Clayton Underwood - BR 70-80s

Davexoc

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to add the other development. The pair of bubble cars have been butchered somewhat. One driving end off each has been cut off and the redundant LED unit desoldered from the PCB, with one having apertures cut for windows to create a DMS, while the other has had the redundant drivers cab windows filled to create a DMBS. Ends and rear part of the DMS etched sides are a from a BHE kit, with the middle TCL being created from a couple of later Farish class 101 centre and trailer cars, cut and shut to gain the required length, internals being rearranged the suit the windows.

IMG_7775.JPG.eb8699a62177cece231120ca27b9336f.JPG

So, I'm now on a mission to complete a 3 car Class 117, before a. Bachmann announce one in the 'Spring (or Summer) Announcement', b. RevolutioN announce one as a follow on to thier Class 128 MPV, or c. Dapol announce one out of the blue, either at Alley Palley or Doncaster.....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Andy_C said:

Where did you get your class 20’s from. I’ve done a bit of surfing, and can’t seem to find any in the usual places?

They were purchased shortly after release, and I guess it will be a while before we see any more, last release being the preserved ones including the London Underground one IIRC.

I had been collecting for too many years before starting a layout build really, and the 20s updated my earlier ones, two of which are that old they have brass gears. I say have, because I do still have them in the stock box, along with some Poole era 33s that have been superceded by the Dapol offering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update. The bridge forming the downside scenic break is coming along, shown just plonked onto the gap, so will need securing and the landscape blending in.

IMG_7830.JPG.3713e6182c47128773758e63b43d59ba.JPG

Bought some BRUTEs and a couple of tow tractors from Mac's Models online. They are 3D printed and come nicely packaged in 3D printed boxes which means they survive transit in the post. Although printed in colour, they are a little translucent, so I used some thinned acrylic on the BRUTEs which has made them look a bit bright under the fluorescent lighting. I'm going to add some loads and the tarp type restraints on the open sides, as well as dulling them down a bit. The tractor needs a coat of yellow, and a few scrapes and scratches I think....

IMG_7831.JPG.62cf1c0aa3a7df17dd8bd7e5fcca137c.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG.8f8b251b5c26f6f78ff86f768a82a545.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a 117 created by much the same as yours but a cut and shut mix for the TCL, I also made a DTS for fun.  These were shown to Dapol MD at an open day and once finished shown more recently to Joel. This set the ball rolling - possibly slowly but at least the common tooling items were shown.  But three bodies and roof  and  all new chassis sides as body steps wrong, new interior for TCL and MS if really keen and exhausts needed so a big investment chunk. Still Hope is a good place to live! 

Great model and well observed details 

Robert 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So the brutes have been toned down a bit with faded rail blue, and the load restaint strips added using some blue painted wiping cloth, just need to add some mail sacks now. The tractors have had a touch of yellow and black to improve the opacity, and the lights picked out in silver and orange.

IMG_7835.JPG.dc7a6f79d4c762a5d0db9bc82699ec18.JPG

The bridge, exit stage left is in place and just needs some bedding in and the road completing, but this shows the general effect. The track also needs a blow over with a bit of grime and the industrial estate can then be sorted out too.

IMG_7838.JPG.1fe669120b96cba8baa4d8256cd39e9f.JPG

In the mean time, the class 117 is progressing, as are a few signals....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 6

They could still do a 117 by increments, starting with a trailer to go with the existing single unit. This would give them the other driving end body without a brake compartment and a suitable set of underframe details for a centre trailer later. The full 117 would be the final step - centre car body, brake end driving car body (which is largely the same design as the single, of course).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The class 117, or 2/3rds of it have stretched their legs today on a test run. All was well after the surgery, but I did have to resolder three wires onto the PCBs, as they are pretty fragile and don't like being pulled around during dis-assembly and reassembly.

I have stumbled across a fix for the over-bright marker lights, when pulling them apart the tiny lenses on broke off, due to the force required to pull the LED unit out. Without these light guides I thought the unit wouldn't align with the markers, but it does, and because it is now recessed, the light is more akin to what the real thing was like in the '80s....

IMG_7842.JPG.8f2c3372a8e1012bebf6adcea769942c.JPG

Need to get rid of those red buffer beams, and glaze the additional windows in the DMS. And finish off the centre car of course....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

How are you going to do the extra glazing?

Cheers

Duncan

I might try a glue and glaze on a spare section of etch, as I haven't used it before. If that doesn't work, it will be cutting up some Peco/Ratio clear packaging to fit. It is only ten windows after all, he said.....

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Class 117 progress, with centre car now added, but requiring a bit of rectification work. The masking tape peeled some of the white off the etched sides along the lower edges. Bit of touching up to do then....

IMG_7944.JPG.ce1bb4aeee7d83a2d951a8f24209f040.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

In other news, while RMWeb was down I've been building a few signals, using mainly N Brass Loco kits, but I had some 2 aspect signal heads from many years ago. I don't know where I got them from, but have used NBL bits including shunt parts to create this one. Probably not correct to site it after the bridge, but it is the reversible down line, so is only used as a starter/shunt signal. Three states off two poles of a rotary switch.

IMG_7948.JPG.6b0cb65013c659b80afc3c74b1f9e020.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG.5acacd8193ac69f69f745335d499a7a4.JPG

IMG_7947.JPG.2d3d1676f2cccbc149c9fbf5783f085d.JPG

As the white LED is different technology to the red/green, to get red and shunt on at the same time requires the feed being via a variable resistor, feed on the wiper, red/green via one end of resistance, white the other. Trim the resistor to balance the two out, simple....

Just got several more to do now, fiddly little wires, under the board, and soldering almost upside down.!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Probably not correct to site it after the bridge, but it is the reversible down line, so is only used as a starter/shunt signal.

Your logic is spot on.  Visible under the curve of the arch from a stationary train.  No problem.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Class 117 progressing, all back together with some decals added, but need a few more to complete it before a bit of weathering.

IMG_8018.JPG.4d9b7e4ea345d47fda8ccb82c72ec36e.JPG

A pair of 47s have also been through the paintshop. A pair of ex-IC Exec 'Titan' repaints, picked up when it was in the bargain bins (one as low as £50). Becoming 47500 in GW150 green and 47352, a bog standard freight loco. Used a Humbrol rattle can for 500, and was not impressed with it, far too coarse and thick for 'N' really....

In other departments, S&T has decided that the control panel requires a revamp. A new section of MDF is in the process of being cut and drilled for said works to now include switches on a track plan.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks, but the new control panel is progressing slowly. I'm still in the DC camp at the moment, so analogue controllers, 4 on the panel with 2 wandering ones that can be switched in for remote use, and reach the front for visitor (read grandsons) use.

The upper switches are for points and signals, toggles for routes and rotary for aspects.

IMG_8203.JPG.e75374fad3e3be6cc5ea56a0f5367f1c.JPG

The back is a non-electricians nightmare and requires some more work and tidying up. The panel is sitting lower than normal for working on at the moment.

IMG_8205.JPG.eeef1b0b17f8a4a11bacb4923288cab6.JPG

The fiddle yard has its own panel, with route setting done by a PLC (programmable logic controller). Because it is an industrial bit of kit, previously used at work for evaluation purposes, it is 24volt and so has its own power supply. It is reprogrammable, and expandable, and routes are changed by 2 button presses, new route (up or down) and the road required. The PLC then changes all the relevant points in one go via an interface board at each end, because Cobalt point motors are only 12volt....

IMG_8204.JPG.4ae9bd25e8acacea72e8b7fb9fff6dfd.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2