Express Daisy Sidings - Anshurst - an Inglenook

On 06/02/2023 at 14:37, Nick C said:

I'd like to say "It was good to see this on the Saturday" - but the truth is, it was so popular I couldn't get near enough to see it on any of the three times I went into that room!

Hi Nick,

what a shame. But it did attract a crowd, which I found surprising considering that this is small shunting plank.

Hopefully I will get a few invites to other shows.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, brightspark said:

Hi Nick,

what a shame. But it did attract a crowd, which I found surprising considering that this is small shunting plank.

Hopefully I will get a few invites to other shows.

Andy

I think that when people see a good small layout, it attracts viewers with the "hey, I could do that" attitude, wheras the big layouts that need a club to build and run might look impressive, but are out of reach to most?

Plus of course for such a small layout, just a handful of people is enough to make a crowd!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barclay said:

They are great fun, and a hoot to drive - quite smooth but nearly supersonic!

I meddled with this one a little:

WP_20200402_08_33_56_Pro.jpg.465efbaf25ffa034d6b46dd5bde177d7.jpg

And with this one a lot !

PICT1137.JPG.d15647b79e7ab619a6a63b2f6f700649.JPG

Second loco giving me South Wales steel works Alco vibes!

• Like 2

Just now, Weeny Works said:

Second loco giving me South Wales steel works Alco vibes!

Funny you should mention that - the loco is based on the premise that the Tri-ang dock shunter is Bagnall inspired, and Brush-Bagnall also built some Bo-Bo loco's for the Steel Company of Wales. They didn't look like this of course, but I think they should have !

• Like 1

They are both lovely. 

The orange works well.

Mine is still in black and the lettering is a bit battered.

So I was looking at the stripes on your models and wondered if it would be too much to cover the whole model in strips.

I was thinking red and white for a Unigate (I have to get some St.Ivel tanks) and calling it Humphrey.

Too much?

Enjoy

• Round of applause 1

On 15/08/2023 at 21:18, brightspark said:

They are both lovely. 

The orange works well.

Mine is still in black and the lettering is a bit battered.

So I was looking at the stripes on your models and wondered if it would be too much to cover the whole model in strips.

I was thinking red and white for a Unigate (I have to get some St.Ivel tanks) and calling it Humphrey.

Too much?

Enjoy

Not too much at all. There was a steam loco at Steel, Peach, and Tozer in ?? Rotherham?? that was on the cover of MRN in the early 60's in full black/yellow stripes - it looked amazing!

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 1

Well considered opinion from those who I put this too, seems to veer away from the barber pole look.

Yellow, as Mr Barclay suggested is popular and the shunter at Chard was yellow with yellow and black stripes on the buffer beam. But it doesn't press my button.

But all over yellow with black stripes

image.png.46a84983d9ce5ec33c7c9d150a990c00.png

Is this the yellow and black strips you were thinking of?

Photo from Industrial and ex BR diesel shunter restoration & groups news page

One suggestion was for Midland red.

Weatherburn or Deeley finish?

Greens seem a popular choice for shunters of the period.

Orange was also regularly suggested and I do like the look of Barclays orange version above. 

So unless further inspiration strikes, it may be a copy of Barclays loco.

Perhaps you could describe the two models please. (or provide the link if you have written it up already)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, brightspark said:

Well considered opinion from those who I put this too, seems to veer away from the barber pole look.

Yellow, as Mr Barclay suggested is popular and the shunter at Chard was yellow with yellow and black stripes on the buffer beam. But it doesn't press my button.

But all over yellow with black stripes

image.png.46a84983d9ce5ec33c7c9d150a990c00.png

Is this the yellow and black strips you were thinking of?

Photo from Industrial and ex BR diesel shunter restoration & groups news page

One suggestion was for Midland red.

Weatherburn or Deeley finish?

Greens seem a popular choice for shunters of the period.

Orange was also regularly suggested and I do like the look of Barclays orange version above. 

So unless further inspiration strikes, it may be a copy of Barclays loco.

Perhaps you could describe the two models please. (or provide the link if you have written it up already)

Hi - Here's that MRN cover I referred to - have always loved that look, but never brave enough to try and paint it (it is a bit out of my period, that's my excuse!) I do have this mag but have copied this from one of @Ruston's posts as it's easier than rummaging through the loft.

post-7249-0-34195500-1339104084.jpg.ad5bca208d1969e62accd94764aaac40.jpg.623061300bd59eec89c3c47bd5f41313.jpg

The orange dock shunter was inspired by this Hudswell Clarke I saw at Thomas Ward's yard in Silvertown in 1986:

IMG_20200108_0005-Copy.jpg.99c06f547612952a3ba2b27cf566828e.jpg

It's just a standard Tri-ang with Ultrascale EM wheels, and some extra handrails and new buffer beams:

WP_20200401_14_51_22_Pro.jpg.a8293dfa48a82e375b11aea5a18e9edc.jpg

And the big one is a straightforward cut 'n' shut with some etched grilles, and scratchbuilt bogies with Athearn sideframes - nonsense but enjoyable nonsense!

