RMweb

New to the World of 3D printing, Need Help!

13 hours ago, njee20 said:

I think that’s unfair. Fusion 360 is free for hobby use, and is very powerful. I wouldn’t call it hostile. 

I'll take a look at the free version.

I want to be able to do renderings like this:

1201782608_Screenshot(4).png.d868d68b39e2a7c80b17e74649d9e253.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s a very basic render, in fact I wouldn’t even say that’s a render, that’s literally just the output. You won’t struggle with that…

Edit: I just pulled this out of the (also free) Fusion app:

E7F1F374-548F-4160-824C-62903A112977.png

Edited by njee20

8 minutes ago, njee20 said:

That’s a very basic render, in fact I wouldn’t even say that’s a render, that’s literally just the output. You won’t struggle with that…

In that case please find the dxf versions I posted on Templot and see if it's possible to edit them with 360.

• RMweb Premium

Err… you could, given that’s what you want to do? Not sure me doing it is much help. 

I’ve never tried 3D DXFs, but I do use the 2D DXFs from Templot. 

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

you could, given that’s what you want to do

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough but I think I said I wanted to provide models that others could modify. I want others to be able to collaborate on designs. As far as I know it's not possible with STL files.

Going on a bit more (as has been known :))

There is "open" software but there are burglar-all open 3-D model file formats. They are all proprietary. DXF sort of works but it's full of holes.

We should not blame the companies that produce this stuff. It's incredibly expensive to produce and they have to get paid one way or another.

• RMweb Premium

You can share 3D files within Fusion, I do it regularly with a friend, they’re F3D files, and they contain all the data which DXFs are missing (being a very dated format); I assume (but I don’t actually know) that you’d need to convert them for opening in other software packages. If you actually export a proper 3D body from TurboCAD what is the file type? Or are you talking about the models straight out of Templot? In which case you can try it, as you know what you want to achieve, hence my comment. You don’t need anyone else to do it, surely?

STLs aren’t a great way of doing it, no. You can convert an STL back to a mesh body, but it’s messy and the resultant output rarely edits nicely. 

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

There is "open" software but there are burglar-all open 3-D model file formats. They are all proprietary. DXF sort of works but it's full of holes.

That's not true. STEP, VRML and IGES are all non-proprietary. In addition DWG, DXF and ACIS SAT are commonly seen as universal. Almost all CAD programs will be able to open some combination of all these formats. 

The question is really  'what is the lowest common denominator of the systems of the people you are aiming for'

From what I have read, it seems that many get a 3d printer to build almost complete models.

I took a very different approach to mine. I bought it to build components. I wanted windows specifically for my station building. Those from building packs were not quite right & my attempts at doing them with plastruct were underwhelming.

It took me a while to understand how to use the software, but a window frame is such a basic structure that it was an ideal starting point.

So where did this take me?

Chimney pots - not generic ones but funny square ones which were specific to the building I wanted to make.

Class 66 axle box covers to replace the Hattons ones which have a habit of falling off.

Multiple working cable boxes for class 86 & 87.

I have drawn up some seating for inside coaches but not printed them yet, specifically for class 319 & 321 multiple unit kits which are sold without seating. You cannot buy anything suitable so I decided that 3d printing would be my answer.

3d printing is great for things you need plenty of & can make but may be difficult to make consistently.

I have never even considered printing an entire wagon & designing one is well beyond me at the moment. I doubt it would come close to the quality of an RTR model anyway, so I have no interest in learning. The chimney pots took 12 hours to design, then a further 8 to amend after they had not printed as I wanted.

3d printing components has allowed me to produce buildings way better than what I would have managed without. For that, it has been well worth it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I'm totally different, different strokes and all that!

I suspect I've spent well over 100 hours on the CAD for each of my wagons; the JIA was most complex, and then EFE announced the N gauge ones less than a month after I finished! Are they better than RTR? No, almost certainly not (although mine use the correct font on the Imerys logo, haven't missed off some of the end detail and don't have the woeful all over black weathering!), but that's not the point, I have a rake of wagons which are mine. They're good enough. I'll scale them up to O in the fullness of time (once I have a printer which can print them in one piece), and for that I'll have some wagons that can't be bought RTR for a fraction of the price of any kits, and may even sell a couple to cover my costs.

Of course I use my printer for other bits - I've printed some window frames for a building for a friend, hundreds of couplings, a replacement valence for a Voyager etc but for me it's not what I bought my printer for. That said I'm planning to 3D print most of my forthcoming layout scenic items, it may not be the best tool for the job, but it's the one I know how to use!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2021 at 16:14, billbedford said:

No chance. Giving away CAD/STL files is as good a way as any of finding our work turning up in some Chinese catalogue. 

I'm afraid you are going to have to do what everyone else has, and learn CAD for yourself.

Not necessarily.

