Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 11. Anyone going to install it? Plus discussion and observations, experience etc.

melmerby

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Win11verc.jpg.59a3f63686fbd4bd6fb00cbaecb68441.jpg

Then whoever refurbished this PC has forced Windows 11 to install, as the processor is only 7th generation Intel which is not supported. Surpised that, if you only bought it last month, it does not have 22H2 already. This article may help you get past the restriction and install 23H2.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been wondering when my laptop might get 23H2. The other day I thought I’d just check what it currently has and it’s 23H2 which was installed on the 16/07/23. It seems when I installed a new bigger SSD then it was what got loaded. The funny thing is it doesn’t seem any different to what I had before on the old drive, 22H2. Perhaps I automatically deleted the new apps/rubbish I didn’t want. 

• RMweb Premium

My Railway PC (Win 11) has now lost time synchronisation.

It's currently showing 23:12 on 08/12/2023 about 45 hours slow and I can't get it to sync.  It says it last sync'ed just before that time

It says there is a network problem. Strange because the network is working fine and another computer, a Raspberry Pi 400 sync'ed as soon as it booted up!

Interestingly I logged on as admin and it sync'ed within a few seconds......+

(It still says it can't sync automatically😃)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

My Railway PC (Win 11) has now lost time synchronisation.

It's currently showing 23:12 on 08/12/2023 about 45 hours slow and I can't get it to sync.  It says it last sync'ed just before that time

It says there is a network problem. Strange because the network is working fine and another computer, a Raspberry Pi 400 sync'ed as soon as it booted up!

Interestingly I logged on as admin and it sync'ed within a few seconds......+

(It still says it can't sync automatically😃)

Perhaps it needs a new CMOS battery on the motherboard?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Perhaps it needs a new CMOS battery on the motherboard?

If it does it hasn't lasted as long as usual.

I think I've some 2023s so I will try that.

But it's odd that the clock doesn't re-sync when powered on.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If it does it hasn't lasted as long as usual.

I think I've some 2023s so I will try that.

But it's odd that the clock doesn't re-sync when powered on.

What time do you see if you boot into the BIOS?

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2023 at 18:44, Izzy said:

I’ve been wondering when my laptop might get 23H2. The other day I thought I’d just check what it currently has and it’s 23H2 which was installed on the 16/07/23. It seems when I installed a new bigger SSD then it was what got loaded. The funny thing is it doesn’t seem any different to what I had before on the old drive, 22H2. Perhaps I automatically deleted the new apps/rubbish I didn’t want. 

Are you running anything like Open Shell on it? That might hide some of it.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Are you running anything like Open Shell on it? That might hide some of it.

No it’s just a standard install, well as far as I know. Don’t run cortana or any of that stuff, would get rid of edge if that was possible, too invasive with all the advertising snooping etc. Firefox I can set to suit. Perhaps that’s why it won’t work with this site any longer. This is via an iPad and Safari. 

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

No it’s just a standard install, well as far as I know. Don’t run cortana or any of that stuff, would get rid of edge if that was possible, too invasive with all the advertising snooping etc. Firefox I can set to suit. Perhaps that’s why it won’t work with this site any longer. This is via an iPad and Safari. 

That's odd too, I've not had any trouble with Firefox on here (I know posts saying "well it works for me" are annoying and unhelpful, but it does point at there not being some completely unavoidable issue). Agree with you on Cortana, Edge, etc., Heaven knows why the place I work at has decided nope, can't use Firefox any longer, must be Edge. Seems to be getting things 100% backwards.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RFS said:

Just did a standard boot up into Windows as i had something I wanted to do on the computer first and it sync'ed within a few seconds.

Looks like one of those mysteries

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

That's odd too, I've not had any trouble with Firefox on here (I know posts saying "well it works for me" are annoying and unhelpful, but it does point at there not being some completely unavoidable issue). Agree with you on Cortana, Edge, etc., Heaven knows why the place I work at has decided nope, can't use Firefox any longer, must be Edge. Seems to be getting things 100% backwards.

Firefox worked quite okay until about 2 months ago. Either an update to it or the forum software seemed to change something. Pages just freeze if I sign in, it’s fine if I don’t …. go figure …

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Firefox worked quite okay until about 2 months ago. Either an update to it or the forum software seemed to change something. Pages just freeze if I sign in, it’s fine if I don’t …. go figure …

Have you tweaked Firefox at all? Plus the usual stuff such as clearing out the cache and cookies.

• RMweb Gold

My Win11 update to 23H2 has been stuck for weeks like this now:

image.png.d5179dd042fd7572fa6f97d2b9f52f93.png

I was having router problems earlier so maybe they contributed to it getting stuck. (Router might have been zapped by lightning...!)

I tried some of the suggested methods for unblocking Windows Update over the weekend but nothing changed.

Looks like I'm going to have to clean things up manually - stop the update service and delete any files.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

My Win11 update to 23H2 has been stuck for weeks like this now:

image.png.d5179dd042fd7572fa6f97d2b9f52f93.png

I was having router problems earlier so maybe they contributed to it getting stuck. (Router might have been zapped by a lightning!)

I tried some of the suggested methods for unblocking Windows Update over the weekend but nothing changed.

Looks like I'm going to have to clean things up manually - stop the update service and delete any files.

Maybe roll back to an earlier restore point and see if you can move forward from that?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Have you tweaked Firefox at all? Plus the usual stuff such as clearing out the cache and cookies.

Yes, endlessly, well seems like it. No issues with any other website at all. Some conflict somewhere. Others have reported the same problem.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, RFS said:

The BIOS shows the correct time, In fact I tried changing it, Windows is not following it, it's about 2 days slow again and hasn't synced in the 30mins it's been on including an update

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

The BIOS shows the correct time, In fact I tried changing it, Windows is not following it, it's about 2 days slow again and hasn't synced in the 30mins it's been on including an update

Have a read of this aricle. In particular scroll down to section 5 where you check that the windows time service is running at startup. Mine was set to manual and I've had problems now and then with having to re-sync. I've changed mine to automatic so I'll see what happens. 

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2023 at 16:59, RFS said:

Have a read of this aricle. In particular scroll down to section 5 where you check that the windows time service is running at startup. Mine was set to manual and I've had problems now and then with having to re-sync. I've changed mine to automatic so I'll see what happens. 

Maunual Syncing doesn't work and it comes up with an error asking to check the network status.

• RMweb Premium

It was the BIOS battery but it wasn't behaving as previous PCs have when the battery needed replacing.

The BIOS wasn't resetting to defaults (e.g. 01/01/2018 at 00:00:00) but the clock just stopped where it was when last powered down.

That was the time that the PC sync'ed to😄

Boot up order didn't change, peripherals were still as set.

I just tried it again, it was at the time last off so I went into the BIOS and updated the time, boot up again and the PC wouldn't sync to that time.

Off again, change battery, update time again, restart, click on sync time and it sync'ed.

The PC has a quite versatile BIOS system, you can have two different BIOS loaded at once and have different settings for each and choose between them.

Maybe it has a non volatile RAM to store settings and as the time is a variable it stays at the last time that power was on, if the battery is flat.

EDIT

Just checked the spec, the BIOS is stored on 2 x 128Mbit Flash RAMs, so that's why it doesn't do a total reset.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1