The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 11. Anyone going to install it? Plus discussion and observations, experience etc.

melmerby

On 09/12/2023 at 14:22, Free At Last said:

I bought a refurbished Dell last month, is there something I need to do to get it to update?

Win11ver.jpg.929ac83eaff37036f4d754bd63ead67b.jpg 

Win11verc.jpg.59a3f63686fbd4bd6fb00cbaecb68441.jpg

Downloaded the W11 iso from MS and deleted the system check files.

Screenshot2024-01-04175821.png.b3c2ae91ff6ab4bdb3c93f6419b2440f.png

Hoping this will now update itself.

Edited by Free At Last

Had my work Windows 10 laptop rebuilt last week to Win11 which is the new standard base build for our laptops.  The move was forced upon me because Visual Studio and some extensions to it had become corrupt and no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling/repairing was fixing it.

Whilst it was initially slow and seemingly doing endless 'customisations' for me within a couple of days it has settled down and is quite nice and stable.  I even like it's interface and don't know what all the fuss has been about.

Quite a good introduction ahead of me altering my own personal W10 machine to W11 at some point - though I need a new battery and might upgrade my RAM to 16Gb before making the changeover.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My machine finally upgraded itself to Win11 version 23H2 today.

It had been stuck for months even though I had tried various things to unstick it. I submitted a ticket to my tech support people this week and lo and behold Windows Update roused itself! (That's real Artificial Intelligence!)

So I now have Co-pilot on my taskbar. I don't know if it's going to be useful or if it's just another gimmick. I asked it about Churchward and Collett and it gave a reasonable answer...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I will have to replace my laptop soon, it's now ten years old and spares are getting to be a problem. At the moment I'm on W10 and that was an easy transition from the previous system so I hope it goes well this time to.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2024 at 02:22, Harlequin said:

. I asked it about Churchward and Collett and it gave a reasonable answer...

Who are they?  😇

• Funny 1

I think that the problem with AI search engines such as Co-pilot is that they are dependant on what their searches on the web turn up. What they then create becomes part of the web "norm" so inaccuracies become embedded. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I think that the problem with AI search engines such as Co-pilot is that they are dependant on what their searches on the web turn up. What they then create becomes part of the web "norm" so inaccuracies become embedded. 

Copilot at least offers you the chance to say whether you do or don't like the result and if not to explain why.

I've told it a couple of times now that answers it gave were rubbish.

That's the kind of mechanism that's intended to prevent errors becoming ingrained but we don't know if it will work yet...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Not seen any watermarks or incompatibility notifications yet. 
I assume the updates I won't be getting may be any 24HX when they arrive as I notice some updating going on when turning off/on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Free At Last said:

Not seen any watermarks or incompatibility notifications yet. 
I assume the updates I won't be getting may be any 24HX when they arrive as I notice some updating going on when turning off/on.

If you go to a command prompt and type: perfmon/rel you will see Windows is updating all the time with minor tweaks.

Here's a screengrab of my PC showing what was updated on the highlighted day:

screengrab1.JPG.836f2575b6d916b563a05a3cee2a38bf.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2