IMG_20210307_102559.jpg.55270ef77ccb6a13ee9f68ac6b886684.jpg   IMG-20210221-WA0000.jpg.5cb185113f0515e9b7dbaf9f699a5730.jpg

PICT1139.JPG.e5236c22d3462c566103c923cbdd33f3.JPG

Mind you, if a dairy owned a loco., and it was visible to the public, I reckon there's every chance it would be white, and pretty immaculate, perhaps with red striped beams and a red stripe on the edge of the running plate? Would it look cool, or bonkers, or both? Not sure !

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2023 at 09:15, Barclay said:

Mind you, if a dairy owned a loco., and it was visible to the public, I reckon there's every chance it would be white, and pretty immaculate,

If I owned a dairy that owned a loco it'd be in black & white cow print, with wasp stripes end - because I'm a devil for wasp stripes... 

Ralf

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Planet Industrial seem to be the only people who do a transfer for all over wasp stripes. But are out of stock. Does anyone know of another supplier?

Asking for a friend. 😊

Try Railtec? He has a couple of different packs of wasp stripes listed.

• Thanks 1

Planet Industrial seem to be the only people who do a transfer for all over wasp stripes. But are out of stock. Does anyone know of another supplier?

Asking for a friend. 😊

If you look at the theme of "Chevrons" on the page below, does one of these suit?

https://www.railtec-models.com/themes.php

Obviously when it comes to chevrons what's listed as a 4mm pack may give you what you need in another scale, and vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2023 at 09:21, railtec-models said:

If you look at the theme of "Chevrons" on the page below, does one of these suit?

https://www.railtec-models.com/themes.php

Obviously when it comes to chevrons what's listed as a 4mm pack may give you what you need in another scale, and vice versa.

Thanks Steve,

I think that I could use these with a bit of cutting. The body side/ front hood being 47mm long which is the same as the transfer block length. So 3 sheets ordered.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 06/02/2023 at 14:37, Nick C said:

I'd like to say "It was good to see this on the Saturday" - but the truth is, it was so popular I couldn't get near enough to see it on any of the three times I went into that room!

Hi Nick,

Daisy is back at Southampton at the end of this month. So you have a chance to see it again. 

Even better, if you are there, say hello and you can play with it.

Daisy has also been booked for Basingstoke and ExpoEM. And maybe one other show in Mr Barclay's manor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

But what colour is it going to be?

Looks like you got that wheelset in the nick of time, as I don't think they'll be doing those brass gears any more when they downsize their operation.

Looking forward to seeing the layout, hopefully twice, this year !

Colour?

Would it help if I post a picture of the paint pots that I am using?

20240117_220452.jpg.afe109dd4762e7df79798fa59b04dcd5.jpg

😄

Yes, very lucky with the wheelsets. 

Hopefully they are not the only source for gears.

Just been confirmed for Mid-Essex show in September, so see you there. 

Just prepping Daisy for Southampton next weekend.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to finally see Daisy today, and to have a play - it's definitely trickier than it looks! The layout is also a lot smaller than it looks in the photos, and really impressive how you've used the printed card buildings without it standing out.

I think I need to build an inglenook now...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Great to finally see Daisy today, and to have a play - it's definitely trickier than it looks! The layout is also a lot smaller than it looks in the photos, and really impressive how you've used the printed card buildings without it standing out.

I certainly enjoyed it...

53491315581_8e76141d15_c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Thanks Nick. And thanks to everyone else who said nice things about Daisy.

20240127_140859.jpg.0aefc297a9d05ec6a150d5012b11556f.jpg

NIck C at the controls.

High score today 75 and low score 18. Both by Alan (Bodmin16). The low score was a "lucky" draw on the cards.

More of the same tomorrow. 

Do come and say hello and have a go.

Andy

Edited by brightspark
Add user names
  • Like 8

Great to see Daisy at Southampton yesterday and great to chat to you Andy. As I mentioned when we spoke, you’ve inspired me to progress with my own dairy based layout in O gauge!

Cheers, John

• Like 1