Templot is free, and in the next update shortly it will be able to export STL files for 3D printing of bullhead track, in any scale or gauge. No CAD skills needed. The STL files will be as free as the program, and you can do whatever you like with them, short of claiming your own copyright on them.

bibo_sockets_daylight1-jpg.1587

bibo_sockets_daylight_grey1-jpg.1588

resin_chairs3-jpg.566

Above 4mm/ft scale. Chairs printed on Elegoo Mars. Timbers printed on BIBO FDM. I'm calling this 3D Plug Track.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, billbedford said:

That's not true. STEP, VRML and IGES are all non-proprietary. In addition DWG, DXF and ACIS SAT are commonly seen as universal. Almost all CAD programs will be able to open some combination of all these formats. 

The question is really  'what is the lowest common denominator of the systems of the people you are aiming for'

Well, as they say:

"The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from" :lol:

Seriously it does look as if DXF is well supported although it does have limitations. One thing I've noticed recently is just how expensive 3-D cad software is becoming. I think the prices now reflect the real cost of developing and supporting these products.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

One thing I've noticed recently is just how expensive 3-D cad software is becoming.

C'mmon now, Catia and Siemens NX have always been the sort of software where if you ask the salesman the price, he knows you can't afford it. But you will be able to design full sized jet fighters with them. 

20 minutes ago, billbedford said:

C'mmon now, Catia and Siemens NX have always been the sort of software where if you ask the salesman the price, he knows you can't afford it. But you will be able to design full sized jet fighters with them. 

Yes, the top-end stuff was always very spendy but the lower end products are getting a lot more expensive now too.

A bit off-topic but I knew a guy who started a company to make graphic terminals. His business case was based on the assumption that Catia would give him their software for next to nothing :)   (His company didn't survive for very long.)

• Informative/Useful 1

I dont design fighter jets but I've  used Blender, Sketchup, Fusion360, Meshlab, Meshmixer and Solidworks legally and the only thing I've ever paid is US$40 for Solidworks. 

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned previously, I have been using Fusion 360 for my roadside and airfield vehicles and have managed this

aec_matador_6x6_bowser_33_full_body.jpg.cd71b886f422257acfd98355b108d81f.jpg

aec_matador_6x6_bowser_42a_in_hand.jpg.95d9bd4ec4b6618141069fb54e91bb96.jpg

and now I would like to move on to helicopters and other 'rounded contour' shapes, such as this Lynx.   Any advice on where to learn to do such shapes please?

westland-lynx-has2a.png.98c6f36c0d6c37ca15a4aeddf6369d3b.png

Similarly, steam locomotives such as the Jubilee and Staniers, with their rounded and contoured boilers would be nice to build.

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think the prices now reflect the real cost of developing and supporting these products.

Have a look at "Designspark Mechanical" - free from RS Components.

I'd call it engineering modelling rather than artistic, but it's a lot easier to use than programs such as Blender - and you can define exact dimensions for items as you work.

It handles multiple file formats and can import & export .step and stl among many others. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Royal42 said:

As I mentioned previously, I have been using Fusion 360 for my roadside and airfield vehicles and have managed this

aec_matador_6x6_bowser_33_full_body.jpg.cd71b886f422257acfd98355b108d81f.jpg

aec_matador_6x6_bowser_42a_in_hand.jpg.95d9bd4ec4b6618141069fb54e91bb96.jpg

and now I would like to move on to helicopters and other 'rounded contour' shapes, such as this Lynx.   Any advice on where to learn to do such shapes please?

westland-lynx-has2a.png.98c6f36c0d6c37ca15a4aeddf6369d3b.png

Similarly, steam locomotives such as the Jubilee and Staniers, with their rounded and contoured boilers would be nice to build.

Mike

Fairly easy to do with some of the more expensive CAD programs. You can make solids or surfaces from a series of profiles and things like locomotive domes are no problem. Someone may know of similar capabilities in free programs.

• RMweb Premium

It's almost certainly doable with virtually any CAD program, the exact approach will vary by program, but I wouldn't switch away from Fusion for that. For more 'organic' shapes like that I'd almost certainly use the Form tools in Fusion, which allow more subtle distortion of surfaces than bodies. I was messing about doing the CAD for some cars, but then decided paying $10 for an STL from CGTrader was far less effort! :wacko:

I'd also look at this tutorial series!

Given you've got multiple cross sections you could explore the "loft" tool if you've not used it before - it will join two sketch profiles on a plane. May well be a decent starting point.

• 1 month later...
On 12/07/2021 at 10:58, Pete the Elaner said:

I took a very different approach to mine. I bought it to build components.

I have just bought a printer (been on the lookout for a while, but wanted something cheap enough for toe dipping), with this exact intention. When I finally decorate my layout I can make a bridges for example, or station canopies bespoke to what I would like to do.

I don't intend on making stock with it, other than very minor things like you did with the axle boxes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, njee20 said:

What did you buy? Where they really come into their own for scenic items is where you want lots of them, due to the ease with which you can repeat items!

I got an Ender 3, was £99 on Friday at Box. Cheap enough that I know I won't get burnt if it isnt for me or I decide to sell and upgrade, and it is upgradable with other parts if I want to go that way.

The thing is until I know what it is capable of I aren't sure whether it is good enough if you follow? I know some pursue perfection with these things but for a model railway at 1:76 scale it is maybe less (or more) important!

• Like 1