00 "V" brake hangers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a supplier of "V" brake hangers, I found some old Coopercraft wagon kits that I had squirrelled away and I have started constructing them and I find that the "V's" don't align with the centres of the brake linkage, the brakes do align correctly with the wheels, so I would like to fit "V's" that are somewhat more accurate.

TIA for any help.

29 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a supplier of "V" brake hangers, I found some old Coopercraft wagon kits that I had squirrelled away and I have started constructing them and I find that the "V's" don't align with the centres of the brake linkage, the brakes do align correctly with the wheels, so I would like to fit "V's" that are somewhat more accurate.

TIA for any help.

At present I have stock of several different V-hangers from Appleby Model Engineering.

PM me with the critical dimension.

John Isherwood.

36 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Why not try 3d printing them?

Small components like this are an ideal entry into 3d printing & you can design them to exactly the size you need.

You won't find yourself looking for components which are "near enough" once you can design them yourself.

What's the life span of a 3D printed V hanger - somewhat less than the time that it takes to fit it to the model?

Horses for courses, surely?

CJI.

• Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

The same as any plastic , whitemetal or etched V Hanger. 

You beat me to it.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

What's the life span of a 3D printed V hanger - somewhat less than the time that it takes to fit it to the model?

Why? The plastics used by home printers are similar to that used for injection moulding, so why should they last any less time?

The advantage of 3d printing is that it does not require any expensive tooling which can only be used for 1 design of item. This makes it suitable for low volume production & bespoke items.

Different types of printer use different materials, but from the same design (.stl) file.

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

The same as any plastic , whitemetal or etched V Hanger. 

In my experience, plastic V-hangers etc. are best replaced with etched or cast components; there is no way that plastic V-hangers are as robust as etched or cast metal, unless they are grossly over-thick.

Just my experience over sixty years or so.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I see that the  V5 minks had DC1 brakes and the V4 minks had DC2 brakes and the link to the Bill Bedford etches are for DC3 brakes, which seems to open up a can of worms. Can the etches be adapted to make the earlier varieties?

The 4 plankers appear to have Thomas brakes and the O2s have DC1 brakes.

Just to show how long I have had these kits stashed, the cheapest is marked 98p and the most expensive is £1.26.