horizontally!

IMG_2052.JPG.839e05c11a2ecd8fb7305bb1c7837a98.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG.306e224642b288e92c17236bfcdae333.JPG

All the above images were found with a Google search for "milk bottling plant vintage", cropped and recoloured as a suggestion. NB I do not have rights to these images and there may be issues with copyright - will remove if requested!

If you decided to make it an ice cream factory instead of a diary, couldn't you alternate milk tanks (incoming) with refrigerated containers and/or vans (outgoing)? Plus an excuse for an Oxford ice cream (delivery) van on your hard standing!

IMG_2050.JPG.d27090fee0181d6a8e4826d454677160.JPG

All the best

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @SteveyDee68 for your very kind words, and excellent suggestions.

I always had a vague plan to put *something* inside the factory, I just never really thought about it and so it hasn't happened yet! That first picture looks perfect though; I might have to have a dig around to see what I can find.

And as for the vans - I might park a refrigerated van on the front siding; if I find a kit one, I could leave off the buffers and one end so it can sit a little further under the bridge. And that ice-cream van is exactly what I need - the hardstanding was added with the intention to pose a road vehicle of some form, but I was so busy looking at milkfloats I managed to skip the ice-cream van!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Look what's finally turned up at Eastnate Dairy!

1908817601_11.MilkTanker(3).jpg.7247aac32df16a697d0d5ee8cace33c3.jpg

It's been a year since it "opened" and a tanker has only just turned up - must be some very slow production!

This came about from an exploratory trip to my nearest model shop, where the second-hand shelf featured six weathered and boxed milk tanks at £12 a piece. Being a skint student I only picked up the one, but I may well go back for a second at some point if they're still there!

911517681_11.MilkTanker(2).jpg.7996615eace7a98c3dfc5f31d802c93f.jpg

Having a proper tanker on-scene certainly helps reinforce the theme of the layout, even if it's from the wrong brand of dairy! Now I need to replace the Vanwide with a refrigerated van of some sort, and find a road vehicle.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This is an amazing micro layout and one I followed through its build. It is still looking great and you can't be robbed paying £12 for a tanker.

Thanks for sharing. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Kevin Johnson and @Jerry1975, I appreciate it!

I've just gone back through and restored the lost photos from this thread; since there's only a page and a half, and I'd stored and labelled all of my photos, it wasn't too bad. I'm not so keen to do my Alexandra Wharf thread though 😄

I still need to put up some interior photos and a proper roof, but I don't see it happening any time soon - or that fiddle stick and shuttle unit. I'm too easily distracted by new projects...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Night Train said:

Brilliant. Whats the shunter in the last couple of photos?

Cheers! The loco is a kit-bashed Dapol 04 Drewry Shunter, that I built back in 2019:

Unfortunately the post in question suffers from missing pictures, but there's some more further down the page.

Although I cut it about so it fits over the Bachmann 04 chassis, it's currently sat on the dummy plastic one from the kit since the layout is unpowered anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2022 at 14:20, TechnicArrow said:

Cheers! The loco is a kit-bashed Dapol 04 Drewry Shunter, that I built back in 2019.......

And it looks right at home on this tiny micro layout too.
I'm glad I glanced back at this superb little scene. I'd forgotten just how good it is :) 

• Thanks 1