Getting Started in N Gauge/2mm

Hi All

Apologies in advance for the long post...

I've been a dyed-in-the-wool 4mm modeller for as long as I can remember (40+ years), though I also dabble in German & US HO.  I'm working on a 4mm layout at the moment and whilst I enjoy it, I feel as if I'm just doing the same thing over and over again with each layout I make, and I do feel my interest waning.  My layouts have always been urban end to end (apart from the supersonic ovals as a kid!) not any longer than 10ft, set in the mid 70's.  With my latest layout, I'm modelling a different era (late 80's/early 90's) to see if that increases my interest, it does, but not enough I feel.  I'm rather envious of those with continuous run layouts, my modelling room just isn't large enough for one (11ft by 5ft)

Over the past few months I've been looking more and more at N Gauge/2mm scale layouts, there are some absolutely superb ones on here, and the latest one I've seen, Bluebell Summit, has frankly blown me away (its Andy Y's fault for pointing me to it).  I'm being more drawn towards starting something in N but I do have a few questions!

The type of layout I'd like to build is along the lines of a double track main line with part of a passing loop, or branch junction, set in the last 5 or so years, in the countryside, a 'watching the trains go by' layout.  New scale, new stock era, new type of layout.

In the scenic section I'd like to use the Finetrax products - flexi and points, they look relatively easy to put together and, to me, look so much better than Peco's track (which I happily use in 4mm and would use in the off scene sections), so the first question would be:  does modern stock run fine over scale track without changing wheelsets?  (Stock such as Dapol 66/67/68, Dapol/Farish/RevolutioN wagons etc) and does anyone have any experience of the Kato 800 on Finetrax?

I've read a few reports that the Dapol 68 derails on curves, is this due to the coupler being mounted on the chassis rather than the bogie?  My plan would be to use a simple hook/loop system as there would be no shunting involved, so I'm hoping that would overcome the problem if its due to the mounting location.

In a break from the norm for me, I doubt I'd use DCC, can anyone recommend a DC controller that would suit the motor types found in recently tooled stock?  All I have is an ancient Duette!

I think that's all for now!

• RMweb Gold

Hi M,

Welcome to N.

Pretty much anything produced in the last 20-odd years by Farish, Dapol and *cough* Revolution will work on Finetrax, as they have NMRA RP standard wheels.  These are finer than the previously used 'pizza cutter' Farish types.  Some continental models still use larger flanges, but I suspect these won't be an issue for you.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a great plan. N Gauge is ideally suited to "watching trains go by". The Kato 800 is a really nice looking train and the good news is that it tends to run along lines where other modern image express and cross country trains can be seen running. Both the GWRML and ECML have HSTs. The ECML also has the 91+Mk4  sets. You can probably find locations with 158s, turbostars and the like.

Doing something a bit different is a great way to get your creative juices flowing again. :)

1 hour ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi M,

Welcome to N.

Pretty much anything produced in the last 20-odd years by Farish, Dapol and *cough* Revolution will work on Finetrax, as they have NMRA RP standard wheels.  These are finer than the previously used 'pizza cutter' Farish types.  Some continental models still use larger flanges, but I suspect these won't be an issue for you.

cheers

Thanks Ben, much appreciated

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Sounds like a great plan. N Gauge is ideally suited to "watching trains go by". The Kato 800 is a really nice looking train and the good news is that it tends to run along lines where other modern image express and cross country trains can be seen running. Both the GWRML and ECML have HSTs. The ECML also has the 91+Mk4  sets. You can probably find locations with 158s, turbostars and the like.

Doing something a bit different is a great way to get your creative juices flowing again. :)

Im thinking of a northern cross country route, that could justify the RevolutioN Mk5 TPE set and the LNER Azuma on a diversion...

Getting rather upbeat about it, when I look at the costs of modern stock I baulk a little, but when I factor in the upgrades that I do to 4mm stock to get them to the way I like then some times its not much of a difference at all!

I know virtually nothing about current/recent formations though, so that's a big learning curve for me - do Cargowaggen bogie vans still run in revenue service?

M

• Like 1

Hi,

In order to justify the biggest amount of rolling stock then I would suggest basing a model on an area like that around Newton-le-Willows and Golborne/Winwick Junction, where the Liverpool and Manchester passes over the WCML with connection in both directions. That location see Pendolinos, Intermodals, Nuclear Flasks, Logs, and lots more on the WCML plus TPE and Northern services on the L & M.

Of course an Azuma diversion would be stretching things a bit unless you can find a similar location on the ECML.

My model is based on Wigan North Western, but I've decided that I can have the Revolution MK5's in TPE livery running there alongside their Caledonian sleeper.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi M,

It depends how accurate you want to be.

LNER Azumas have certainly operated on parts of the WCML on diversions or training runs.  Here at Carlisle:

Diverted Azuma

The IWA vans in unbranded and (dirty) Cargowaggon livery are still in use on aluminium traffic between NW England and Germany:

66135 - Queensville Curve, Stafford

The IZA twin vans were certainly in use on mineral water in 2020:

IZA 2380 2929110-7 departs Didcot Parkway on 1129 Dollands Moor Sidings - Daventry IRFT Reception 030520

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1